View Full Version : How do u get the internet on pocket PC's???

simon1mufc13
06-30-2004, 08:01 PM
Hi,

I have just bought a new pocket PC but cant get it connected to the internet. On my normal PC i have a tiscali broadband account and was wondering if anyone could tell me how to get this onto my pocket pc?

The only way i can get on the net through my pocket PC is through the docking station, however i want to be able to move around and go on the net.

Please can someone give me some simple step by step instructions on how to do this as i am a beginner who knows nothing :cry:

JakeP
06-30-2004, 08:41 PM
What brand and model PDA did you buy?
Does it have wifi support?

simon1mufc13
06-30-2004, 08:46 PM
Hi,

Its a mio 338

Kowalski
06-30-2004, 10:04 PM
i use a BT enabled phone and gprs connection and get online wherever i want! excellent :D

Robb Bates
06-30-2004, 10:27 PM
Generally, the same way you would get onto the internet with a laptop computer. You have to have some form of connection.

1) Bluetooth connection to a cell phone with some form of internet connection. Most all GSM phones use GPRS.
2) WiFi to a broadband router or LAN at your work.
3) Built in phone for Phone Edition PPC
4) Compact Flash Modem card
5) Infrared to a cell phone
6) Ethernet Network Compact Flash Card

For Internet anywhere, I suggest a cell phone. If your Mio has bluetooth, then find a bluetooth enabled cell phone with high speed data.

If you just want internet at work or at home, try the WiFi route. Assuming that you have WiFi at home/work and have some form of WiFi on your PPC.

OK, I just looked at the specs for the Mio 338. Your options are limited. You should look into a bluetooth or Wifi SD Card and one of the above matching options.

I'm using my iPaq h2210 and a Sony Ericcson T610 w/GPRS via bluetooth.

Robb

simon1mufc13
06-30-2004, 11:17 PM
Thanks for the info,

Can u please give me some step by step instructions on how to set up a bluetooth internet account through my tiscali broadband which i currently have on my normal PC

Thanks

Robb Bates
06-30-2004, 11:23 PM
Does your PPC have bluetooth? I didn't see bluetooth listed in the Mio 338 specs.

Robb

simon1mufc13
07-01-2004, 07:46 PM
not sure mate, dont think it has after checking the box though

davidlim
07-01-2004, 11:37 PM
Generally, the same way you would get onto the internet with a laptop computer. You have to have some form of connection.

1) Bluetooth connection to a cell phone with some form of internet connection. Most all GSM phones use GPRS.
2) WiFi to a broadband router or LAN at your work.
3) Built in phone for Phone Edition PPC
4) Compact Flash Modem card
5) Infrared to a cell phone
6) Ethernet Network Compact Flash Card

For Internet anywhere, I suggest a cell phone. If your Mio has bluetooth, then find a bluetooth enabled cell phone with high speed data.

If you just want internet at work or at home, try the WiFi route. Assuming that you have WiFi at home/work and have some form of WiFi on your PPC.

OK, I just looked at the specs for the Mio 338. Your options are limited. You should look into a bluetooth or Wifi SD Card and one of the above matching options.

I'm using my iPaq h2210 and a Sony Ericcson T610 w/GPRS via bluetooth.

Robb

What phone number did you use to dial into for the bluetooth connection? I have the 4150 and the T616.....could you help me set it up?

maximus
07-02-2004, 02:03 AM
2 steps :

1. Configure your sony ericsson to do GPRS wither by instructing it to get the setting directly from your GSM operator, or by setting it manually. Information on GPRS setup should be on your GSM operator's website.

2. Pair the sony ericsson to your PDA. I used an ipaq 2210 once, and connecting it to a motorola V600 is as easy as turning the bluetooth radio on, and tapping search. Do the same for your sony ericsson. When both are found, there will be a question whether you want to pair or not, tap/click on yes. Done.

Sorry, cant be more detailed, I am not really a user of sony ericsson...

aliensub
07-02-2004, 02:16 AM
What phone number did you use to dial into for the bluetooth connection? I have the 4150 and the T616.....could you help me set it up?

It can very a little but these 2 things to do the trick is:
number should be *99***1# (can very with your carrier, have experienced some use 98.) The number 1 reffers to the connection in your phone.

The init string should be:
+cgdcont=1,"ip","internet" (where internet is the GRPS APN).

This is for a normal GPRS connection.