View Full Version : Pocket Gaming Devices

IceCaveman
06-27-2004, 04:44 AM
I use my PDA to keep track of my life and I can't be without the PIM functions of it, however I also use it for entertainment and can't be without it. I want it to totally replace my gameboy. all emulation software for it is horrible, does not take advantage of landscape view and all the devices I have seen have the buttons only on one side and horrible for use with games. I have iPAQ 2210 and I'm gonna buy a new one that's more suitable for games, however my 2210 is not powerful enough to play super nintendo games and I want to know if there exists such a PDA capable of playing them at acceptable framerate. I doubt there exists such a device today but I would like to know IF it does or WHEN it will be. Sure I can play LucasArts games on it but then I must throw everything off my storage card.

Kowalski
06-27-2004, 11:14 AM
the new axim x30 seem the right choice for you, especially if you have limited budget. it has the fastest cpu in the market today.

IceCaveman
06-27-2004, 10:46 PM
Thanks but it does not have enough RAM and it does not have enough buttons... I have 64MB of RAM and it's not enough for games like dilbert goodmate

Fishie
06-27-2004, 10:54 PM
Thanks but it does not have enough RAM and it does not have enough buttons... I have 64MB of RAM and it's not enough for games like dilbert goodmate

Thats Gilber Goodmate and there isnt a PDA in existence that can store the full Gilbert Goodmate in Ram.

The game is over 200MB, thats what you have memory cards for you know.

IceCaveman
06-27-2004, 11:06 PM
Fishie I have a 64MB device, I'm not trying to install Gilbert to RAM!!! If you install all the content it takes up more RAM when you play it, then 64MB is not enough as there are many programs thar require to install to RAM so they waste my RAM

Derek
06-27-2004, 11:28 PM
I think that the Toshiba e800 is what you want, though it is rather expensive. It has a great screen, and you can tweak it upto 572mhz.

The second option is to wait for the new line of HP iPAQ's, or the Asus MyPal 730 which as a VGA-screen also.

milkman dan
06-27-2004, 11:54 PM
however my 2210 is not powerful enough to play super nintendo games

I use my 2215 to play snes roms all the time, it works great! you just have to tweak it to run properly. I mainly play FF3, super metriod and super mario, and they run perfect

IceCaveman
06-28-2004, 12:04 AM
it "plays" them but at horrible frame rate, I only got decent frame rate with lagging sound on Donkey Kong Country 3, also the directional pad on 2210 sucks.

milkman dan
06-28-2004, 08:29 PM
!?!? disable sound, SNES roms play like crap on any device if sound is enabled! Some games play alright with sound mind you, like smario. I happen to love the Dpad myself, I hear that it becomes less accurate over time, but sofar I haven't had any issues with it :/ What are you using for an SNES emu?

rzanology
06-28-2004, 09:04 PM
Sounds like you'll be in line for that new psp. ya think one of these ppc companys would get off their ass and call up ati or nvidia and ask them to make a damn mobile solution. We're already spending upwards of $400+ on these things....but noooo...we get solatair. way to go hp!

Fishie
06-28-2004, 10:53 PM
Sounds like you'll be in line for that new psp. ya think one of these ppc companys would get off their ass and call up ati or nvidia and ask them to make a damn mobile solution. We're already spending upwards of $400+ on these things....but noooo...we get solatair. way to go hp!

What in the wide wide world of sports does HP have to do with a game that MICROSOFT bundles with the OS?

IceCaveman
06-28-2004, 10:58 PM
The PSP will not function as a PIM... it's entertainment device only with poor battery life. Some should make a device like the Zodiac but with WinCE not Palm.

Fishie
06-28-2004, 11:04 PM
The PSP will not function as a PIM... it's entertainment device only with poor battery life. Some should make a device like the Zodiac but with WinCE not Palm.

That would be the Gizmondo which I might add looked like crap at E3.

IceCaveman
06-29-2004, 12:40 AM
Does it have full WinCE functionality 'cause it seems like it's rather limited device to entertainment, also it does not have such good specs so I doubt it would emulate SNES gtames good

rzanology
06-29-2004, 01:58 AM
What in the wide wide world of sports does HP have to do with a game that MICROSOFT bundles with the OS?

as the share holder of 98% of the market....im pretty sure if they open their mouth people will listen.

Fishie
06-29-2004, 02:09 AM

As the share holder of 98% of the market....im pretty sure if they open their mouth people will listen.

Oh so Toshiba, Samsung, Asus, Dell, Eten, Audiovox, Siemens, NTT, Casio, Symbol etcetera etcetera all combined have only 2% of the market?

Thats intresting to know.

Its not that I dont believe you or annything(I wouldnt dare doubt you) but could you perhaps substantiate your post with a link to some sales figures that underscore your brilliant argumentation?

Fishie
06-29-2004, 02:10 AM
Does it have full WinCE functionality 'cause it seems like it's rather limited device to entertainment, also it does not have such good specs so I doubt it would emulate SNES gtames good

Yah and GPRS and urm it does have a graphics accelerator and a 400MHz procesor.

rzanology
06-29-2004, 04:54 PM

As the share holder of 98% of the market....im pretty sure if they open their mouth people will listen.

Oh so Toshiba, Samsung, Asus, Dell, Eten, Audiovox, Siemens, NTT, Casio, Symbol etcetera etcetera all combined have only 2% of the market?

Thats intresting to know.

Its not that I dont believe you or annything(I wouldnt dare doubt you) but could you perhaps substantiate your post with a link to some sales figures that underscore your brilliant argumentation?

can't find it right now. But i remember a while back there was a pie chart on the main page about it. Such "brilliance" that if you hold a poll, im pretty sure well over 90% of the people on this site alone own some kind of hp/compaq ppc. including yourself?....coooome on...you can tell uuuus.