View Full Version : Mobile Favorites

schamberlin
06-27-2004, 12:40 AM
How do I use the Mobile Favorites feature to download web pages to my Pocket PC for offline viewing? I've added a bunch of pages to my mobile favorites in the desktop version of Internet Explorer, and then synchronized my Pocket PC. But all I ended up with on the Pocket PC were links to the pages, not the pages themselves. If I click on the links when my PPC is out of the cradle, it tries to fire up an internet connection, and fails.

Is there some way to download the actual web pages, so I can view them later when I'm offline?

schamberlin
06-27-2004, 03:07 AM
Can anybody point me in the right direction? Everything I've read says that synchronizing mobile favorites should make the web page available for offline viewing. I must be missing something obvious...

Pony99CA
06-27-2004, 03:18 AM
Can anybody point me in the right direction? Everything I've read says that synchronizing mobile favorites should make the web page available for offline viewing. I must be missing something obvious...
I don't use Mobile Favorites, but have you gone into Organize Favorites, right clicked the page you want and selected Make available offline?

I don't know if that will cause the pages to synchronize to the Pocket PC or not, but I assume it's a first step.

Steve

P.S. Please give people at least a day to respond before asking a question again. You didn't even wait three hours.

Sven Johannsen
06-27-2004, 05:25 AM
Pony99ca got it. On the desktop, in the mobile favorites folder, right click the page and set it up for offline viewing. Do look at the configuration, off site links, number of levels etc, because the space you have on the PPC is probably more limited than that on the PC. Don't over do it. You may still have to click through some attempts to connect on the PPC if there are graphics that are not downloaded due to the way your parameters are set up. Just hit cancel when that dialog pops up and the page will continue loading sans the picture.

schamberlin
06-27-2004, 05:48 AM
Hmm, this may actually be a problem with my desktop PC's Internet Explorer, rather than the Pocket PC. When I add a new favorite and check "make available offline", then switch to "work offline" mode and try to view the page, I get an error saying it's not available. Further fishiness: In Organize Favorites it says "times visited: 0", and the favorite -> Properties says the the download size is 0.

I tested another PC, and adding favorites with "make available offline" worked as expected. On my PC I was also able to get it to work using a few pre-existing favorites that showed a non-zero visit count, but for some odd reason most of my favorites show "times visited: 0", and don't work when I try to make them available offline.