View Full Version : hx4700 - specs

Rudolf
06-30-2004, 08:10 PM
HP iPAQ hx4700 Pocket PC

Product Description:
Exceptional performance and graphics capabilities for demanding enterprise users. Delivering exceptional expandability and graphics performance with a visually stunning high-resolution display for demanding enterprise users. The exceptional HP iPAQ hx4700 Pocket PC is a Microsoft Windows Powered Pocket PC designed with a visually stunning VGA colour display and a broad range of feature-rich applications to give you PC power in your pocket. With integrated wireless capabilities, enhanced security and dual-slot expansion, the hx4700 is an essential business tool for productivity both in and out of the office.

Key Selling Point:
Sleek, powerful, and feature-rich get more done on the go
Intel PXA270 processor and a new, 4.0" transflective TFT VGA 64K colour display, enables outstanding power and graphics performance to a large image size with the highest quality resolution.
With the new Intel PXA270 processor and a new, 4.0" transflective TFT VGA 64K colour display, the HP hx4700 delivers outstanding power and graphics performance to a large image size with the highest quality resolution. The innovative new Touchpad navigation provides screen navigation, cursor movement, and a platform for interactive input, to help you work more efficiently.

Expandable for increased functionality as agile as you need to be
Features outstanding expansion capabilities (Compact Flash Type II and SD slots) for greater storage and increased functionality.
The HP hx4700 features outstanding expansion capabilities (Compact Flash Type II and SD slots) for greater storage and increased functionality. 64-MB SDRAM and 128-MB ROM memory capacity enables you to store more programs and files, and the 1800 mAh Lithium-lon battery provides your Pocket PC with continuous power and productivity.

Enhanced security protection for your device, information and connection
Data encryption from HP ProtectTools, powered by Credant, provides enhanced protection for both your data and device.
With data encryption from HP ProtectTools powered by Credant, this Pocket PC is designed with security, in mind and provides enhanced protection for both your data and device. The HP hx4700 offers full Microsoft OS functionality for VPN and WEP enhanced security. VPN software also provides added security for wireless connection when accessing information remotely such as the Internet and e-mail (1)

Wireless capabilities so you stay connected in and out of the office
Integrated Wi-Fi maximise productivity by enabling high-speed wireless access to the Internet, e-mail, and corporate data solutions.
With integrated Wi-Fi, the HP h6340 can maximise productivity by enabling high-speed wireless access to the Internet, e-mail, and corporate data solutions (1). Integrated Bluetooth wireless technology simplifies communication between Bluetooth enabled personal devices (1), and IrDA fast infrared (FIR) provides a fast (up to 4Mbps), cable free method of moving data via infrared.

Integrated Bluetooth wireless technology to simplify communication between Bluetooth enabled personal devices, and IrDA fast infrared (FIR) provides a fast (up to 4Mbps), cable free method of moving data via infrared.

VPN software provides added security for wireless connection when accessing information remotely such as the Internet and e-mail.

64-MB SDRAM memory capacity to store more programs and files, and a removable / rechargeable 1800 mAh Lithium-lon battery for continuous power and productivity.

Innovative new Touchpad navigation provides screen navigation, cursor movement, and a platform for interactive input, to help you work more efficiently.

Free software with your HP iPAQ Pocket PC, with over 200 titles, you can download some of the best software available completely FREE of charge - it's that simple. Please visit: www.hp.com/go/ipaqchoice

Processor Type: Intel PXA270 technology-based processor
Processor Speed: 624 MHz

Dimensions, Metric description: 77 x 14.9 x 131 mm

Power Features description: Battery: Removable/Rechargeable 1800 mAh Lithium-lon user swappable battery; Optional extended removable/rechargeable 3600 mAh Lithium-lon battery available for purchase; (Note: Battery run time varies based on the usage pattern of an individual user and the configuration of the handheld. Use of internal wireless capabilities and backlight will significantly decrease battery run time)

Weight, Metric description: 186.7 g (w/o cover & cards)

What's in the box: HP iPAQ hx4700 Pocket PC, AC adapter, Plastic Flip Cover, Stylus, Getting Started Guide, and HP iPAQ Pocket PC Companion CD

I/O Port Description: 1 headphone jack, 1 - 22 pin USB 2.0 client connector, 1 DC power jack connector for AC/DC adapter connection, USB and Serial, SIR and FIR Support

Operating system software: Microsoft Windows Mobilet 2003 Second Edition software for Pocket PC (Premium Edition), pocket versions of Microsoft software are included (Outlook, Word, Excel and Internet Explorer for Pocket PC)

Software Included: Outlook 2002, Microsoft ActiveSync 3.7.1 (Desktop device ), Microsoft Reader eBooks; iPAQ Backup: utility for Backup/Restore to Main Memory, Memory Card or iPAQ File Store; iPAQ File Store: non-volatile storage in flash ROM; Utilities: Self Test, iPAQ Audio, Power Status

Included/Pre-installed Software description: Bluetooth Manager, HP Mobile Printing, HP ProtectTools powered by Credant, iTask Task Switcher, iPAQ Wireless: utility to manage wireless connections, iPAQ File Store: non-volatile storage in flash ROM, iPAQ Backup: utility for Backup/Restore to Main Memory, Memory Card or iPAQ File Store, HP Image Zone for Pocket PC: application to view images and create slide shows, Utilities: Self Test, iPAQ Audio, Power Status

Wireless Technologies: Integrated Wi-Fi 802.11b and integrated Bluetooth wireless technology
Wireless Technologies description: WLAN 802.11b, Bluetooth 1.2, IrDA (FIR); (Note: 1 A standard WLAN infrastructure, other Bluetooth-enabled devices, separately purchased equipment, and a service contract with a wireless airtime provider may be required for applicable wireless communication. Wireless Internet use requires a separately purchased service contract. Check with service provider for availability and coverage in your area. Not all web content available. 2 Wireless access point required and is not included. Availability of public wireless access points limited. Wireless Internet use requires separately purchased Internet service contract. 3 Wireless access point required and is not included. Wireless Internet use requires separately purchased Internet service contract)

Operating system software: Microsoft Windows Mobilet 2003 Second Edition software for Pocket PC Premium Edition

Ergonomic Features: 4 shortcut programmable buttons, Navigation Touch-pad, Touch-sensitive display for stylus or fingertip, Voice record button, Microphone and Speaker on front-side of unit

Power Supply/Required: AC Power: AC Input: 100~240 Vac, 50/60 Hz, AC Input current: 0.3 A max; output Voltage: 5Vdc (typical), Output Current: 2A (typical)

Power Supply Type: AC Input: 100~240 V, 50/60 Hz, AC Input current: 0.3 A max, Output Voltage: 5Vdc (typical), Output Current: 2A (typical)

Memory, Maximum: Up to 1GB with optional SD Card , up to 4GB with optional CF Card

Memory slots: SD Slot: support 1-bit and 4-bit SDSDIO/MMC type memory standard; CF Slot: 1 Type II

Memory, Std: 128 MB Strata Flash ROM and 64 MB SDRAM

Memory upgrade description: Up to 1 GB with optional SD Card, up to 4GB with optional CF Card

Internal Audio description: Integrated microphone, speaker and one 3.5 mm stereo headphone/headset jack, MP3 stereo through audio jack and speaker, 5-band equalizer for playback through audio jack

Display features description: 4 Transflective type VGA TFT color, 64K colors, Resolution: 480 x 640 Pixel Resolution, Portrait, LED backlight with power save mode; Portrait and Landscape modes

Keyboard description: One power button, one Voice Record button, one Soft Reset button, Contacts button, Inbox button, Mail button and iTask button. (All buttons are programmable except for Reset button).

Memory Type Description: 192 MB total memory (128 MB ROM and 64 MB SDRAM); Up to 135 MB user available memory that includes 80 MB iPAQ File Store

Mouse/Pointing Device description: Touchpad navigation with mouse-like cursor

Processor Description: Intel technology-based processor

Display Description: Transflective type TFT colour with LED Backlight; Number of Colours: 64K colour (65,536 colours) 16-bit; Touch-sensitive screen; Resolution (W x H): 480 x 640

Alarms:
Power Button: Charge and Notify indicators; Blinking green - notify; Blinking amber - charging; Solid amber - full charge; LED - Bluetooth/WLAN: Solid blue LED - wireless radio(s) ON

Audio: Microphone, speaker, one 3.5 mm stereo headphone/headset jack, MP3 stereo (through audio jack and speaker)
display pixel : Dot pitch : 0.126 mm
Display Size: 4-in diagonal

Keyboard: 4 shortcut programmable buttons

Mouse/Pointing Device: Navigation Touchpad, Touch-sensitive display for stylus

Video Resolutions Description: 480 x 640 (W x H)

Rudolf
06-30-2004, 08:12 PM
- The innovative new Touchpad navigation provides screen navigation, cursor movement, and a platform for interactive input, to help you work more efficiently
Mouse/Pointing Device description: Touchpad navigation with mouse-like cursor
- Memory, Std: 192 MB total memory (128 MB ROM and 64 MB SDRAM); Up to 135 MB user available memory that includes 80 MB iPAQ File Store
- (FIR) provides a fast (up to 4Mbps), cable free method of moving data via infrared.
- Dimensions, Metric description: 77 x 14.9 x 131 mm
- Plastic Flip Cover
- 22 pin USB 2.0 client connector, 1 DC power jack connector
- support 1-bit and 4-bit SDSDIO/MMC type memory standard
- one 3.5 mm stereo headphone/headset jack
- 5-band equalizer for playback through audio jack

Palmguy
06-30-2004, 08:32 PM
Sign me up!

mara6
06-30-2004, 09:14 PM
Did I miss the part about the price? :|

Perk
06-30-2004, 09:25 PM
Impressive size but heavy. I think I'll wait till second gen VGA is out. Very happy with what I've got.

OSUKid7
06-30-2004, 10:28 PM
Awesome! BTW, can you tell us where you got these specs? I'd love to know that all of these are true rather than just more rumors.

milkman dan
07-01-2004, 02:13 AM
what a beast! too bad its only 64 meg. Love the battery size tho! can't wait to see if this is real :D

OSUKid7
07-01-2004, 04:17 AM
too bad its only 64 meg.Up to 135 MB user available memory that includes 80 MB iPAQ File Store
So does it matter if you install apps and store your files in the 80 MB iPAQ File Store?

Rudolf
07-01-2004, 08:49 AM
Awesome! BTW, can you tell us where you got these specs? I'd love to know that all of these are true rather than just more rumors.
I don't know wheter these are final or not, but HP has requested the localization of the above specification. So at least they spent some money to translate it...
This could mean:
- They are throwing their money out of the window
or
- They want to use it somewhere on their websites... :)

Anyway there is not too much new information in it, but still nice to see them together...

Stephen Beesley
07-01-2004, 12:42 PM
If these specifications are for real then it would certainly be a device that I would love to own. The size would not really worry me - after all it is no bigger than my Jornada and has a 4inch screen! The touchpad would still be a worry- I like my games and the lack of a dpad would be a problem.

rtrueman
07-01-2004, 04:49 PM
Awesome! It would be nice to know when HP is releasing this device. I dropped my 3970 over a month ago and I'm dying to get a PDA back!!!

Thanks for posting this information. The USB connection is what does it for me. As a photo enthusiast I'd love to be able to transfer my CF photos to a larger, USB-based storage device. Then I can use the iPaq to view the photos. Quite cool!

Later.

Rob

Rudolf
07-01-2004, 05:43 PM
The USB connection is what does it for me. As a photo enthusiast I'd love to be able to transfer my CF photos to a larger, USB-based storage device. Then I can use the iPaq to view the photos.

Note that this is USB client only. Ie. you cannot attach the camera via the USB cable (or cannot use any other USB periferial) Hovever it's possible to insert your CF card into it and view your photos.

As for release date. Nobody is sure here, but I think it's no more than a month away.

OSUKid7
07-01-2004, 06:17 PM
As for release date. Nobody is sure here, but I think it's no more than a month away.Seriously?! Sweet. Unfortunately I'll prolly have to wait until I'm back from my trip to San Jose this summer. Would have loved to have it by then, but it doesn't look like that will be possible.

rtrueman
07-01-2004, 06:43 PM
USB client won't support external hard drives? That makes sense. I assume it's a driver issues, though. Is there any reason a third party couldn't come along and create a USB host driver for a Pocket PC with a USB connection? What good is the USB client except to connect the iPaq to your desktop via a USB cable? Seems like a waste...

Rob

cab124
07-01-2004, 08:11 PM
Does anyone know how the touchpad navigator on this device will work? The specs make it sound as though it moves the cursor around like a mouse does. I wonder how it would behave when doing things like turning pages in ebooks?

I am currently using a 2210 and the dpad is wayyyyy too sensitive. Also, trying to get a directional response without accidentally pushing the action button is tough.

I think the 4700 might just be my next PPC.

Janak Parekh
07-01-2004, 09:12 PM
USB client won't support external hard drives? That makes sense. I assume it's a driver issues, though. Is there any reason a third party couldn't come along and create a USB host driver for a Pocket PC with a USB connection? What good is the USB client except to connect the iPaq to your desktop via a USB cable? Seems like a waste...
USB host requires different hardware than just USB client, I believe, and it may cost a bit more.

--janak

Jorlin
07-01-2004, 09:53 PM
Isn't it odd that the 47xx is supposed to have 64MB RAM and 128MB ROM.

If you load applications that use a graphical interface it is a matter of fact that the VGA graphic files that have to be stored are 4 times as large as using QVGA.
It is likely that the Ipaq might run out of memory faster than you wish in when using more than one application at time...

You might want to argue that the bigger ROM solves that problem because no RAM is needed to store program files etc...
This is true but will not reduce the size of intermittent stored date in the RAM.

It would be much more useful to have 64MB of ROM and 128MB of RAM... especially when using a VGA device... :/

Very odd...

huangzhinong
07-01-2004, 11:48 PM
God, Jornada is back.
Same size, same weight, same record button and same flip cover as jornada 568. :D

In these two years, I really missed Jornada 568, thanks god, she is back,

Chucky
07-02-2004, 04:53 AM
Yeah I would certainly prefer 128mb of ram, as you said especially with a VGA screen, however I don't think it would make that much difference as WM SE (I think!) has resolution independent vector graphics, much like Windows XP so it is quite possible that they will actually take up less memory.

As for the touchpad, well how about we just wait and see, hell if my local electronics store sold individual Bluetooth chips I would go and buy an old Playstation controller or something and wire it to the Bluetooth chip :D

Stephen Beesley
07-02-2004, 08:18 AM
God, Jornada is back.
Same size, same weight, same record button and same flip cover as jornada 568. :D

In these two years, I really missed Jornada 568, thanks god, she is back,

Yes there is a lot here that seems to indicate son (or more likely great grandson :D) of the Jornada line. Apart from my concerns about the touchpad (and the fact that it will almost certainly cost way too much!) this would probably be my preferred next PDA.