View Full Version : Ever recommended a Palm?

billbuckner
06-25-2004, 12:18 AM
I've recommended a Palm once, yesterday. Guy I knew needed a PDA for basic PIM apps. I saw a Clie marked "Last one, $80" so I got it.

serpico
06-25-2004, 12:38 AM
Not anymore. I just switched from years of being a palm user and picked up my first pocketpc last week. How could I recommend a palm to someone after the trouble I went through with my last one and many others around me. I believe their desktop software needs help now, the latest killed any hope of having more than one successful sync a day. I was surprised that everyone around me was having the same problems both on windows and mac osx platforms. The pocketpc just does so much more that ones who use the basic PIM apps, will be excited to know they can listen to music or watch short videos very easily.

maximus
06-25-2004, 01:28 AM
Recommend a palm to a friend, and in return, receiving a very bad karma and spending eternity in hell ?

Why would I want to do that ? :mrgreen:

dh
06-25-2004, 01:48 AM
A few years ago I recommended a Palm to myself and I bought a Vx. For the time it was just great. I used every day for ages and it never did a thing wrong.

For anyone wanting something to use as a simple organiser, I'd still suggest a Palm if the potential user wanted something as simple as possible. Of course I'd recommend a PPC for someone who would be interested in more advanced features and a Zaurus if they were looking for adventure.

I'm a great believer in getting what works best for the particular person, rather than saying one OS is better than the others.

buckyg
06-25-2004, 02:17 AM
I agree with dh, recommend what's best for the person who will use it. Yes, I did recommend a Palm about a year or so ago. It was to a family member who just wanted a simple organizer. There were some Palms and PPCs side by side. He was impressed by the PPC but I could tell it was just too much and he'd be frustrated with it.

Now, for my more tech-savvy friends and colleagues...

milkman dan
06-25-2004, 02:28 AM
I don't hate anyone enough to reccomend a palm :D

Sven Johannsen
06-25-2004, 02:36 AM
Of course. I have some very high tech friends whose dog needed a new chew toy :wink:

I agree with dh too. There are some folks that just don't need the power in their pocket that a PPC can give them. The basic Palm OS still does what it does, well.

Anthony Caruana
06-25-2004, 03:03 AM
I have recommended both PPCs and Palm devices to people in different circumstances.

My general feeling is that for the user that wants PIM functions mainly then the Palm is the way to go. It is easier to use as there are less things to tinker with. In fact, at the moment, my main PDA is a Zire 72.

For the more "technical" user the PPC is what I recomend. You can do lots more with a Pocket PC. Also, given the nature of many corporate environemnts, it's not always easy to not recommend Microsoft.

In my opinion the the Palm is like a Mac. Turn it on and off you go. The PPC is a bit more like a PC. More stuff to fiddle with.

Brad Adrian
06-25-2004, 03:10 AM
Of course, I'd recommend a Palm if that kind of device meets the person's needs better. It used to be that price was a real differentiator, but that's not the case anymore. It also used to be the case that some of the best physician programs (like ePocrates) was only available for Palms. Now, that issue has gone away, too.

tanalasta
06-25-2004, 07:07 AM
Just recommended a Palm to a friend today. For pure medical applications, stability and ease of use: Palm is the way to go. Most of my colleagues have palms. I know many a pocketpc user who has gone back to Palm after having countless resets, hard-resets, frozen and ultimately broken devices.

Me? I want an IPAQ 4xxx :)

Steven Cedrone
06-25-2004, 02:10 PM
Heck, I used Palms for years! I have no problem with recomending them to anyone. I have quite a few friends that have them, and when they tell me they want to go to Pocket PC, I say "Don't" (Not because of Pocket PC mind you, I just think they will be calling me all hours of the day and night with questions and wanting support) My wife still uses a Palm...

Steve

that_kid
06-25-2004, 03:09 PM
I recommend palms to people if it fits their needs. Most of the time people want to do what they see me doing with my ppc and in those cases i'll recommend a ppc. Sometimes a person only needs a datebook and i'll send them the palm route. A $100 palm is very convincing but I also tell them that if they plan on doing more t
at they should look at ppc's.

Janak Parekh
06-25-2004, 05:07 PM
I do the same as most of you guys, but one counterpoint: I set my mom, my sister, and one of my cousins all with iPAQs, and they're very happy with them. I'd like to think it's partially because the Pocket PC is actually reasonably straightforward and because they're not idiots. ;)

--janak

Steven Cedrone
06-25-2004, 06:04 PM
and because they're not idiots. ;)

That's what seperates the "I'd recommend the Palm" vs. "I'd recomend the Pocket PC" for me!

Steve

Mark Kenepp
06-25-2004, 06:34 PM

That's what seperates the "I'd recommend the Palm" vs. "I'd recomend the Pocket PC" for me!

Steve

So when you are driving down the highway and someone cuts you off you stick your head out the window and scream, YOU SHOULD GET A PALM! :bad-words:

that_kid
06-25-2004, 06:37 PM
Same here, my dad, mom, uncles and a few cousin's all have pocket pc's and they wouldn't have it any other way. Some of them used palms prior to using pocketpc's and it was actually easier for them to use pocketpc's than palms.

billbuckner
06-25-2004, 07:00 PM

Steve

So when you are driving down the highway and someone cuts you off you stick your head out the window and scream, YOU SHOULD GET A PALM! :bad-words:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Janak Parekh
06-25-2004, 07:54 PM
This is the most brilliant thing I've read all day. :rotfl: Thanks.

--janak

maximus
06-28-2004, 12:21 PM
This is the most brilliant thing I've read all day. :rotfl: Thanks.

--janak

I think it will be much more efficient (and safe) to just stick a middle finger out of the window ...