View Full Version : Wireless Active Sync

jalm1
06-26-2004, 11:35 PM
I am wondering if anyone out there knows, if you set up a WM2003 device to sync in the wireless always-up-to-date mode (using the special SMS message triggers) will the SMS trigger messages count toward your SMS limits on your plan (or be charged at your plan rate)? (i am using T-Mobile USA)

And what happens when you set are say out of network for a wile and come back in, and have like 30 messages waiting, would exchange have sent you 30 SMS's that count toward your plan?

I am looking at setting this up, as i currently have the device set to sync every 5 min so i can get my mail rather quickly. However, my mail tends to come in waves throughout the day so often these 5min sync's are just burring up battery and leaving the device dead after 4-5 hours. It would be great to only sync when the device needs updating but not if its going to cost me 5 cents a message considering i receives 200+ emails a day on top of all the calendar and contact updates.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Janak Parekh
06-27-2004, 02:56 AM
I do not have this set up, but I think I overheard in another discussion that every SMS does count against your plan.

If you go out of range, and come back, I'd assume that the SMSes would be delivered in a batch; most wireless providers deliver SMSes and other notifications within a 72-hour-to-1-week window. I'm assuming the PDA software would be smart enough not to initiate separate data connections for each SMS...

What service are you thinking of? If it's Exchange 2003, you might want to go look at the server's documentation, as it may discuss this.

--janak

jalm1
06-27-2004, 03:05 AM
thanks. i havent been able to get it to work. it is ex2003. i will contact our admin and t-mobile.