View Full Version : iPAQ hx4700 Appears On HP's Support Page?

Janak Parekh
06-24-2004, 06:30 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://h20180.www2.hp.com/apps/Lookup?h_lang=en&h_cc=us&cc=us&h_page=hpcom&lang=en&h_client=S-A-R163-1&h_pagetype=software&h_query=ipaq&submit.x=0&submit.y=0' target='_blank'>http://h20180.www2.hp.com/apps/Look....x=0&submit.y=0</a><br /><br /></div>A new product has appeared on the above-linked HP support site:<br /><br />HP iPAQ hx4700 Pocket PC series<br />» HP iPAQ hx4700 TV Pocket PC<br /><br />There's nothing of substance on the linked-to page, but the name itself is interesting. What does TV mean, exactly? Commence speculation. ;) (If the link disappears... well, I won't be surprised. Incidentally, we previously discussed the hx4700 and other possible upcoming HP iPAQs <a href="http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=28132">here</a>.)

Dermot81
06-24-2004, 06:42 AM
why do they tease us like this? why?!?

bnycastro
06-24-2004, 06:45 AM
What does TV Pocket PC mean??? 8O or is this just a typo?

Janak Parekh
06-24-2004, 06:47 AM
What does TV Pocket PC mean??? 8O or is this just a typo?
That's my question to you. :P I have no clue!

--janak

takotchi
06-24-2004, 06:49 AM
I have 4 different ideas as to what the TV part means, myself:

1. The thing actually has real TV tuner functionality; like that monstrously large CF card we've seen a review of lately.

2. It has some sort of program that gives it PVR functionality to take TV with you, like that thing made by Creative. Although without lots of storage space (like a 4GB microdrive) it'd be pretty useless.

3. It has some sort of program that easily streams TV over WiFi or Bluetooth (I think a program called SnapStream does this also?)

4. It's just some sort of typo or mistake or something.

manywhere
06-24-2004, 07:11 AM
5. Maybe a DVB-H compliant Pocket PC, now that the Nokia 7700 isn't coming to the public (also has/had DVB-H)? :eek: But DVB homepage (http://www.dvb.org) doesn't list HP yet... :roll:

6. TV = Transmits Video? Naah... :idontthinkso:

huangzhinong
06-24-2004, 07:13 AM
It won't be typo, but maybe a mistake.

Bundled Pocket TV, that's a joke. :D

A TV tuner will be REALLY cool, but this device is for business purpose, I doubt they will include a TV set for each person.

huangzhinong
06-24-2004, 07:16 AM
TV= Transflective VGA :D :D

Stake
06-24-2004, 07:27 AM
My guess:

T = Touchpad
V = VGA

Both are exclusive to this model (according to previous reports)
But hey, we call all wish for over-the-broadcast television, can't we?

wocket
06-24-2004, 10:52 AM
Maybe TV is somthing to to with the whole home cinema control idea.

A bit like how they started with NEVO on the 2210 but better.

Pony99CA
06-24-2004, 11:48 AM
A new product has appeared on the above-linked HP support site:

HP iPAQ hx4700 Pocket PC series
» HP iPAQ hx4700 TV Pocket PC

Did you miss this, Janak?

HP iPAQ Pocket PC h6000 series
» HP iPAQ Pocket PC h6000 series
» HP iPAQ Pocket PC h6340 series

That should excite some people, too. :-D

Steve

Pony99CA
06-24-2004, 11:51 AM
TV= Transflective VGA :D :D
That gets my vote. I was going to guess the obvious meaning -- that it included the Nevo remote software (to control your TV).

Steve

cnyprecast
06-24-2004, 01:08 PM
This is all very interesting, but I have not heard anything about release dates since about a month ago.

Does anyone have any (reasonable) updates on the 4700 series release date?

Jonathon Watkins
06-24-2004, 01:20 PM
My guess:

T = Touchpad
V = VGA

Yup, I'd go for that as well. Still, real TV functionality built into 'standard' PPCs has to appear at some point. I don't think that time is just yet.

ScottC
06-24-2004, 02:22 PM
I think it's just an inside joke...

Next week they'll post one with GPS, then we'll see the 4700TiVo :D

Some bunch of engineers are just screwing with us :)

arnage2
06-24-2004, 03:01 PM
a tv ppc with vga would be the most innovation weve seen in awhile. but the battery life would suck

Sven Johannsen
06-24-2004, 03:44 PM
I think it is just marketing guys not being on the same page, in the loop, up to speed. The device has a lot of multimedia focus according to the manual posted at the FCC site. Wouldn't put it past a marketeer to use the ability to play back recorded TV as a justification to call it a TV PPC.

Saw a great ad the other day. It was for a base station handset thing you stuck your cell phone on to use it like a desk phone. It was billed...Universal handset, for all compatible phones. How do they sleep at night?

Janak Parekh
06-24-2004, 03:53 PM
Did you miss this, Janak?
Nope - we posted on that a few months ago.

The device has a lot of multimedia focus according to the manual posted at the FCC site.
The hx4700's manual hasn't been posted on the FCC's site yet. You're thinking of the rx3000 series devices...

--janak

Thras
06-24-2004, 03:56 PM
The device has a lot of multimedia focus according to the manual posted at the FCC site.

WHAT? Can you post a link to the manual or are referring to the rx3 series that was posted the other day?

BradPPC
06-24-2004, 06:10 PM
Maybe I'll finally have to say "So long" to my trusty rusty iPaq 3955. :byebye:

rzanology
06-24-2004, 06:19 PM
Orrr maybe, we'll get a media player skin that looks like a tv, theeen perhaps it would be a pocket tv. People please....let the device come out in peace. Im sure we'll all love it for what it has and even what it won't have.

on a side note....MPX!!!!!! 4700!!!!! Christmas comes early around here!

jeremyweisser
06-25-2004, 03:10 AM
It may very well stand for the new Microsoft portable media center type devices.

Janak Parekh
06-25-2004, 04:59 AM
let the device come out in peace.
Hey, we're just having fun here. ;) Speculation makes for interesting discussion.

--janak

takotchi
06-27-2004, 05:59 AM
If you notice on the FCC site, most of the "juicy stuff" (user's manual, pictures) for the rx3000 series has disappeared.

On June 25, a letter (downloadable) from HTC (makers of PocketPCs, in Taiwan) asks the FCC to not disclose the information until JULY 2ND.

Thus, I believe that must be the date HP plans to announce at least the rx3000 series, but hopefully the hx4700 as well!

DarrenS
06-27-2004, 12:22 PM
According to this article from The Register, http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/05/19/hp_ipaq_july_launch/, HP is prepping for a July 4th launch.

The article is not clear whether it includes the hx4700 in that launch.

[Edited]
Well I reread the article and found this:

Beyond the July launch, HP's next round of iPaq launches are set to take place in November with the release of 'Morpheus', the company's curvaceous iPaq to date - it looks like a stretched out Nokia 6600 smartphone.

From a functional perspective, it's a pure-play PDA, however. Like Explorer, Monroe is based on the PXA270 chip, clocked at 312MHz and 624MHz in the two versions of the machine set for the Autumn launch.

While the article states 'Morpheus' will be coming out in November, it says other specifically about the launch of 'Explorer'.

So the launches look like:
- 'Eastwood', July 4th
- 'Gable', July 4th
- 'Monroe', July 4th
- 'Morpheus', November
- 'Explorer', ????

Still does not answer the question, does it?!

takotchi
06-27-2004, 10:27 PM
Based on that article, I think the hx4700 is in the July launch. Look:

HP will apparently launch a raft on new iPaq PDAs on 4 July. With a nod toward PalmOne's Zire and Tungsten lines, three of the new machines will be aimed at the consumer multimedia market and the fourth will target the iPaq's traditional executive customer base.

I think the hx4700 is that fourth PocketPC mentioned.

DarrenS
06-27-2004, 11:34 PM
I missed that! Super. I'll be buying one as soon as they are announced. I have been using my original 3600 every day for about 4 years now. I've been tempted to upgrade before, but the hx4700 has everything I want.

iPAQ_ace
06-28-2004, 04:44 PM
My guess:

T = Touchpad
V = VGA

I agree... I don't believe the TV designation has anything to do with television but one can always wish for...

TheNinthPlayer
06-28-2004, 11:06 PM
My guess:

T = Touchpad
V = VGA

I agree... I don't believe the TV designation has anything to do with television but one can always wish for...

I disagree.

First. HP has never named its products in this fashion. Where is the HP rx3700 WFB (WiFi+BlueTooth) or CFSD (Compacft Flash &amp; Secure Digital).

Second. Samsung created a TV PDA and that was over a year ago. Here is a link : http://www.bargainpda.com/default.asp?newsID=1520&amp;showComments=true.

Third. Sony developed a special low power TV Tuner unit that is quite small. Orginally I thought it was going to be embed into Sony CLiEs. But Sony ended of showing a TV Tunning Memory Stick that they where developing. This was last year at CeBIT. Link : http://www.bargainpda.com/?newsID=1258&amp;showComments=true.

Forth. Isnt the battery for the Explorere a little big for a PDA. Its supose to be 1800mAh? Most PDAs I see are around 900mAh.

With those four reasons considered I dont see why it cant be a pocket TV+PDA

iPAQ_ace
06-29-2004, 02:38 PM
...from what I have heard from inside sources :wink: - there won't be a TV tuner embedded in this device. What was posted on the support website I think is more of a typo and like everyone else, we are trying to read more into it than we probably should - but then again time will tell everything.

TheNinthPlayer
07-02-2004, 10:49 PM
is it me or did it disappear from the hp website?