View Full Version : Handango Announces "Best in Mobile Software" at Partner Summit

Jason Dunn
06-25-2004, 06:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.handango.com/Awards/ChampionAwards.jsp' target='_blank'>http://www.handango.com/Awards/ChampionAwards.jsp</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Last night, Handango, the leading provider of mobile downloads, announced the winners of the Handango Champion Awards at the Handango Partner Summit. Judged by members of the media and other industry experts, the Handango Champion Awards honor the best in mobile software. Winners will receive a generous awards package including a $5,000 marketing stipend and other promotional opportunities."</i><br /><br />The winners for the Windows Mobile-based Pocket PCs are:<br /><br />• Best Business - BillRate by Two Peaks Software <br />• Best Education - DictionaryToGo by LearningToGo <br />• Best Fitness - BioBody by Biomobility <br />• Best Game - 200 Solitaires Collection by Paragon Technologie <br />• Best Lifestyle - Intelligolf Birdie Edition by Karrier Communications <br />• Best Medical - Davis's Drug Guide by Unbound Medicine<br />• Best Productivity - PhatPad by PhatWare <br />• Best Travel - TUBE Map Series by Visual IT <br /><br />Congratulations to all the winners! You can find them in <a href="http://www.handango.com/brainstore/PlatformHome.jsp?siteId=311&platformId=2">our Handango store</a>. [Affiliate]

foldedspace
06-25-2004, 06:06 PM
Best Game - 200 Solitaires Collection 8O

...those Microsoft ports better hurry up and get to market already...

BradPPC
06-25-2004, 07:57 PM
PhatPad over Textmaker for best productivity software??? Hmmmmmmm. :idontthinkso:

welmoed
06-25-2004, 09:00 PM
Too bad there wasn't a spell checker in the list, or maybe they celebrated a bit too hard... the award page says "Congratulations to all the winers!"

--Welmoed

alex_kac
06-26-2004, 07:41 PM
PhatPad over Textmaker for best productivity software??? Hmmmmmmm. :idontthinkso:

I believe the awards include originality and such over just pure "best". So while Textmaker is the best for its use - a word processor - Phatpad beats it as a "best" overall app with its small size, ease of use, etc...

Being "Best" is kind of difficult to judge really. Best really depends on what you're needing.

jlp
06-26-2004, 09:28 PM
Quote: "Best Travel - TUBE Map Series by Visual IT "???

I tried this for Paris when I went there last month. While the Metro map with its animated visual map is neat, the street map is incomplete and absolutely unusable: one of the 3 or 4 main train station of the French capital city is not to be found, the Gare de Lyon.

Then I tried to find a famous street not far off and it's not there either. It looks like a whole part of the city is completely missing, the southern third or quarter of the map!! 8O

The way the program is designed to find streets makes it unsuable: in English all street, boulevard, etc. names start with the name then followed by the type; example: Oxford Street, Oxford Boulevard, Oxford Lane, etc. In french it's the opposite: you have the type first and the name last: Boulevard de Neully, Place de Neully, Rue de Neully, etc. And because all the streets are listed alphabetically within the full list, you'll only find the first, Boulevard de Neully in our example, and you have to manually scroll down the FULL list within thousands of entries. This defeats the purpose of a search feature. Both MS PocketStreets and MetrO filter out the found items, making it easy to access the one you want.

You'll probably have the same problem with other European maps: both in Italian and Spanish (probably a few others too) the type of the street is placed first. Examples: Via (street) Garibaldi (name) or Calle (street) Nueve (new), etc.

Back to Paris and not better: the RER map is separate from the metro map while both systems interconnects at many strategic stations 8O so you have to constantly open one and the other and back and forth, etc. again.

Quite a few disappointments :cry: for a "best" program :evil:

dh
06-26-2004, 10:23 PM
The winners in the Palm sector seemed to be more deserving than the PPC ones. Docs to Go and Agendus are both first class. If I do end up with the new Treo, Agendus will be the first software I buy.

In the PPC Productivity award, I would have though Planmaker a better choice than PhatPad. Textmaker too, although it's been around a while now. Where are are old friends PI and AF?

I really don't pay too much attention to these kinds of things, there's some great PPC software around that never seems to get a mention.

My favorite app of all those sold by Handango is StageOne, which being a Linux program doesn't even have a catergory to compete in. A PPC version would be a good alternative to PhatPad for taking and organising notes. FreeNoteQT is another good one.

freitasm
06-27-2004, 06:07 AM
Too bad there wasn't a spell checker in the list, or maybe they celebrated a bit too hard... the award page says "Congratulations to all the winers!"

--Welmoed

:lol: I was there during the summit and awards ceremony, and, err, hmmm... Well, we partied hard, AFTER it :oops: