View Full Version : Adding a second router

merk1821
06-29-2004, 03:57 AM
Hey PPCT gang

I am working on a project where i need to add another Dlink DI-704P router to an existing Dlink router of the same model (different revisions though). The existing Dlink router is hooked into a DSL modem. The three computers that are directly connected to the first Dlink router work great. I then took the last port on the first router and connected to the WAN port of the second router. I then connected the two other computers to the second router. All the indicators on the second router say that everything is working but the two computers connected to the second router. My question is:

What am i doing wrong????

Is it possible to just use the second Dlink router as a switch? How do i do it?

A shiny penny for whoever can help me :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mark

ale2999
06-29-2004, 08:22 AM
I assume that you are saying that the 2 computers connected to the 2nd router dont get connected to the net. I believe that you have to use the uplink ports on the routers. cheers

Steven Cedrone
06-29-2004, 12:23 PM
Instead of using the WAN port on the second router to daisy-chain, try using one of the LAN ports (you may need a crossover cable). Curious, do you see any kind of network activity on the router using the WAN port? Also, why not just go with a switch?

Steve

rudolph
06-29-2004, 02:28 PM
Yea, don't use the WAN port on the second router. As Steve mentioned, just plug it into a the 'regular' port. I use a linksys WRT45G for my "main" wireless router, but I have a SMC Barricade 7004 too. The reason I have two is because my CF Wireless card won't connect to the WRT45G in b/g mode for some reason (if I set it to b only mode, it works). Since I want to keep the linksys in b/g mode (my laptop is g), I just set up the SMC router so my PocketPC can connect to it.
I think you do need a crossover cable to connect the two routers together, but I don't use one (I believe the linksys automatically crosses the cable). Also, if you use DHCP, disable the DHCP server on your second router.

Sven Johannsen
06-29-2004, 02:49 PM
No, use the WAN port on the second router, that is the correct way to run this. Do not use the same network on the second router. If the first is running 192.168.1.x, make the second ones LAN side 192.168.2.x. It is OK to let the second router get it's WAN address via DHCP from the first, but I would recommend setting it statically. Since your first router's base address is 192.168.1.1, then a good WAN address for the second router is 192.168.1.2, the gateway for the second router is 192.168.1.1 and the subnet masks are all 255.255.255.0. The computers connected to the second router can get their info via DHCP...from the second router. They should wind up with 192.168.2.x, gateway 192.168.2.1, SNM 255.255.255.0. The DNS entries in all cases will be the one your ISP gave you. If your first router is getting that DHCP from the network, and your second router is getting it's base address DHCP from the first, this should pass on by itself. If you go static, you will have to get that DNS address from the first network and put it in manually on the second router.