View Full Version : GPS-enabled flash

wgb14
06-25-2004, 10:33 AM
Hi,

I just wonder if there is any way of creating an application which will play specific swf files (stored locally on a PDA) based on the location of the user (GPS data).Any ideas please help

Thanks

surur
06-25-2004, 11:28 AM
Like this? On pt's web site (http://www.flashenabled.com), half-way down. He programmes mainly in flash, and this application is flash-based too.

location based play lists (using gps to play songs based on where you are at)
this is a bit complicated, so hopefully i can explain this properly. if you read this site, you know i created a "portable geek gym" basically it's a few mobile devices that i wear while i run. the next evolution of the features is something i've been working on for a bit location based play lists. what are they? well- imagine the songs on your music playing device changing based on where you are at, that's what i made- for now i am using a pocket pc with gps to feed in the location data as i jog, based on that data my flash mx application will load in specific play lists and songs. as i run in areas that have steep hills i want hard rock, when i am running in the flat areas i tend to prefer hip hop. the screeshot to the right is ugly, but it's just for testing. i'd like my car to play different songs based on the drive and roads i am taking too (working on that).

future versions might support weather data, and/or sharing playlists, so you could literally run "sound tracks".

perhaps one day this will be the new drm (digital rights management) digital films won't play unless they are in the theater, who knows.

for now my application is working fine, i am adding more play lists based on landmarks now (as i jog near the space needle, it will play historical information).

wgb14
06-25-2004, 01:16 PM
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. This is exactly what I mean. Unfortuantely, I already know the site, and its owner does not say how exactly he developed these applications (code examples, etc). I also emailed him asking to make the code of these applications available but he refused.
Any other suggestions?

Thanks

surur
06-25-2004, 04:58 PM
Check out this website

http://www.pocketpccreations.com/custom/gps.htm

and this one

http://www.mobilizedsoftware.com/enterprise/showArticle.jhtml?articleId=22100181

and some programming, and bobs your uncle. What are you trying to do? A kind of guided tour with pictures and sound, based on your location?

Surur

wgb14
06-25-2004, 06:41 PM
Hi,

<<What are you trying to do? A kind of guided tour with pictures and sound, based on your location?>>

Yes, this is exactly what I am trying to do. My application must display specific flash files (stored locally on the PDA) based on the location of the user. I will check the sites that you gave me and I will post again.

Sven Johannsen
06-25-2004, 07:08 PM
I'm gathering that this is going to be an outside guided tour with a reasonable amount of distance between the locations.

wgb14
06-25-2004, 07:24 PM
Yes exactly! The point however, is to enable my application to load and unload the flash files automaticaly based on the user location. Although the sites that Surur gave me are quite usefull, I do not see that they provide me with a way to make flash communicate with GPS.

Steven Cedrone
06-25-2004, 07:37 PM
Yes exactly! The point however, is to enable my application to load and unload the flash files automaticaly based on the user location. Although the sites that Surur gave me are quite usefull, I do not see that they provide me with a way to make flash communicate with GPS.

Go back to Surur's first post, if you want to communicate with someone about this, pt is your man!

Steve

wgb14
06-25-2004, 08:02 PM
Ok! I will ask him to write an article or tutorial on how he developed these applications. Hope he will agree!!