View Full Version : BT naming issues

ctmagnus
06-25-2004, 11:23 PM
Continued from this thread (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=257893#257893):

Re: Bluetooth ID

I'm running ROM 1.10 on an iPaq 5550, bt version 1.4.1.60. I just gave my device a unique name (BT icon in system tray, Accesibility tab) and soft-reset. I go back to that tab and the device identification is back at POCKET_PC again! :frusty:
I'm running ROM 1.10.10 on my 5550, Bluetooth Firmware 1.7.0-1.8.0 (they don't know?), Software Version 1.4.1.60, Module Release Date 04.15.2003, and it still shows the ID I set (which happens to be the same as my Device ID in the About settings applet).

I just tried changing it to xyz, doing a soft reset, and going back to Bluetooth Settings and it showed xyz. I changed it back to my Device ID, did another soft reset, went back to Bluetooth Settings and it showed my Device ID.

Steve

After a soft-reset, the device ID always reverts to POCKET_PC. And when I change it to Yoda (same as my device ID (after Dilbert's garbage man ;) )) and connect to another device, the other device doesn't reflect the change either.

Care to post your exacts steps to get your Pocket PC (preferably other devices as well) to recognize that the Device ID listed in Bluetooth settings has changed, and keep the ID?

Pony99CA
06-26-2004, 01:11 AM
Care to post your exacts steps to get your Pocket PC (preferably other devices as well) to recognize that the Device ID listed in Bluetooth settings has changed, and keep the ID?
Sure, but maybe you need the 1.10.10 ROM?

All I did was the following:

Tap the Bluetooth tray icon.
Tap the Bluetooth Settings action.
Tap the Accessibility tab.
Enter your Bluetooth name in the Name entry field.
Tap the ok button.

That's it.

My complaint is the splitting of Bluetooth Settings from the Bluetooth Manager. That seems like a stupid distinction. There should only be the Bluetooth Manager, which has a Settings action to choose. Having a separate control panel item that goes directly to the settings is OK, too.

Steve

ctmagnus
06-26-2004, 06:18 AM

I've running it.

All I did was the following:

Tap the Bluetooth tray icon.
Tap the Bluetooth Settings action.
Tap the Accessibility tab.
Enter your Bluetooth name in the Name entry field.
Tap the ok button.

That's it.

Hmm... That's exactly what I've been doing every time. It still goes back to POCKET_PC after a soft-reset, though. Looks like I'll have to change it when/if I go anyplace there're likely to be a bunch of BT devices. Thankfully this is North America; they're not that prevalent here yet. ;)

My complaint is the splitting of Bluetooth Settings from the Bluetooth Manager. That seems like a stupid distinction. There should only be the Bluetooth Manager, which has a Settings action to choose. Having a separate control panel item that goes directly to the settings is OK, too.

I concur.

Pony99CA
06-26-2004, 05:36 PM
I've running it.
OK, but your original post said you had 1.10, not 1.10.10. I'm not sure if there's a real difference, but it was something I noticed.

Steve

Dave Beauvais
06-27-2004, 12:23 AM
I've got an h5455 w/WM2003 and the only way I've ever been able to get it to keep my input is to press "enter" on the on-screen input panel immediately after typing/writing the name. This closes the settings dialog, but also manages to save the setting. Tapping OK has never worked for me.

ctmagnus
06-27-2004, 12:27 AM
Well I'll be... The change survived through a soft-reset that time. 8)

that_kid
06-27-2004, 12:27 AM
This was a bug in the prior rom release. The latest rom fixed this issue as I'm able to set the bluetooth name of my 5555.

ctmagnus
06-27-2004, 12:30 AM
Except that I'm running the latest version on my 5550 as well and I still couldn't get it to stick until I tried Dave Beauvais' method.