View Full Version : TECH CAAAAALL!!!

rzanology
06-28-2004, 07:19 PM
Okay people...time to provide the usual 6 month update on your batman utility belts and backpacks.

I've got...

-hp 2215 with 256 sd, 256 cf installed and the hp leather case with an extra 128 sd card and 64 ms duo.

-SE z600 with the SE leather case for the t610

-SE Bluetooth headset HBH-65 and Jabra bt200

-blackberry for work

-dsc-t1 loaded with 128 ms (couldn't find duo :( )

and that's just one me.....
In the back pack there's...

-dell 5100 with gig ram and replaced 60 gig 7200 rpm drive and Bluetooth PCMCIA card

-wacom pad and pen

-wireless mini mouse

-logitec ps2 look alike pc controller

-and 7 in one card reader.

sounds like alot...but im out of my house for at lease 12 hours a day....I'll be damned if I leave anything behind :)

What do you guys have?!?!

milkman dan
06-28-2004, 08:26 PM
thats alot of stuff to carry around all the time! I find it a pain in the ass carrying my PDA, and cell phone :( I wish I was in the states, I would own a thera in a second, but I am stuck with telus, bell, and rogers where I live :( That translates into a $1000 peice of crap PDA phone if you didn't know :(

whydidnt
06-28-2004, 08:48 PM
Not too different from myself - though I usually pocket only:

Sony Clie UX-50 w/ 1 GB MS Pro & Extended Battery
Sony Ericsson Z600

My Case is full:
IPaq 2215 w/ 256MB SD/WiFi CF + 256MB CF
Dell D600 Latitude w/Upgraded 60 GB HD
iRiver 20 GB MP3 Player
Sony DSC-T1 w/256 MB MS Duo
SE HBH-200 Bluetooth Headset (I have the HBH-35 too, but it's collecting dust right now)

When I want to lighten up I replace the Dell w/a Sony SRx-87 Ultra Portable - but it's awfully slow compared to the Dell and doesn't have integrated DVD for movies.

I need to find a PowerSupply solution that I can use for all of these toys though. Carrying all these bricks is breaking my back. 8O

rzanology
06-28-2004, 08:52 PM
NIIIICE!!!! i like that 1 gig ms....those things are hard to find and cost toooo much money. When you get a chance take a trip down to radioshak. They cell a product called "i-GO" Its kinda like a all in one power solution. Its veeeery good. It goes for about $99. Even has the connectors for ipaqs and SE phones. Check it out!

ntractv
06-28-2004, 09:14 PM
My grab bag/belt:

- iPAQ 5555 w/256MB San Disk
- iPAQ Sleeve with 64MB CF Card for backups
- Blackberry (work related e-mails)
- Verizon LG VX6000 Cellphone (personal)
- Verizon StarTac ST7868W Cellphone (work)
- SkyTel Pager (work)
- Targus Stowaway Keyboard
- Nikon CoolPix 8550 Digital Camera (Work)
- Canon 10D Digital Camera w/vertical Battery Grip (holds two batteries for extended shooting time (the new love of my life, other than Anita)
- Canon A2E (35mm) Camera (film version of 10D)
- Tamron 28-200 Lens
- Tamron 17-35 Lens
- Canon 75-300 Lens
(I'm not a professional photographer, serious amateur, but I like to keep my cameras with me, you never know when that perfect shot will come up)
- Sony Digtal Video Camera

And when I know it's going to be a slow day at work I'll throw in my RCA portable DVD player and a few DVD's to watch at lunch. (not all at the same time :D )

Janak Parekh
06-28-2004, 09:15 PM
I wish I was in the states, I would own a thera in a second
Actually, the Thera is an old unit, and it's not worth getting anymore unless you find an amazing deal. There are better CDMA Pocket PC Phones, like the i700.

Anyway, I pocket, on a daily basis:

Samsung i700
iPod

... and that's it for the moment (no belt clips, etc.) Everything else is in my bag:

Portege 3505 Tablet PC (with 1GB of RAM too!), AC adapter
Toshiba e805, plus cables to connect i700 and e805
FM/AM radio, headphones for it and iPod, etc.
iTrip, USB cables, etc. for iPod
Leatherman, screwdriver

I used to carry a lot more odds and ends, but I've managed to lighten myself a bit. :) I do carry quite a bit more when traveling.

--janak

rzanology
06-28-2004, 09:20 PM

:werenotworthy: All hail the all mighty startac. Still one of the sexest devices known to man!

ntractv
06-28-2004, 09:25 PM

:werenotworthy: All hail the all mighty startac. Still one of the sexest devices known to man!

Despite all the bells and whistles on the latest crop of phones on the market, the StarTacs are the true workhorses of all phones. Especially in the dark, dank tunnels of the subway sytem of DC.

dean_shan
06-28-2004, 09:39 PM
On me -
Toshiba E750 with 128MB SD card
LAKS Memory Music Watch 256MB

In the backpack-
Apple PowerBook G4 12"
Various Cables
Various CDs (Utilities and the like)
Logitec Wireless Game Controler
Canon Powershot S200

Janak Parekh
06-28-2004, 09:59 PM
Workhorse, yes, although the CDMA units' antennas (7867W and 7868W, in particular) were notorious for bending/snapping off. As for sexiest, I'd strongly debate you on that one. ;)

--janak

ntractv
06-28-2004, 10:10 PM
Workhorse, yes, although the CDMA units' antennas (7867W and 7868W, in particular) were notorious for bending/snapping off. As for sexiest, I'd strongly debate you on that one. ;)

--janak

Okay, I'll spot you on that one. But, then again, I have only had to have the antenna (tip) replaced once in the three years I've had it. And as you stated, NO, it is not a sexy phone, but, it does do its intended function, make and receive calls. I am not the most savvy tech person, but, I do know that even though I have the Verizon LG VX6000, when I'm sitting in Farragut West in WDC underground calls break up and I'm not heard on the other end other than every other two or three words, but, when I whip out the StarTac, no problems whatsoever (which baffles me since they are both on the Verizon network). Maybe it's just that station.

P.S. For whatever reason even though my calls are sporadic at that particular location, SMS works fine.

mscdex
06-28-2004, 10:23 PM
Here's what I lug around with me....

- iPaq 2215 w/256mb SD, SMC CF wifi card, HP iPaq Micro Keyboard
- 128mb bootable usb wrist watch (usb cable is embedded in the watch band!) which stores a compact bootable version of linux, as well as install files for many useful PC apps

That's it for now, but once in awhile I'll carry around my Digitrex 2.1mp digital camera w/128mb CF card, with mp3 playing capability (I got this one for $50 at officemax) :D

Cybrid
06-28-2004, 10:35 PM
Hmmph! Amateurs.... :mrgreen:

Dell Axim X5
Pocketop keyboard
1 Gig in SD/CF
LG TM520
cable Dell to LG
Wenger tool chest
Victorinox cybertool
Zippo
Mars Data trio
pilot stylus combo
LKL swiss-tech utility-key
Roots Jabra headset
Belkin car charger/ USB sync
8 AAA batteries
Sandisk Wi-Fi combo
GlobalSat GPS
Kingston 56K modem
PCMCIA/CF adapter
USB SD/CF reader

That's just in the pockets!
Bag:

Compaq presario
Arkon PDA mount
System restore disk (presario)
Cable to LG (laptop)
PCMCIA 10/100 card
USB Wi-Fi adapter
*assorted work crap...lot's of it! :cry:

Cybrid
06-28-2004, 10:45 PM
Okay, I'll spot you on that one. But, then again, I have only had to have the antenna (tip) replaced once in the three years I've had it. And as you stated, NO, it is not a sexy phone, but, it does do its intended function, make and receive calls. I am not the most savvy tech person, but, I do know that even though I have the Verizon LG VX6000, when I'm sitting in Farragut West in WDC underground calls break up and I'm not heard on the other end other than every other two or three words, but, when I whip out the StarTac, no problems whatsoever (which baffles me since they are both on the Verizon network). Maybe it's just that station.

P.S. For whatever reason even though my calls are sporadic at that particular location, SMS works fine.
I think 'cause the newer cells don't carry all that great support for the older analog cell networks. The StarTac still does.
SMS takes very little bandwidth as opposed to voice.
If someone can correct any inaccuracies in this please do.

rzanology
06-29-2004, 02:07 AM
hey maaaan....i still have a brand new startac and timeport in the box for show. Hows that for legacy mobile!

Janak Parekh
06-29-2004, 02:28 AM
I think 'cause the newer cells don't carry all that great support for the older analog cell networks. The StarTac still does.
Shouldn't be -- as long as the phone is trimode (800 analog, 800/1900 digital) it should support the older networks just fine, just like older phones.

Some StarTAC users have found it to have the best reception, presumably because of its antenna and radio design. (I say some because others, like my dad, found a noticeable improvement in reception on his Sprint service when he upgraded to a Sanyo phone.)

SMS takes very little bandwidth as opposed to voice.
That, and I believe it'll keep on retrying when it has weak/no signal. :)

--janak

kosmicki
06-29-2004, 02:54 AM
Hmmph! Amateurs.... :mrgreen:

Impressive list!

ignar
06-29-2004, 05:41 AM
* In the pocket.

- Treo 600 with 256MB SD card

* In the backpack

- iPaq 4150 with 256MB SD card
- Tungsten T3 with 128MB SD card
- Thinkoutside wireless IR keyboard
- Panasonic W2b laptop with 512MB CF card
- SE T610
- Siemens S56
- Bluetooth dongle for W2b
- Logitech portable mouse
- LAN cable
- USB hub
- Pentax Optio S digital camera with 128MB SD card
- Sync/Charge cables for 4150, T|T3, and Treo 600

I use a Samsonite backpack, but am looking for a better one. What kind of backpacks/bags do you use?

Myrddin
06-29-2004, 06:54 AM
Well...

On me:

- iPaq 4155 + 128mb SD Card (Stored on beltclip case)
- Nokia 1100 (Simplest, cheapest mobile phone I could find.. I don't need whizzbang features or anything else.) (Stored in back pocket.)
- Creative Nomad MuVo NX 256MB (Stored around my neck on strap with my ID card and swipe card.)
- Generic 4 in 1 Full Size Clicker Pen with a Stylus, Red Pen, Black Pen and Mechanical Pencil
- High-Brightness Mini LED Torch on keyring attached to beltclip.
- Cheapo Sony Earbuds (usually hanging over my shoulders if not in my ears)

In laptop bag:
- Apple iBook G4 12" (800mhz G4, 640MB Ram, DVD/CD-R)
- 2 Spare Standard Batteries for iPaq 4155
- Sync/Charge USB Cable for iPaq
- Belkin Bluetooth USB adapter (for other computers I might encounter - my iBook has BT built in.)
- Power Brick for iPaq with HP adapter
- Palm Tungsten T3 w/ 128MB SD Card
- Palm Portable Keyboard for T3
- Various Text Books and a Large Notepad

maximus
06-29-2004, 11:58 AM
On me, daily :

Axim X5 with 3x512 SD cards and Audiovox GSM/GPRS CF
Minolta Dimage Xi
Motorola V600 (Personal)

In suitcase, daily :

ECS G556e with Dothan 1.8ghz and Radeon Mobility 9700
Spare battery for Axim X5
Koss canal earphone
Motorola T720 (Work)
PCMCIA to CF Converter (when I need GPRS on notebook)
60 GB Fujitsu 2.5" HDD USB 2.0

When travelling :

Minolta dimage F300
Sigma SD9
Spare SD and CF cards
Universal niMH power pack for Sigma SD9 and Dimage F300
Lots of 2100 niMH AA batteries.

At home, no longer used :

Motorola Microtac 90
Motorola Startac X
Motorola V3688
Motorola V808
Motorola V70

:D

Stephen Beesley
06-29-2004, 12:23 PM
Boy do I feel under equiped compared to you lot 8O

Generally, my carry around load is:

In my pocket
- my trusty Jornada 568 with 256meg CF card; and
- an SE T610.

In my equaly trusty Crumpler (http://www.crumpler.com.au) (sorry love it so much I have to give them a plug :D) courier bag:
- Krussell Jornada leather case which I use to carry two spare batteries, my wifi card and a CF Modem Card (just in case!);
- original Stowaway keyboard; and
- a USB power sync cable.

Seems pretty sparse compared to some of the equipment lists posted....

*URL fixed by mod SJC

Steven Cedrone
06-29-2004, 12:44 PM
In my equaly trusty Crumpler (http://www.crumpler.com.au) (sorry love it so much I have to give them a plug :D) courier bag

O.K., that is one interesting web site! :wink:

Steve

whydidnt
06-29-2004, 02:50 PM
* In the pocket.

Wow, I thought I carried a lot of stuff - including the Treo, I count 3 PDA's and 3 phones :mrgreen:

rzanology
06-29-2004, 04:46 PM
* In the pocket.

WAAAAAIT A MINUTE!!!!! why is your ppc in the bag and hyour advanced gameboy in your pocket???....STONE HIIIIIIM!!!!!!! :)

I use a northface bookbag, its divided into 2 and has a hell of alot of pockets. Even a pouch for laptops. Even though its loaded it still manages to look small. Nice lil book bag.

At home, no longer used :

Motorola Microtac 90
Motorola Startac X
Motorola V3688
Motorola V808
Motorola V70

:D

HOOOOLY SH!!! We got a motorola fan boy. I use to be like that untill the v200 came about. After that it was time for me to wave good bye to good old fried moto. Now im a proud SE fanboy. Sony Ericsson got it aaaall on lock.

Pat Logsdon
06-29-2004, 05:30 PM
On my person:

HP 4150 in Vaja Belt Case w/2 256mb SD cards
SE T610
1913 Hampden Pocket Watch

In my bag:

IBM T40 laptop
Folding keyboard
Sony Fontopia canal headphones
Microsoft 32mb USB drive
Victorinox "Campflame" Knife (http://www.boysstuff.co.uk/product.asp?id=10850&cid=)
CF Bluetooth card (for laptop)

rzanology
06-29-2004, 06:25 PM
IBM T40 laptop

oooooooooh.....niiiiice. Theres alot of talk going around about apple power books. But we all know they mean nothing next to thinkpads....especialy the t40!!!!

rugerx
06-29-2004, 06:29 PM
Hope you guys dont get mugged, the thief may be able to retire :wink:

rzanology
06-29-2004, 06:30 PM
Hope you guys dont get mugged, the thief may be able to retire :wink:

if he doesn't get shot first!

Ryan Joseph
06-29-2004, 07:45 PM
I carry around ONE thing: my i-mate.

It's my PPC, phone, camera, email, Internet, games, etc. And with its built in 128MB, I only need a 128 SD card.

I carry it in my pocket 24/7 (well, when I'm awake anyway) and it's protected by an aluminum case.

In fact, I'm posting this from Sea World in Orlando, FL using my i-mate right now.

But the sea lion show is about to start...gotta' go. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

rzanology
06-29-2004, 07:55 PM
Thats what i call "living it up" Kudos to this man and his i-mate!

maximus
06-30-2004, 01:37 AM
I carry around ONE thing: my i-mate.

It's my PPC, phone, camera, email, Internet, games, etc. And with its built in 128MB, I only need a 128 SD card.

Hmm. That was originally my intention too when I received a free XDA II from the company I worked for. I tried to leave everything else behind, and only carrying an XDA II. I only lasted 1 day doing that.

The problem is, it is too mediocre in everything. Sure it can do a lot of things, but it does not excel in any of those. It is not comparable to the Dothan/Radeon 9700 notebook + GPRS + motorola V600 + minolta dimage Xi combination :D

Ryan Joseph
06-30-2004, 03:16 AM
It is not comparable to the Dothan/Radeon 9700 notebook + GPRS + motorola V600 + minolta dimage Xi combination :D

Oh, well sure, but, for starters, my i-mate is much cheaper than your option, I have less to carry around (and less to lose), and I'd like to see you carry all that around Orlando. :mrgreen:

For everyday use, the i-mate is great, but for times like this (vacation), I do carry around additional equipment...DV camera, digital still camera, etc.

maximus
06-30-2004, 04:39 AM
Ha ha. Yeah, I can image the pain of lugging all those in orlando. What is today's temperature in orlando ?

ctmagnus
06-30-2004, 04:43 AM
In my equaly trusty Crumpler (http://www.crumpler.com.au) (sorry love it so much I have to give them a plug :D) courier bag

Steve

Have you seen their not-in-stock logo? :rotfl:

Ryan Joseph
06-30-2004, 04:57 AM
Ha ha. Yeah, I can image the pain of lugging all those in orlando. What is today's temperature in orlando ?

It was around 93 in the sun, but it was cloudy for the second half of the day.

Mobile Forums don't show Location...where are you posting from?

Yeah, lugging stuff can be hard. I have enough trouble hauling my various cameras and assorted accessories around.

I don't know how you all do it? Carrying around what some of you listed would drive me crazy.

:?

ctmagnus
06-30-2004, 05:17 AM
I concur. Having more than one item in a pocket or attached to my belt drives me nuts. And if I wear one of my three scottEvests I'm always wondering what pocket is holding what. Next gear transporter for me: a messenger bag!

maximus
06-30-2004, 07:26 AM
Mobile Forums don't show Location...where are you posting from?

Indonesia.

Yeah, lugging stuff can be hard. I have enough trouble hauling my various cameras and assorted accessories around.

I don't know how you all do it? Carrying around what some of you listed would drive me crazy.

:?

Carefully ? :p

Seriously, it is a part of my job to carry around documents, policies, reports, regulations, etc. with me during office hour. Anyway, all of them are inside a compact suitcase, sometimes I put the axim and the dimage Xi inside the suitcase also, so it is just the suitcase, and motorola v600 :D

Stephen Beesley
06-30-2004, 10:46 AM

Steve

Have you seen their not-in-stock logo? :rotfl:

Nothing like a bit of Aussie humour to brighten up the day...

Eitel
06-30-2004, 03:53 PM
Let's see.

On me I have:

iPAQ 4155 with a 256mb SD card
Sprint SE T608

On my backpack:

Dell Inspiron 8600 - P-M 1.4 Centrino, 512mb, WUXGA screen, DVD burner, integrated BT and WiFi
USB 2.0 2.5" enclosure with a 10GB HDD
USB 2.0 6-1 reader
Fuji FinePix 2800 camera with 128MB SM card
blank DVD's

JakeP
06-30-2004, 08:44 PM
Wrist:
Abacus SPOT watch ( Sweet, simple, and convenient )

Pocket:
Dell Axim X3i
- Rhinoskin case
- 512 mb SD Card

Sony Headphones

Bag:
Docking station
Charging cable
Programming Microsoft Windows CE .NET 3rd Edition

dean_shan
07-01-2004, 04:25 PM
That's just in the pockets!
You must have a heavyduty belt. How else would you keeep your pants up.

maximus
07-02-2004, 01:52 AM
I used to put the axim, v600 and company access card on my belt, until my wife made a joke and mentioned that I look like a christmas tree (with all the stuffs that are hanging on my belt). I looked in the mirror, and agreed with her.

So, axim goes to the front-right pants pocket and the v600 stays on the belt :D