View Full Version : How do you carry your Pocket PC?

Perk
06-30-2004, 06:53 PM
I'm curious how this will turn out. I've been carrying mine for years naked in my front left pant pocket with the screen facing in. I've tried several cases over the years and never found one that I was really happy with.

Zack Mahdavi
06-30-2004, 07:47 PM
I purchased my 4155 because it's small and will fit in my pocket. I keep it in its Sena case at all times.

Ryan Joseph
06-30-2004, 07:53 PM
Whoa, the thought of carrying my device naked, as you put it would terrify me.

I keep mine in a metal case and I'm still scared of bumping it. I can't tell you how many times I've banged into something and the case was in my pocket.

buckyg
06-30-2004, 08:44 PM
It's in a nice Made by Whitney leather CF case. When not in use and I'm on the go, it's in my laptop bag.

Kowalski
06-30-2004, 10:16 PM
i boought myself a small camera case and i carry my credit cards, and headphones in that case which has a belt clip

milkman dan
07-01-2004, 01:49 AM
I carry my 2215 in the case it came with in my left pants pocket , screen facing in. My old 3670 I caryed naked the same way, and I used the case the e-100 came with the rare times I felt like lugging that tank outside of my house :)

CTSLICK
07-01-2004, 02:13 AM
Rhinoskin Titanium.

Expensive? Yes
Heavy? Yes
Saved my X5 at least 6 times? Very likely

I have dropped or banged my poor X5 around many times and the case has the battle scars to prove...which is how it should be.

Oh yeah...I can sling my X5 into my briefcase, or a backpack or wherever with a fair amount of confidence that it'll will survive without damage.

foldedspace
07-01-2004, 02:31 AM
I like the metal cases, but I hate having to take it out every time I want to use it and it's worse to use it the case while the door hangs off to the side. And trying to use the D-Pad to play games is difficult if not impossible.

Ryan Joseph
07-01-2004, 05:20 AM
I like the metal cases, but I hate having to take it out every time I want to use it and it's worse to use it the case while the door hangs off to the side. And trying to use the D-Pad to play games is difficult if not impossible.

Here's something worse...for phone edition devices, metal cases can reduce reception by as much as half! 8O

So I have to take my i-mate out of its case when I'm in a low reception area.

Stephen Beesley
07-01-2004, 09:28 AM
Generally my Jornada goes "naked" in the front pocket of of my pants or in an inside Jacket pocket when I am wearing a suit. Fortunately the flip screen means I do not have to worry about the screen too much (even less worry when I had a Jornada 545 with it's loverly metal case and screen cover).

I do have a Krussel leather case for the Jornada, which I use occassionally. General, however, the case is reduced to being carried around in my courier bag as a holder for my spare batteries and wifi card.

Robb Bates
07-01-2004, 05:21 PM
h2210 inside a HP leather belt case. PN: FA160A

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/media/users/13188/i239382.jpg

This is a very nice case. Easy access, storage for two SD cards, Strong magnetic closure, access to headphone jacks. Compatible with h19xx, h22xx, h41xx and supposedly, the h6300 (or whatever it's going to be called)

It has a leather covered metal belt clip and is attached to your belt in a landscape orientation. Oh, and the price is right. ~$25

CONS: no room for WiFi CF Card.

I used to carry my h1910 in my pocket without any case and the screen got covered with pocket lint and sweat. Neither is good for a PPC.

Robb

surur
07-01-2004, 08:06 PM
What happened to "on your belt"? Or is that the same as in a holster (which I voted). When I had a Jornada I always used to carry it naked in my pocket, but once the flip lid died (with the Jornanda) I switched over to belt cases, and never looked back. Accessible, convenient and relatively safe, and when it slips of, you know it.

When I get my Mpx I hope to go back to "naked in the front pocket "again :)

Surur

MacBriar
07-01-2004, 08:44 PM
Originally I carried my 2210 in a Proporta Aluminium case in my shirt pocket. Then I got a free Pocket Loox 610 which had a case with belt clip etc, I had to use this in work for a couple of weeks (needed the builtin WIFI) and I got used to the convenience of the belt clip.

So now I carry my 2210 snugly in its metal case inside the Pocket Loox case on my belt. Sad eh !

Ewan

dunneldeen
07-01-2004, 08:59 PM
Originally I carried my 2210 in a Proporta Aluminium case in my shirt pocket. Then I got a free Pocket Loox 610 which had a case with belt clip etc, I had to use this in work for a couple of weeks (needed the builtin WIFI) and I got used to the convenience of the belt clip.

So now I carry my 2210 snugly in its metal case inside the Pocket Loox case on my belt. Sad eh !

Ewan

Not sad, convenient. I've carried my 2215 in it's metal case, in an iHolder designed for my old iPaq 3635 (works great when you want belt convenience, but metal safety.)

JimPAQ
07-01-2004, 10:53 PM
I use the same leather case to carry my 2215 that I used for my Jornada. Now that I look at it, it's in bad shape. I need to replace it. I better go do that now and while I'm there I'll "look around" :wink:

--Jim

maximus
07-02-2004, 02:06 AM
I'm curious how this will turn out. I've been carrying mine for years naked in my front left pant pocket with the screen facing in. I've tried several cases over the years and never found one that I was really happy with.

When I carried my axim your way (front pants pocket, screen facing in), the screen got some moist on it. Bad bad bad.

So i purchased a hard plastic cover and hang it on my belt. But lately I put my axim with the hard plastic cover in my front pants pocket.

ctmagnus
07-02-2004, 04:01 AM
Warm season:

*Titanium case in my pocket when I walk the dog

*Vaja case on my belt when I want other stuff in my pockets

*Piel Frama case on my belt when I don't feel like taking my Vaja

*Piel Frama case in my pocket with Interac card in the case when I go someplace but don't want to take my wallet

*HP Professional case in my pocket when I feel like it

Cold season:

As above, but may also be in the breast pocket of an eVest.

Brad Adrian
07-02-2004, 04:11 AM
As convenient as it often is to carry my Pocket PC on my belt, I've been trying really hard to fight the temptation to do so. My teenage kids refust to be seen with me unless I have my Pocket PC neatly stowed away where it's less likely to set off any nerd alarms.

MarvinSamiano
07-02-2004, 09:24 AM
I carry my 5555 in its case that it came in, but added an expansion pack with a bulky external battery in my pocket. Makes an unsightly bulge, but I am always afraid, perhaps unneccesarily, that if I carry it on my belt that it will not be secure and I will lose it.

Kaber
07-02-2004, 09:35 AM
In my hand. Or in a backpack full of PDA gizmos. It is always in its custom dual sleeve leather flip front (vertical) case.

Backpacks rule!

Jeff Rutledge
07-02-2004, 03:01 PM
I used to wear my iPAQ on my belt in a leather case all the time. But when I got a Blackberry for work, my iPAQ got "demoted" to a metal case in my pocket or laptop bag.

babykaye
07-07-2004, 11:57 PM
I just bought my HP Ipaq 4155 and a couple of weeks I dropped it and broke my LCD so Ihave to pay $189 for repair. Now Im using the Clear Case for it.

portnoy
07-08-2004, 12:14 PM
I carry mine (Toshiba e335) in my shirt pocket in a Krusell case most of the time. I did buy a clip kit for those rare times when a shirt pocket is either not available or not practical. But the Toshiba is ALWAYS with me and close at hand.

kosmicki
07-08-2004, 06:34 PM
As convenient as it often is to carry my Pocket PC on my belt, I've been trying really hard to fight the temptation to do so. My teenage kids refust to be seen with me unless I have my Pocket PC neatly stowed away where it's less likely to set off any nerd alarms.

Bah, I'm still technically a teenager, and I carry my 2215 in a Sena with a belt clip. (I voted holster also) I’m a geek, not a nerd. :P

I love having it on my belt, I work in a computer lab, so it’s nice to be able to just snap it into its clip when I need to go help someone.

netboy_my
07-09-2004, 05:54 PM
I put my h4150 to the Krusell case and it's really handy to clip it on the belt when you're on the go.

szamot
07-09-2004, 11:57 PM
I always disliked cases because they are bulky. I have been playing with Palms and PPC's now for over 7 years, always carried them in my front pant pocket and never, not once did I ever damage it.

jbachandouris
07-10-2004, 11:24 PM
After the included slip case 'slipped', dumping my HP 4155 onto the pavement, I bought a Rhinoskin Aluminum case from CompUsa for $29.99. Luckily, the fall only caused barely noticeable cosmetic damage on the top left corner (the black part, so you can't even tell).

Jereboam
07-12-2004, 05:50 PM
I couldn't vote...one of the main reasons I use my Pocket PC so much is the ease of carrying it that my Vaja case, with a belt clip, brings.

Doesn't matter if I'm wearing a suit, jeans, shorts, it's always in the same place.

J'bm

Thaedson
07-12-2004, 07:50 PM
On which expansion/attachment I have on it. :)

If its "naked" then the HP holster on my belt. (jeans)
If its "naked" then my inside suit pocket. (office)
If its the Navman usually the Akron Mount.
If its in the HP Extended Battery with CF - in my hand or briefcase.
If its attached to the keyboard its on my desk or the conference room table.

What I need to find is a good looking Professional yet durable container to put all my attachments/cords/expansions/SD/CF Cards in so that I don't lose them in the clutter.... any suggestions?

Jeff Song
07-12-2004, 08:43 PM
Usually, I carry my 4355 in its Sena Case in my left pocket. Sometimes, i carry it naked in the same pocket.

I'm thinking about getting a Krusell case and use the multi-clip and clip it to my belt.

Jereboam
07-12-2004, 09:11 PM
On which expansion/attachment I have on it. :)

If its "naked" then the HP holster on my belt. (jeans)
If its "naked" then my inside suit pocket. (office)
If its the Navman usually the Akron Mount.
If its in the HP Extended Battery with CF - in my hand or briefcase.
If its attached to the keyboard its on my desk or the conference room table.

What I need to find is a good looking Professional yet durable container to put all my attachments/cords/expansions/SD/CF Cards in so that I don't lose them in the clutter.... any suggestions?

Try the Pod (http://www.ebags.com/roadwired/the_pod/product_detail/index.cfm?modelid=12097)...it's perfect for what you are looking for...

J'bm

Don Tolson
07-12-2004, 09:50 PM
Your options didn't include two I need -- a) My PDA is my organizer! and b) in a cool, neoprene case from Active Armor!

dmacburry2003
07-12-2004, 10:49 PM
I don't carry my PPC in my pocket without a case because it might get scratched.

A looooooong time ago I had one of those Pikamogachi thingys (don't know the proper name, but those little pets) just to see what it did, and carrying it around in my pocket wore ALL the paint off of it 8O ALL of it.

Ever since then I've been deathly afraid of carrying plastic devices in my pocket worrying that they might come out black--instead of silver.

Also I my Nino got some screen scratches from my jeans.

This is why I always carry my PPC around in a leather case that covers the ENTIRE unit.