View Full Version : how to share softwares with other ipaqs

alias2210
07-01-2004, 04:00 PM
would like to know how i can share the softwares i have to a friend's ipaq? it seems i cannot beam it the same way a palm pilot can. do i need another software for this? my friend wants to get a copy of some of my programs. 8)

dean_shan
07-01-2004, 04:11 PM
Open the program 'Beam'. IF you do not have a shortcut for it the appp can be found here \Windows\beam
Once you've opened beam connect to your friend, choose the file(s) and send.

Stephen Beesley
07-01-2004, 04:24 PM
would like to know how i can share the softwares i have to a friend's ipaq? it seems i cannot beam it the same way a palm pilot can. do i need another software for this? my friend wants to get a copy of some of my programs. 8)

You can share files using IR beaming, but most programs on a pocket pc are more like their conterparts on the desktop in the way that when installed they may put files into various parts of the devices file system (such as .dll files into the Windows directory). As a result many programs can only be installed through activesynce and just beaming the files in the directory for the program would probably not work.

That said, there are some programs are just an .exe file or maybe have all the files stored in one directory. In that case you probably beam those files. Of course you may not know if this will work until you try.

Of course the other issue is copyright on the progarms you want to share. If they are commercial or shareware then sharing them is obviously illegal!

dean_shan
07-01-2004, 05:06 PM
Of course the other issue is copyright on the progarms you want to share. If they are commercial or shareware then sharing them is obviously illegal!

Huh? How do you think it got the name 'Shareware? It's perfectly legal to give other people shareware apps. Infact the authors encourage it. If more people try their product more people buy registration codes.

tanalasta
07-01-2004, 06:05 PM
Shareware and freeware can be freely distributed to your friends - read the licensing material (if present) if you are unsure. Distributing serial numbers and commercial material is an obvious no-no. Generally, t/f programs via pda as opposed to simply downloading the relevant desktop installer at home is unusual practice.

To share programs:
1. Sometimes you can find the .cab installer on your PC or from the program developer's website which you can transfer to your device. If you beam this to your friend, double clicking the .cab file will auto-start the install process. This is the simplest way to do do it.
2. For "simple" programs which do not use the registry and have everything they need in the one folder, you may simply beam all the files over - a slow process. It may be faster to use Resco File Explorer to .zip the files first and just send that along.
3. If both of you have the same device or a compatible card slot - transfer the files to the card, slot this is your friend's pda and copy the files to RAM. Be careful here, as some devices may reformat your storage card if it uses an incompatible file structure.

Sven Johannsen
07-01-2004, 06:09 PM

Huh? How do you think it got the name 'Shareware? It's perfectly legal to give other people shareware apps. Infact the authors encourage it. If more people try their product more people buy registration codes.

If you 'share' the evaluation version, you are probably fine. If you 'share' the registered version....that's something else. Even the evaluation version distribution can be restricted by the author/vendor. You need to check the agreement that you accept by downloading your copy. Even the distribution of "Freeware" can be limited by the owner. Just because he gives it away free, doesn't mean he wants others to do so. Until you get to stuff that is Public Domain, the distribution is at the discretion of the owner.

Stephen Beesley
07-02-2004, 08:24 AM

If you 'share' the evaluation version, you are probably fine. If you 'share' the registered version....that's something else. Even the evaluation version distribution can be restricted by the author/vendor. You need to check the agreement that you accept by downloading your copy. Even the distribution of "Freeware" can be limited by the owner. Just because he gives it away free, doesn't mean he wants others to do so. Until you get to stuff that is Public Domain, the distribution is at the discretion of the owner.

Sven, thank you for clearing that up. I should have put more detail in my response, but I doubt I could have said it as well as you have!