View Full Version : Is the new Motorola v600 PPC-friendly?

yanathin
06-29-2004, 06:13 AM
I've really been shuffling around my options for getting a new PPC/phone combo, and I've come to realize that the main features I want to have can just be in the phone itself. This way I don't have to buy a new PPC, too.

The Motorola v600 is an extremely nice phone... My friend has one, and I couldn't stop playing with it. However, I didn't get the chance to try to use it as a modem and connect to the internet with my 4150. Does anybody know if it works as well with the v600 as it does with the SE z600 or other well-known bluetooth phones? I'm hoping for better reliability than my T610... I always get poor reception and it randomly kicks me off all the time either because of no signal or because the phone completely freezes and resets itself.

Anyway, if anybody's had experience connecting their iPAQ with the v600, please let me know how it went. Thanks!

Kowalski
06-29-2004, 08:33 AM
you say you are complaining about reliability of t610?. this may be because the phone you used has a very old firmware.
i have a z600 and i've never ever experienced any problems, poor reception, random kicks etc. this is what i call reliability!
you say you like the v600, so how about the slow menu and text system?

ChristopherTD
06-29-2004, 09:57 AM
My v500 works very well with my iPaq. GPRS/Bluetooth connectivity works well, the only thing lacking is contact management from the PPC. This doesn't bother me as I don't store lots of numbers on the phone.

The v500 is essentially the same as the v600, it merely lacks a few multi-media features that don't impinge on PPC use.

Previously I had a t68i and for me the v500 is much superior in every area...

maximus
06-29-2004, 11:32 AM
After quite some times playing with both V600 and ipaq 2210, they work flawlessly together :D.

rzanology
06-29-2004, 04:51 PM
Previously I had a t68i and for me the v500 is much superior in every area...

eh maaaan....you're talking about a year and a half between the phones. Ofcourse!!!!! Once again i'm with Kowalski on this one. Could be you got a phone with messed up firmware. Often times people like myself can't wait till these phones are released in the U.S. so i run out and get me the asian version. Be that as it may, some times these phones have little bugs that are still being work out. More often than not, when they arrive to the U.S. all bugs and issues are worked out. Maybe you got one out of the early batch....who knows. But i'll tell ya this....not will be moer solid than a Sony Ericcson phone. And being that they often come with features ahead of their time, they'll hold you off for a year or more. Try that with motorla who always half ass their phones and divide up the features between models.

Janak Parekh
06-29-2004, 05:30 PM
eh maaaan....you're talking about a year and a half between the phones. Ofcourse!!!!! Once again i'm with Kowalski on this one. Could be you got a phone with messed up firmware.
The T610 has had mixed reviews on reception in the US. Since you're in NYC, you've generally got very good reception in the first place... but in more marginal areas, more than a few people have complained about the T610's ability to pull in a 1900MHz signal. In general, the T610 is rated higher than the T68i's reception, but a bit below units like Nokia's 3650.

Anyway, neither you nor Kowalski should draw conclusions on the quality of the T610 based on the Z600. The T610 is a decent phone, but its actually getting a bit old, too. Unfortunately, mobile carriers here are a bit behind the times, so unless you want to go the 3rd-party/unlocked route, that's going to be one of the SE phones end-users encounter.

--janak

rzanology
06-29-2004, 06:58 PM
you're right, BUT!....when i first got my t68i, it was horriable. The thing would reset it self when it felt like it, drop calls, freeze...all sorts of madness. Went to one of those computer shows in jersey and got the firmware upgraded, and never saw another problem. Over are howard forums there's some post about his same issue, most of them suggest firmware updates. And often times the person who had the problem was happy....not all the time...but often.

dutyhero
06-29-2004, 07:02 PM
Check this thread out , i think you would agree that the 2 phones must be very good for Pda - mobile connectivity(V600)

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=29310

Janak Parekh
06-29-2004, 07:45 PM
you're right, BUT!....when i first got my t68i, it was horriable.
I know - I had a R1C ROM on my T68. 8O A ROM update might not hurt, and it may help...all I'm saying is one can't conclude an entire product lineup from one product -- either way.

--janak

Kowalski
06-29-2004, 11:01 PM
The T610 is a decent phone, but its actually getting a bit old, too
come on, t610/630 getting old? in mobile devices market, getting old means new devices hits the shelves to replace the old ones. this will happen when the new k700 hits the shelves. but till that time these devices continue to rock!

rzanology
06-30-2004, 12:39 AM
i think the k700 will end all doubt about sony ericsson's phones!

Kowalski
06-30-2004, 12:13 PM
BTW anyone want some information of this new beast can check out
www.mobile-review.com which has and excellent review on this device

yanathin
06-30-2004, 01:03 PM
I ended up buyong one for myself... so far, everything seems incredible. The camera is amazing for a phone. And although it's much harder to set up to work with my iPAQ, in the end it works like a charm. The transfer actually seems to be faster when I'm using the v600, too. It may just be a coincidence, though. Either that or the boosted signal that the v600 has.

Plus, to answer my earlier question about getting kicked off the internet when making calls... The v600 handles it much better than the T610, although not quite as well as the z600. When I'm connected to the internet and making a call, the GPRS seems to "pause" until I'm off the phone. I don't get kicked off or anything, but I am unable to browse the internet while talking on the phone at the same time. I tried sending an AIM message while I was talking on the phone, and as soon as I hung up it immediately sent.

Hope this helps anybody else that was interested...

mrkablooey
07-01-2004, 11:05 AM
enjoy your phone. mine paired flawlessly but i had to search the net for setup instructions to get online (used howardforums.com) once i got the info in there it worked great! i like the feel of the phone a lot.

maximus
07-02-2004, 01:40 AM
Just to add up a bit, most configurations (GPRS config, WAP config, MMS config, SMS message center, etc.) on my V600 was done automatically over-the-air by the phone itself.

The only thing I have to setup manually is email config.

mrkablooey
07-02-2004, 08:03 PM
Just to add up a bit, most configurations (GPRS config, WAP config, MMS config, SMS message center, etc.) on my V600 was done automatically over-the-air by the phone itself.

I use Cingular. My boss uses T-Mobile and his didn't need any setup in the phone, in fact, the setup info was not there like it was on my Cingular v600.