View Full Version : Wireless access

Roonie
06-25-2004, 09:42 AM
Ive picked up my x30 and Im having troubles connecting to my AP using WEP. I can connect to the AP using my notebook with a (g) PCMCIA card but having trouble with the Axim. No probs if I disable WEP. (Im assuming that 11b access is OK with 128bit encryption). Any clues?

Janak Parekh
06-25-2004, 04:49 PM
Try upgrading your router's firmware, perhaps? Also search Dell's site for X30 updates, although I wouldn't expect any to be out yet.

I don't have one, and I haven't heard many reports of the X30's WEP working or not working, so I'm afraid I can't be of more help. :(

--janak

Sven Johannsen
06-25-2004, 07:16 PM
WEP works fine on X30s, based on posts and a colleaque that has one. Typically the problem is fat fingering the key, not getting it all, trying to use a pass-phrase in dissimilar equipment.

If it works without WEP and doesn't with, 9 times out of 10, it is just different keys. There are 26 Hex characters in a 128 bit Key BTW. Most key windows don't show them all unless you scroll.

I posted my technique a while back. Basically it involves copying (Ctrl-C) the Key from the APs key field to a note, syncing the note, and copying the Key from that note into the key field on the PPC (Ctrl-C, Ctrl-V).

Roonie
06-26-2004, 08:27 AM
And sometimes one can be a thorough dipstick
Know the difference between a passphrase and a key????
what an idiot
I was reading your response Sven and realised I was entering my passphrase (used to generate the key on my AP) as my key!! :oops:
Many thanks from downunder