View Full Version : Need Help Accessing WiFi Networks With My iPAQ 2215

jcmoffitt
06-27-2004, 02:15 AM
I am relatively new to the wireless networking using my Pocket PC (HP 2215). I have a Wireless CF Card which works fine and I downloaded WifiFofum application that was able to pick up about 30 networks between me and a friends house. However, I am lost as a goose in a snow storm on HOW to actually get an IP address off one of these signals and be able to surf the web or check my e-mail.

I am new to the wireless arena but I have 15 years of Networking experience so I understand all about protocols , routers, switches, etc etc. It seems as if I have had much better luck with my XP Pro laptop and my wireless card in a coffee shop providing wireless Internet but I have not tried it out in the wild yet.

Is there a resource on the Net that will help me understand HOW to make a connection with my Ipaq? What about users groups in the Charleston SC area? I am open to suggestions.

Thanks

Pony99CA
06-27-2004, 03:11 AM
I am relatively new to the wireless networking using my Pocket PC (HP 2215). I have a Wireless CF Card which works fine and I downloaded WifiFofum application that was able to pick up about 30 networks between me and a friends house. However, I am lost as a goose in a snow storm on HOW to actually get an IP address off one of these signals and be able to surf the web or check my e-mail.
First, you realize that accessing a wireless network without permission may be illegal, right?

Second, is your iPAQ set up to use DHCP (server-assigned IP address)? If not, try using that. Of course, if the router you're trying to connect to has DHCP off, it won't matter.

Third, does WiFiFoFum show if the network is encrypted or not? If it is encrypted, you'll need the key to access the network.

Steve

P.S. Please try to avoid content-free subjects like "Help me please". At best, they aren't helpful; at worst, they get people to ignore your post. A subject like "Need Help Accessing WiFi Networks With My iPAQ 2215" would have been much better.

Janak Parekh
06-27-2004, 03:16 AM
Assuming one or more of the access points you find are designed for public access (and you can usually tell by the name), simply enter the associated network name/SSID into the list of wireless networks. Depending on the card, this can be done in Control Panel => Connections tab => Connections => Advanced => Network Card (a Wireless tab may appear there).

Alternatively, WM2003 may automatically "pick up" on a network and let you know about it, in which case associating with it should be a matter of a few taps.

Now, some of these networks may not be public access; in fact, some of them may be protected with WEP keys to prevent random people from using those resources. There are ways to utilize non-public access points, but this is a legal grey-to-red area that you probably want to avoid. If you can't find a public network, consider buying a wireless router and setting up a network of your own; they're cheap and useful if you have a broadband connection at home.

Last, I suggest you download vxUtil and vxIPConfig from www.cam.com - these tools give you IP debugging information that you may find useful.

--janak

Brad Adrian
06-27-2004, 03:22 AM
For finding and connecting to WLANs, I actually like the freebie sniffer from Boingo. You don't have to be using one of their services for it to work wonderfully.

http://www.boingo.com/download.html

jcmoffitt
06-27-2004, 03:27 AM
First, you realize that accessing a wireless network without permission may be illegal, right?

Yes, I realize that connecting to a private network and accessing data that is none of my business is illegal. I think that there have been quite a few heated discussions as of late as to what constitutes legal and illegal with regards to WiFi. Nonetheless, it has been fun war driving and learning how to "see" wireless networks popping up all over the place. My desire is not to HACK someone's private LAN but rather to learn how to use my Ipaq to surf the web. I am almost certain no one here has ever made the mistake of connecting to a stray WiFi network. LOL... Eh hemmm...

Second, is your iPAQ set up to use DHCP (server-assigned IP address)? If not, try using that. Of course, if the router you're trying to connect to has DHCP off, it won't matter.

Very good point indeed. It appears from what I can tell from WiFiFofum that my Ipaq did receive an IP address of 192.168.1.* when I was out the other day playing with the wireless card in my Ipaq. I did not see HOW to release or renew that address and I was unable to do anything with it.

Third, does WiFiFoFum show if the network is encrypted or not? If it is encrypted, you'll need the key to access the network.

Yes, the WEP network access points have a lock on them. The ones that do not have WEP enabled do not.

Steve

P.S. Please try to avoid content-free subjects like "Help me please". At best, they aren't helpful; at worst, they get people to ignore your post. A subject like "Need Help Accessing WiFi Networks With My iPAQ 2215" would have been much better.[/quote]

Sorry about being brain dead, I took your subtle hint and changed the subject per your request. Thanks

Janak Parekh
06-27-2004, 03:29 AM
Very good point indeed. It appears from what I can tell from WiFiFofum that my Ipaq did receive an IP address of 192.168.1.* when I was out the other day playing with the wireless card in my Ipaq. I did not see HOW to release or renew that address and I was unable to do anything with it.
vxIPConfig gives you release/renewal features, although 192.168.1.* suggests you've connected to the network offered by a wireless router, and in that case you may already have an Internet connection...

--janak

jcmoffitt
06-27-2004, 03:31 AM
Assuming one or more of the access points you find are designed for public access (and you can usually tell by the name), simply enter the associated network name/SSID into the list of wireless networks. Depending on the card, this can be done in Control Panel => Connections tab => Connections => Advanced => Network Card (a Wireless tab may appear there).

Alternatively, WM2003 may automatically "pick up" on a network and let you know about it, in which case associating with it should be a matter of a few taps.

Now, some of these networks may not be public access; in fact, some of them may be protected with WEP keys to prevent random people from using those resources. There are ways to utilize non-public access points, but this is a legal grey-to-red area that you probably want to avoid. If you can't find a public network, consider buying a wireless router and setting up a network of your own; they're cheap and useful if you have a broadband connection at home.

Last, I suggest you download vxUtil and vxIPConfig from www.cam.com - these tools give you IP debugging information that you may find useful.

--janak

Thanks for the very useful information and comments. I do have DSL at home and have several XP Pro clients set up in a workgroup attached to a Linksys Firewall/swith/router. I have plans to replace the existing device with one that supports 802.11b in the very near future. I will probably have better luck with trying to connect to my own network not to mention the time to play with it when I am here at home vs trying to find the time to drive around looking for stray signals.

jcmoffitt
06-27-2004, 03:34 AM
For finding and connecting to WLANs, I actually like the freebie sniffer from Boingo. You don't have to be using one of their services for it to work wonderfully.

http://www.boingo.com/download.html

Many thanks, I will download that now and fire it up and play with it...

:)

jcmoffitt
06-27-2004, 03:36 AM
vxIPConfig gives you release/renewal features, although 192.168.1.* suggests you've connected to the network offered by a wireless router, and in that case you may already have an Internet connection...

--janak

I thought the very same thing except that I could not use MSN Messenger nor could I surf the web with the IE that is built in. I did notice that my signal strength was very low so maybe that had something to do with it....
No idea...

Sven Johannsen
06-27-2004, 05:20 AM
Two additions, I didn't see it but vxipconfig can be found at www.cam.com. They have another free utility vxUtil that is also extremely helpful in troubleshooting network issues.

Second, if you already have a router/switch/kitchen sink. Consider just getting an Access Point. You will find that the router/switch/AP/kitchen sink is about the same price as the plain AP, but the AP has a few more configuration options than the combined device. I think the AP has better power out too, but that is just an imperical observation.