View Full Version : Travelling with a ipaq 4155 for 10 days with no syncing. Realistic or not?

terryrocks
06-25-2004, 06:04 PM
Hi,
I'm going to be travelling abroad for 10 days and I really don't want to have to take along my laptop if i can justtake my ipaq. Is this realistic? I'll be bale to charge it every night but i'm worried about all the software dissappearring when it goes dead and having no way to reinstall everything.
I'd appreciate any advice,
thanks and have a good weekend

Steven Cedrone
06-25-2004, 06:15 PM
Hi,
I'm going to be travelling abroad for 10 days and I really don't want to have to take along my laptop if i can justtake my ipaq. Is this realistic? I'll be bale to charge it every night but i'm worried about all the software dissappearring when it goes dead and having no way to reinstall everything.
I'd appreciate any advice,
thanks and have a good weekend

Take an extra card and do a complete backup to it (this way if you should have a problem, you can get up and running again in no time)!

Steve

terryrocks
06-25-2004, 06:38 PM
thanks for the quick responce!

how do i do a complete backup :)

Steven Cedrone
06-25-2004, 06:45 PM
On your Pocket PC, look in "Start, Programs" for a program called "Ipaq Backup". That application is a "lite" version of Sprite Backup. It will allow you to do a full back up of the Ipaq to a storage card.

Steve

buckyg
06-25-2004, 06:57 PM
Steve's right, making (and keeping) a current backup will save you a lot of time. It's sure helped me several times when traveling, even when my laptop was right there handy.

Sven Johannsen
06-25-2004, 07:03 PM
You may not even need the extra memory card. A complete backup of my 4155, including the 64M Time2Tech extra RAM is only 16M. If you have a decent sized SD card, and don't have every bit of usable space jammed with MP3s and video clips, you could back up to your usual card. It, of course, doesn't lose data when you lose power.

I've lived without syncing for two weeks at a stretch. Just watch the charge and you shouldn't have a problem. Get yourself some power options. AC Charger, USB charger, Car charger, maybe an extra battery. The kits that have a USB cord and an AC wall wart and car adapter are pretty convenient.

Steven Cedrone
06-25-2004, 07:23 PM
You may not even need the extra memory card. A complete backup of my 4155, including the 64M Time2Tech extra RAM is only 16M. If you have a decent sized SD card, and don't have every bit of usable space jammed with MP3s and video clips, you could back up to your usual card. It, of course, doesn't lose data when you lose power.

I know when I travel, I jam my card full! But yes, if he has the room he could just back it up to his current card. :wink: I'll let you in on a little secret, I'm paranoid: when I travel I usually have more than 1 current backup with me... 8O

Steve

milkman dan
06-26-2004, 01:05 PM
I never actually sync my PPC with my computer, I jus tcradle it up to add/remove things. Mind you I keep all my addresses in my cell phone, so I am not realy at risk of loosing anything I couldn't easily replace if it died

disconnected
06-26-2004, 04:00 PM
Aside from a backup, the thing that gives me the greatest comfort level is my Slim iPowerPak from www.data-nation.com

You can use rechargeable or alkaline AA batteries, so it's limitless power anywhere.

Sven Johannsen
06-26-2004, 06:57 PM
I know when I travel, I jam my card full! But yes, if he has the room he could just back it up to his current card. :wink: I'll let you in on a little secret, I'm paranoid: when I travel I usually have more than 1 current backup with me... 8O

Steve

I may not be as paranoid, but I like the auto backup feature where it just does a backup by itself at an interval I set. Mine does that at 4AM everyday, and saves two. I'd have to be swapping cards each evening and morning to make that work if it wasn't on my regular card. My process, not right for everyone.