View Full Version : Pocket PC Phones...

yanathin
06-27-2004, 08:10 PM
I've never ventured into the PPC Phone world, but I have a feeling it would be best for me if I didn't have to carry around two devices all the time. I'm going to list some specs, and if anybody can match up a PPC Phone that comes close to the specs, I would REALLY appreciate it. Here we go:

NOT large at all
Screen size doesn't matter (would be nice if it was a small square screen)
Same CPU as 1940 (nothing slower)
Bluetooth and WiFi built-in
Built in GOOD camera (1.3 mp would be nice)
Battery life doesn't die after four hours of standby...

I know those specs are pretty vague, but I'm not looking for something exact. I would just like the features of my T610 and 4150 built into one, compact size (although I'm not sure if they have even made that...) Thanks for any help in advance!

edit: That ASUS P505 looks exactly like what I want... but is anything out like that right now, and maybe not with such a blazing fast processor? I don't game THAT much to have to spend extra money on some super-CPU.

Janak Parekh
06-27-2004, 10:26 PM
I've never ventured into the PPC Phone world, but I have a feeling it would be best for me if I didn't have to carry around two devices all the time. I'm going to list some specs, and if anybody can match up a PPC Phone that comes close to the specs, I would REALLY appreciate it. Here we go:
Before we go any further, which mobile provider do you want it with?

NOT large at all
What do you define as large?

Screen size doesn't matter (would be nice if it was a small square screen)
As of this moment, no Pocket PC or Pocket PC phone has a square screen. Most phones have a 3.5" screen; several new ones will have 2.8".

Bluetooth and WiFi built-in
No Pocket PC phone currently on the market has this. A few are on their way, like the MPx and the iPAQ 63xx.

Built in GOOD camera (1.3 mp would be nice)
I don't think any phone on the market has a 1.3mp yet, although a few may be coming.

Battery life doesn't die after four hours of standby...
No phone running the Pocket PC Phone Edition has that little standby. It's more on the order of days.

--janak

yanathin
06-27-2004, 10:48 PM
Right now I have T-Mobile, and I would like to keep it that way because of their awesome internet service... My contract ends in a months, but I'll still probably keep 'em.

Not large as in about the same size as my 4150 (thickness doesn't count). I can't really imagine holding up something larger to my ear...

A 2.8" screen would probably be better, seeing how it makes the PPC Phone smaller.

To tell you the truth, I don't really use WiFi that much at all. As long as bluetooth is on it, though....

I define a "good" camera as something better than the one in the T610... MAN that one's bad.

As for batter life, I didn't know how long they lasted. I just figured it would be the same battery life as my 4150, staying on constantly.

Hmmm.... after going over everything I just said, I thought of a phone/PDA that isn't really a Pocket PC at all... the P900. It's everything I want, and it's smaller than the Nokia 3650. My only gripes are the non-Windows Mobile OS and the ridiculous price...