View Full Version : 11,000 XDAs Rolled Out Worldwide From European Kone

Ed Hansberry
06-29-2004, 04:00 AM
<a href="http://www.computerweekly.com/articles/article.asp?liArticleID=131575&liArticleTypeID=1&liCategoryID=1&liChannelID=2&liFlavourID=1&sSearch=&nPage=1">http://www.computerweekly.com/articles/article.asp?liArticleID=131575&liArticleTypeID=1&liCategoryID=1&liChannelID=2&liFlavourID=1&sSearch=&nPage=1</a><br /><br />"Lift and escalator manufacturer Kone is deploying 11,000 Microsoft XDA Pocket PC phones to its field engineers. The move is one of the largest roll-outs of Windows mobile devices in Europe. The initial deployment of Microsoft XDA and XDA II Pocket PC phones will be to 11,000 technicians, with plans to extend the roll-out to the sales force later."<br /><br />Cool. 8) This is where having a device that can be totally wireless and still be able to interact with back office data warehouses really pays off.

surur
06-29-2004, 07:22 AM
This kind of reduces the coolness factor of my XDA 2, now that Lewisham council workers and german lift technicians have the same hardware :worried:

What we dont have to give up to ensure the dominance of the pocketpc ! Anyways, Im sure an Mpx will restore my exclusivity :)

Surur

Prevost
06-29-2004, 08:05 AM
Cool. 8) This is where having a device that can be totally wireless and still be able to interact with back office data warehouses really pays off.
Actually.

I insist that PDAs are working tools first and its value as that increases in environments like construction sites and, I dare to say, while inside an elevator's shaft. Concerning coolness, well, an electronic device I own must appeal to me by itself, and not on its exclusivity. In due time, package's impression to eyes can change, but funcionaly should never do.

ebadger
06-29-2004, 05:32 PM
Now all it needs is a good headset / mic combination and an extensible speech interface system. Then people can query data, get notifications, and update databases without having to look at the device

Jonathon Watkins
06-29-2004, 10:45 PM
I insist that PDAs are working tools first...

Well, perhaps not around here. :wink:

Very cool tech, but Surur, such snobbishness. :wink: :lol:

The more PPCs the merrier! 8)

SpeckledJim
07-01-2004, 12:57 AM
but of course it's a primarily a business tool, if there was no commercial need for these things they would not be mass-manufactured and sold at the prices they are.

you should be grateful to Kone :wink:

Jonathon Watkins
07-07-2004, 01:31 AM
you should be grateful to Kone :wink:

....and of course we are. :)

Welcome SpeckledJim. Can't wait to see your Avatar. :wink: