View Full Version : File Explorer Access Limited

Cinemafreak
06-27-2004, 10:42 PM
Ok, I finally fixed my PPC and I can access the internet and my laptop via wireless connection. However, I can only access certain directories from my PPC to my laptop, they are Printer Printer2 and SharedDocs.

How can I change my settings to allow me full access to my laptop?

The errors I get are "The Network Name cannot be found" and "Network resource cannot be found or you do not have permission to access the network"

When I first tried to access folders it asked for name and password and domain. I fell I entered them correctly, if not how do I access those settings if they are wrong?

When I try to access the folders a second time it gives the errors and will not prompt for user name, password and domain.

Thanks!

Steven Cedrone
06-27-2004, 11:08 PM
Try to share out a folder on the PC and see if you can access it. (Be careful though, are you behind a firewall?) You may want to post a little more about your setup...

Steve

OSUKid7
06-28-2004, 12:28 AM
Also, if you have Windows 2000 or XP, browse to \\<Computer>\\C$, where C is your primary drive. That's an admin share, and if you're authenticated, it will let you in.

Cinemafreak
06-28-2004, 04:46 PM
On the FireWall. No, I am not behind a firewall. I had to disable it to get my PPC to access the Laptop. Is there a way to keep the firewall up, yet still get the PPC to access the Laptop?

I will try the \\<Computer>\\C$ tonight to see if that works. You mention Authenticated, when I first tried to access my primary drive it prompted me for user id, password and domain. I entered my stuff and it still did not allow access. Is this what you mean by authenticate? If so, it no longer prompts me, but still does not give access. And I do not know how to access the log on settings. Any ideas?

OSUKid7
06-28-2004, 05:16 PM
I will try the \\<Computer>\\C$ tonight to see if that works. You mention Authenticated, when I first tried to access my primary drive it prompted me for user id, password and domain. I entered my stuff and it still did not allow access. Is this what you mean by authenticate? If so, it no longer prompts me, but still does not give access. And I do not know how to access the log on settings. Any ideas?
Yes, that's what I meant by authentication. I haven't seen that screen in months. I'd also like to know if there's a way to manually recall that screen to use a differen UN/PW and domain.

Vidge
07-01-2004, 01:40 AM
Real PPC newbie here. I have Resco Explorer on my 4155 and it shows My Network as one of the folders but I can't get to anything. I tap on it and get nothing. I can access the internet (have a Netgear wireless router and several computers on the network) but that's it. Any pointers would be appreciated.

cdcooker
07-08-2004, 10:40 PM
Real PPC newbie here. I have Resco Explorer on my 4155 and it shows My Network as one of the folders but I can't get to anything. I tap on it and get nothing. I can access the internet (have a Netgear wireless router and several computers on the network) but that's it. Any pointers would be appreciated.

Same problem here. I got the 30 days trial of the Resco on my new X30. I tried the Netuse also, same thing.

Vidge
07-11-2004, 03:24 AM

Same problem here. I got the 30 days trial of the Resco on my new X30. I tried the Netuse also, same thing.

I figured this out. Tap and hold on the "My Network" and a menu comes up. Select Map Drive. The next screen will find all of the computers on your network which are currently turned on (Computers Near Me). Select the computer name, tap on the + sign and select the drive. Note that the drive or folder you are attempting to map must have previously been shared on your computer.

That's it!

cdcooker
07-12-2004, 04:27 PM
I finally can map to my local desktop shared folder from my X30. I use the free app Netuse and the built-in File Explorer of PPC. I can only accomplish this by change the Wifi setting of the current connection from "The Internet" to "Work". So basically, I cannot browse the web if I am mapping to the local folders.

One more question, even I can map a shared folder as a drive with netuse and file explorer, I still cannot create playlist with those network mp3 files in Pocket Windows Media Player. The add button is gray out. In File Explorer, even I multiple select a bunch of mp3 files, only one mp3 files will be played. Is there anyway to simply use Netuse + File Explorer and still be able to create a playlist of network mp3 files in PWMP?

Thanks