View Full Version : How do I crack a router's login?

bjornkeizers
06-27-2004, 01:33 PM
Hello all,

I want to tinker with my neighbour's router. Unortunately, he lost his username and password. I tried several likely combinations, but not much luck.

Does anyone know how I can retrieve the password? I don't want to reset it unless absolutely necessary. The router is an Etech WLRT03.

Steven Cedrone
06-27-2004, 02:37 PM
Did you try just "Admin" and no password? I just downloaded the manual (which I can't read :wink: ) but it looks like the default user name may not have a password???

From the manual:

3.De router vraagt nu om een gebruikersnaam en wachtwoord: Bij gebruikersnaam dient u niets in te vullen, bij wachtwoord “admin”

Als u deze pagina niet ziet, en er verschijnt een venster met inbelgegevens, dient u de inbelaccount uit te schakelen. U kiest hiervoor in Explorer de optie ‘Extra -> Internet-Opties’ en dan het tabblad ‘verbindingen’:

De verbinding met internet hoeft niet te worden opgebouwd, maar loopt via de router. U kiest in dit scherm dus voor de optie “Nooit een verbinding kiezen”. Klik daarna op LAN-instellingen, en zorg dat de proxyserver uitstaat evenals het automatisch configuratiescript. Klik nu 2x op OK om het venster te sluiten. Herhaal nu stap 2. Komt u niet in het router-scherm, herstart dan de pc om de internet-instellingen op te slaan.

4.U ziet nu de webpagina waarmee u de router kunt configureren. U hoeft de router maar eenmalig te configureren en u kunt de configuratie uitvoeren op een willekeurige computer. Om de router te configureren gaat u verder met stap 4.

Link to manual: http://www.e-tech.nu/Product_Detail/1118/E (under "support files")

Steve

bjornkeizers
06-27-2004, 02:48 PM
First thing I tried, no luck. Apparently, his brother changed the password when he installed the thing & set the encryption. He wrote it down - which my neighbour lost.

Yeah, my neighbour isn't the sharpest tool in the shed so to speak :-) When I crack it, I'm going to print it in large, friendly letters, put it in a binder and stick it in my own safe :D

Steven Cedrone
06-27-2004, 02:53 PM
It looks like a reset may be your only option. Is his setup very complicated? If not, you can probably have him up and running in a few minutes after the reset. (I know you don't want to do that, but it looks like you are running out of options)

Steve

bjornkeizers
06-27-2004, 03:07 PM
I'm seriously considering resetting it, yes. The router is quite new, so it's got some reasonably good security. I didn't have much luck with packet sniffing. I can see and talk to the thing, but it doesn't feel like giving up the magic word.

Pony99CA
06-27-2004, 06:18 PM
I'm seriously considering resetting it, yes. The router is quite new, so it's got some reasonably good security. I didn't have much luck with packet sniffing. I can see and talk to the thing, but it doesn't feel like giving up the magic word.
Have you tried something like Brutus (http://www.hoobie.net/brutus/index.html)?

Steve

JvanEkris
06-27-2004, 10:18 PM
Perhaps it sounds silly at this point in time, but did you try to call his brother????

Jaap

Steven Cedrone
06-27-2004, 10:59 PM
Perhaps it sounds silly at this point in time, but did you try to call his brother????

Oh sure, the voice of reason! :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:

*Slaps head* Umm, I guess that should have been my first suggestion... :oops:

Steve

tanalasta
06-28-2004, 06:34 AM
Unfortunately, there is no way to "hack" the router easily. You've already tried the usual combinations.

If he doesn't have any fancy firewall services etc etc... it should take less than 5 minutes to reset the router, settings and have the whole thing running again. I'm not sure why you seem hesitant about doing this - it's really no big deal :P

Mitch D
06-28-2004, 07:02 AM
Most consumer grade routers that I have come across have a reset pin located on the body somewhere (Linksys is on the front, D-Link on the back and I believe SMC might not have a reset pin), holding that pn in for 10 secs or so usually causes the router to reset and return to defualt settings.

JvanEkris
06-28-2004, 08:29 AM

Oh sure, the voice of reason! :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:

*Slaps head* Umm, I guess that should have been my first suggestion... :oops:

SteveWell,

I remeber an incident at work, where 5 engineers took a xerox machine apart (costing a repairmen 2 days to reassemble it!) only to find out it had run out of toner. Nobody ever thougth of the obvious reason why it did not print as good as it did:(

Although it is of cours much nicer to find out on your own way what password the router has:D

Jaap