View Full Version : HP iPAQ 4100 ROM Update

Ed Hansberry
06-23-2004, 02:00 PM
<a href="http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/HandheldiPAQ/us/download/21095.html">http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/HandheldiPAQ/us/download/21095.html</a><br /><br />HP has released ROM 1.00.14 for the iPAQ 4100 series. It is a 17MB download and right now, available in English. Fixes and enhancements include:<br /><br />•SD Card: Fixes issue where the SD card is not recognized if the handheld enters Suspend/Resume during file transfer between SD card and desktop using ActiveSync. <br />•SD Card: Fixes issue where the handheld stops responding after a cold reset if an SD card is inserted.<br />•System: Fixes issue where handheld stops responding after warm reset if WLAN is off and Bluetooth is on. <br />•ActiveSync: Fixes issue where a third-party application caused the inadvertent deletion of the contact database during a sync. <!><br />•Calculator: Fixes issue where "Set Memory dialog" remained on screen. <br />•Connection Manager: Fixes issue where PPP Authentications did not succeed when renegotiating CHAP authorization on LAC/CHAP LNS/CHAP extended networks. <br />•Connections: Fixes issue where zero configuration did not use the correct WEP key for the connection. <br />•Connections: Fixes issue where wireless tab did not remain if a passthrough connection was installed.<br />•Contacts: Removes default birthday and anniversary dates in Contacts. <br />•Inbox: Fixes issue where "friendly names" that contained a comma or accent mark were not handled properly. <br />•Inbox: Fixes issue where cursor position changed from original location after switching tasks.<br />•Pocket Internet Explorer: Improves WAP browser so that it passes additional cache-management tests. <br />•Pocket Inernet Explorer: Enables Pocket Internet Explorer to correctly handle Suspend mode.<br />•Shell: Fixes issue where File Explorer would stop responding (crash) if the location it was exploring was removed. <br />•Shell: Fixes issue where Voice recordings could not be saved to the selected location. <br />•Shell: Fixes I-cache corruption issues.<br />•Improves roaming performance for wireless LAN (WLAN). <br />•Updates Splash screen to include the new Microsoft Windows Mobile brand. <br />•Adds a DRM enhancement to the reader. <br />•Updates .NET Compact Framework to version 1.0 Service Pack 1. <br />•Adds ability to configure the ordering of favorites in Microsoft Pocket Internet Explorer (pIE). <br />•Adds GeoTrust SSL certificates to root certificate store. <br />•Adds M2M certificates to Privileged root store. <br />•Adds ability to save voice notes even if the Notes application is not active. <br />•Adds ability to use Autorun with three storage units. <br />•Adds the ability to intercept Connection Manager Errors that happen in the background. <br />•Adds wireless network support for an SSID that has 32 characters. <br />•Updates Wireless dialog so it displays the wireless icon. <br />•Improves ability to detect the names of other devices with more accuracy during Bluetooth communication.

GraemeF
06-23-2004, 02:25 PM
Heyy - what about Windows Mobile 2003 SE? :|
Not sure I can be bothered to install this update if the SE update is (supposedly) not too far away... Any news on that? :?

ventivent
06-23-2004, 02:27 PM
Hi there,

The ROM update file appears to have been removed from their FTP site.

V

WillyG
06-23-2004, 02:37 PM
Hi there,

The ROM update file appears to have been removed from their FTP site.

V

Notced the same. Could be due to high load tho

EDIT: You are right, its not there! Lets pray they replace it with a SE rom :roll: ITS DUE

Boxster S
06-23-2004, 02:43 PM
Does NE1 have a mirror?

prototype
06-23-2004, 02:44 PM
the ROM file is apparently back up ... I just downloaded it without any problem.

-Drew

CorysWorld
06-23-2004, 02:47 PM
It does not look like it has an update for WiFi WPA. The recent update for the 5500 series had this, I hope they add it for the 4150.

Zack Mahdavi
06-23-2004, 03:15 PM
Hmm... looks like the file's not available again. I'll wait until the evening before downloading this.

Update: Never mind what I said above. I think the site is just under a high load right now.

I'm having the weirdest installation issue, though. In the section that shows your Model ID, image version, and language, both the "language" and "model number" are blank. When I click update, it says I don't have the right model, and it refuses to continue. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

outdoor
06-23-2004, 03:22 PM
should be back on by now... i've just finished downloading it.

Boxster S
06-23-2004, 03:42 PM
should be back on by now... i've just finished downloading it.

Still not working here

Sydney Bristow
06-23-2004, 03:58 PM
I'm downloading it now, and it seems to be working...:)

acollet
06-23-2004, 05:43 PM
No problems here w/ download or install... not lest see whats broke :twisted:

ScottC
06-23-2004, 05:54 PM
If this doesn't contain the WPA update I will be quite dissapointed, my wife uses a 4150 and I use an old 1945, my old beast supports WPA on the SDIO card but her device doesn't, so I have had to delay turning WPA on on my AP :(

It's taken them ages to release this update, the least they could have done was make it a 2003SE update :(

Sven Johannsen
06-23-2004, 06:09 PM
It's taken them ages to release this update, the least they could have done was make it a 2003SE update :(

What?, before their new models with it have been available for a while, tempting us to buy. You know it's not going to be a free download :?

Glad this came out. I've been putting off reseting and rebuilding my 4155. Now I have a good reason.

Empyrean
06-23-2004, 06:19 PM
For anyone that has updated their ROM, I have the following questions:

Did they update MSN Messenger?
Did they implement LEAP supprt?
Did they update Microsoft Reader?

This is my first PocketPC and I know I had to had to update those applications to the latest versions which obviously takes up space. I'm wondering if they took the time to bring them up to the latest versions so I can save a little RAM/storage card space. I'm glad to hear they updated the .NET framework.

Thanks in advance.

yanathin
06-23-2004, 07:15 PM
Hmm, kinda weird... Still no midi support? The other models got it, but not this one...

logo20heli
06-23-2004, 09:25 PM
Did they update MSN Messenger?
LEAP support was present on the original 1.00.07 ROM that came with my iPAQ 4155 that I purchased in December last year. It works fine with my corporate Cisco LEAP implementation. I just loaded the 1.00.14 ROM and it also works fine.

jbachandouris
06-23-2004, 09:48 PM
:evil: Apparently to many users are trying to get this update since I keep getting an error when I click download.

Andy Whiteford
06-23-2004, 11:09 PM
MSN Messenger is updated. No Bliss theme though - the default is now the new WM2003SE theme including the ring of blue dots when you tap and hold.

ventivent
06-23-2004, 11:31 PM
Ok,

I finally got the download of the updated ROM file. Went through all the steps; the program detected my IPAQ, and the current ROM version (1.00.07) and when I click "Update" to proceed with the ROM update, it gives me an "Error [244] Invalid Device ID." Anyone know why I am getting this error? I have an IPAQ 4155

Thanks,

V

Zack Mahdavi
06-24-2004, 06:09 AM
Ok,

I finally got the download of the updated ROM file. Went through all the steps; the program detected my IPAQ, and the current ROM version (1.00.07) and when I click "Update" to proceed with the ROM update, it gives me an "Error [244] Invalid Device ID." Anyone know why I am getting this error? I have an IPAQ 4155

Thanks,

V

I'm having the same exact problem. I'm not sure why we're having problems.

spontaneous
06-24-2004, 07:59 AM
I have followed the instruction exactly and as soon as it started loading the rom, ROM update software stopped and said there was an error. That's seconds after the 4150 went to the rom update mode with the white screen+hp logo in the center. It also gave me an instruction on how to hard reset..(duh..) and when I do it, it goes right back to the same screen. No USB recognition, nothing. Power button doesn't even work. I left out the battery to prevent it from getting over-drained.

Called HP support, waited 20 minutes on hold due to 'UNUSUALLY' 8O high call volumes.. finally they pick up, of course the tier-1 support ask me to do all the stuff I've already done(or anybody with IQ of 10 or higher would've done), and put me through the 'how to take your sweet time to finally declare that your ipaq is done, for dummies' for next 30 minutes. :roll:

They are sending me a box so I can ship my ipaq to the service center. He said it would take 1 day to receive the box, 3-4 days to get the ipaq back. Not too bad I thought.

One thing he said, when he got my serial number, was your hardware warranty expires on Jan 05, but your software warranty has already expired. What software warranty??? Did he mean the ROM? That was the weirdest thing.

Andy Whiteford
06-24-2004, 09:38 AM
The notification problem with duplicates also seems to be resolved but can anyone else confirm this? I decided to load up MemMaid and do a few soft resets to check for duplicates before adding Scarybear's Clear Notify program and there were no duplicates to report so I didn't bother installing the Clear Notify program. I'm not sure if Battery Pack has anything that would clear this in the latest build as that was all I had installed at this point. So far so good though.

jbachandouris
06-24-2004, 12:08 PM
:?: So is this confirmed- you don't need the Clear Notify program? If so, I will remove it.

I was able to sucessfully upgrade mine with no errors. Thank God!

Andy Whiteford
06-24-2004, 12:14 PM
:?: So is this confirmed- you don't need the Clear Notify program? If so, I will remove it.

I was able to sucessfully upgrade mine with no errors. Thank God!

Provided Battery Pack doesn't clean the notification queue - I don't think it does - then yes this issue appears resolved. MemMaid has found no duplicates and I looked through the queue manually and there were no erroneous or duplicate entries.
Not sure if this is an HP or MS fix though. Does anyone know if this is fixed in WM2003 SE??

outdoor
06-24-2004, 12:56 PM
for those who updated their roms sucessfully, did you guys have battery pack installed?? did you guys uninstalled batt pack before updating the ROM??

Andy Whiteford
06-24-2004, 02:46 PM
for those who updated their roms sucessfully, did you guys have battery pack installed?? did you guys uninstalled batt pack before updating the ROM??

I had it installed but didn't uninstall anything before the rom update. I don't think any installed software will impact on the update as a hard reset is performed as part of the upgrade.

prototype
06-24-2004, 03:05 PM
Since the IPAQ Rom update wipes out your IPAQ completely, I did a hard reset after backing all my data, before trying the update. I just made a guest partnership to apply the update.

Starting with a freshly hard reset device will clear up some of your issues.

My ROM update was finished in under 8 min and have not had any problems with it since reinstalling everything and re-syncing.

knock on wood.

-Drew

Zack Mahdavi
06-24-2004, 03:41 PM
Starting with a freshly hard reset device will clear up some of your issues.

Hmm.. I tried that as well. I hard reset my device and then set up a guest partership. It still gave me an error for having an "invalid model id." The model ID field it presents is blank, actually.

Have all of you installed Activesync from the HP CD? The last time I reformatted, I just downloaded Activesync from Microsoft's site. Is it possible that may have anything to do with it?

outdoor
06-24-2004, 03:54 PM
what version of activesync is yours?? i recall it has to be version 3.7 or later.

netboy
06-24-2004, 04:01 PM
must be the damn "MICROSOFT activesync 3.71"! after i tried to update the rom, it said i got errors. and my ipaq is freezed. cant do reset or hardreset. have to send it to HP for repair. kinda nice, they use overnight delievery. they just received my 4155 today. if i lucky, i get my 4155 back tommorrow (since they use overnight delivery), if not, i probably get my 4155 back on Monday

prototype
06-24-2004, 04:16 PM
I am running Active Sync 3.7.1 (Build 3244)

-Drew

Andy Whiteford
06-24-2004, 04:31 PM
I'm on the latest build of 3.7.1 as well without issue.

spontaneous
06-24-2004, 04:54 PM
must be the damn "MICROSOFT activesync 3.71"! after i tried to update the rom, it said i got errors. and my ipaq is freezed. cant do reset or hardreset. have to send it to HP for repair. kinda nice, they use overnight delievery. they just received my 4155 today. if i lucky, i get my 4155 back tommorrow (since they use overnight delivery), if not, i probably get my 4155 back on Monday

Actually, when my 4150 died and called HP, their tier 1 support specifically asked me to get Activesync 3.7, not 3.7.1 and then try to update the ROM again. but it was already too late, ipaq no longer responded at that point. is it really Activesync? just some weird combination with 3.7.1 and other things?

pepemosca
06-25-2004, 05:05 AM
Why in the "Connectivity" popup says: "Turn on/off flight mode"?

Why "flight"? What does it means? Why not anymore "Turn on/off wireless feature"?

Janak Parekh
06-25-2004, 05:07 AM
Why in the "Connectivity" popup says: "Turn on/off flight mode"?
This is the new trend (the "opposite" setting; the idea is that no wireless should be on during a flight). I'm not a fan of it either, but maybe airlines prefer this? :|

--janak

pepemosca
06-25-2004, 05:09 AM
Also not fan of these terms.

I was reading http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=27274&highlight=turn+flight+mode

But as you say, the explanation is not very good.
Hope they reconsider the term.

jonathanchoo
06-25-2004, 02:24 PM
Can I restore my PDA using iPAQ backup after applying the backup. I am on holiday away from my main PC and can't do a proper rebuild.

Andy Whiteford
06-25-2004, 02:41 PM
Can I restore my PDA using iPAQ backup after applying the backup. I am on holiday away from my main PC and can't do a proper rebuild.

While it may be possible - typically you can't and I would never recommend someone try this. You won't do any harm though if you wish to try it - just don't rely on anything working.

jonathanchoo
06-25-2004, 02:48 PM

While it may be possible - typically you can't and I would never recommend someone try this. You won't do any harm though if you wish to try it - just don't rely on anything working.

Actually I did it with the two ROM updates in my Toshiba e310 and it did work. I kinda hoped it would since its just a ROM update within the same OS. Well anyone's done it?

baker
06-25-2004, 04:03 PM
Uninstalled 3.71 and loaded 3.7 from the CD. Update went fine for my 4155.

fixerdude
06-25-2004, 06:18 PM
Do not rely on the reminder after the ROM update. Mine stopped working completely. Even after the "wake-up" tweaks. I'm still trying to find out what's happening. Will post later on my findings. :evil: oh well...such is life with micro$oft.

netboy
06-25-2004, 07:07 PM
THIS IS WHAT I CALLED "SERVICE"!!
i tried to update my 4155 to the newer rom using activesyne 3.71.. and after 1 min into updating.. i got a "CONNECTION ERRORS". and my 4155 is freezed! cant do reset or hard reset, the 4155 is just dead! cant do anything with it!
so i called HP (tuesday), they said they send me box for me to return the 4155 to them. got the box the next day! (wed). after i got the box and send out my 4155, they received my 4155 the next day! (thursday). and today (friday), i just got back my 4155! THIS IS WHAT I CALLS "SERVICE"! HP is using overnight delivery!
can DELL does this?? i dont think so! i ordered my Dell X30 with 620mzh on 6/22/04, they said expected delivery date is 7/14/2004. WTF!

Myrddin
06-26-2004, 12:58 AM
My new iPaq (bought two weeks ago) already has this applied.... and I'm in Australia.

According to Asset Viewer:
Product Revision Level: 1.0
ROM Date: 02/26/04
ROM Revision: 1.00.14 ENG
OS Version: Windows CE 4.20

Is this right?
It appears I already have it... but the rom date and Windows CE plain version 4.20 sound wrong to me??

pepemosca
06-26-2004, 01:17 AM
My new iPaq (bought two weeks ago) already has this applied.... and I'm in Australia.

According to Asset Viewer:
Product Revision Level: 1.0
ROM Date: 02/26/04
ROM Revision: 1.00.14 ENG
OS Version: Windows CE 4.20

Is this right?
It appears I already have it... but the rom date and Windows CE plain version 4.20 sound wrong to me??

I've made the ROM update and I have the exactly same versions.
Your versions are ok.

Myrddin
06-26-2004, 01:26 AM
I've made the ROM update and I have the exactly same versions.
Your versions are ok.

Thanks very much!

Interesting, HP must have been shipping the 415x for a while with the new ROM applied?

ventivent
06-26-2004, 04:22 PM
OK,

I've tried everything:

1. Updated to Activesync 3.7.1
2. Uninstalled Activesync 3.7.1 completely, and reinstaledl 3.7 from the IPaq CD.
3. Multiple hard resets

I stil can't get the ROM update to work. I continue to get the same message "Error [244] Invalid Device ID." The ROM Updater software detects my IPaq, and knows that I currently have ROM version 1.00.07 on it, but it refuses to update the ROM. Any other ideas?

Thanks,
V

pepemosca
06-26-2004, 04:26 PM
Can you try to update with another computer (i mean, desktop pc or notebook)?

Sydney Bristow
06-27-2004, 02:12 AM
Blah, I just installed the ROM Update, only to come across the so-called "Activestuck Guest Mode" bug...

...now I'm stuck as a guest. I've tried numerous soft and hard resets, tried the regedit solutions (which didn't help much in the first place since I only had one mobile device name there), all to no avail... :cry:

It would be greatly appreciated if someone could help (already searched through millions of threads with same problem, with no solution...)! :oops:

P.S: I've tried so many hard resets, this isn't going to damage my PPC, is it? ^^;;

P.P.S: It connects fine if the PPC is raw, but after I restore the data to its state previous to the ROM Update (I'd backed everything up right before), it gets stuck as Guest. --;

P.P.P.S: Yes, I am using the latest version of ActiveSync (3.71).

pepemosca
06-27-2004, 02:48 AM
Blah, I just installed the ROM Update, only to come across the so-called "Activestuck Guest Mode" bug...

...now I'm stuck as a guest. I've tried numerous soft and hard resets, tried the regedit solutions (which didn't help much in the first place since I only had one mobile device name there), all to no avail... :cry:

It would be greatly appreciated if someone could help (already searched through millions of threads with same problem, with no solution...)! :oops:

P.S: I've tried so many hard resets, this isn't going to damage my PPC, is it? ^^;;

P.P.S: It connects fine if the PPC is raw, but after I restore the data to its state previous to the ROM Update (I'd backed everything up right before), it gets stuck as Guest. --;

P.P.P.S: Yes, I am using the latest version of ActiveSync (3.71).

Did you try by deleting all your "partnerships" and also uninstalling the AS?

Ed Hansberry
06-27-2004, 03:15 AM
Try this: On the PC, run: regsvr32 msxml3.dll
Now reboot your PC and soft reset your Pocket PC

ctmagnus
06-27-2004, 05:16 AM

By data, do you mean just the stuff that ActiveSync syncs, or the whole thing including \Program Files, \Windows, the registry, databases...?

Sydney Bristow
06-27-2004, 10:07 PM
Thank you so much everyone, I deleted the only partnership I had, connected as a guest (in the raw state), restored the data, disconnected, restarted computer, and finally it worked! :D

P.S: By restore, I meant the entire PPC data, not just the normal syncs. ^_^

ventivent
06-28-2004, 04:15 PM
Hi there,

I know I'm not the only person that's been getting this error, since people are talking about it on the HP support forums, too. This is really quite frustrating.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled Activesync, tried 3.7 and 3.7.1 versions, performed mulitple hard resets on my 4155 and even repeated the process on two completely different computers.

If anybody has ANY idea why we are getting this error, or has encountered this error and managed wittingly or not to get around it, your input would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

V

PS, here is a link to the HP support forum discussion.
http://forums.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=621036

ventivent
06-28-2004, 04:32 PM
Ok here are screenshots of the errors we are getting:

http://pubweb.northwestern.edu/~adhwang/ipaq1.jpg

Notice how the Asset viewer fails to display a Model ID or language, but correctly displays the current ROM version.

http://pubweb.northwestern.edu/~adhwang/ipaq2.jpg

Zack Mahdavi
06-28-2004, 07:17 PM
ventivent, I was having the same exact problem as you. I tried numerous soft and hard resets, deleting partnerships from activesync, reinstalling activesync from the HP CD, and trying to run the update from a different computer. None of those worked for me.

So I called HP. The guy asked for my serial number. So I went to Start -> Settings -> System tab -> Asset Viewer, and to my surprise, the "Serial #" field was blank. So was the model number. It seems like some of the 4155s made it out of the factory without getting their serial numbers programmed in. Nevertheless, HP is sending me a box via overnight. Their support has been outstanding.

ventivent
06-28-2004, 10:41 PM
Hey Zack,

I looked under Asset Viewer, and I have the same thing:

There are a lot of blanks:

-Serial #
-RAM Size
-ROM Size
-Flash manufacturer
-Flash chip type
-Flash block size
-Product revision level
-Color display: NO (!)
-Horizontal resolution
-Vertical Resolution
-Manufacturer
-Model ID
-Language
-Bluetooth hardware revision
-Wireless LAN hardware revision

I'm on the phone with HP support now. Wish me luck.

V

shadowFX
07-01-2004, 04:50 AM
If i update my ppc's rom version to blahalbah.14, will it delete all of my programs.

And i did search, but i'm not going through 422 pages.

sylvester_0
07-01-2004, 08:31 AM
HP is using overnight delivery!
can DELL does this?? i dont think so! i ordered my Dell X30 with 620mzh on 6/22/04, they said expected delivery date is 7/14/2004. WTF!

Yes you ORDERED something. A new product. Stuff from dell usually takes a week for me.
I hope that you don't speak english as your primary language, that would explain a lot of your post.

Anyway, you said it: SERVICE. Companies use overnight for most of their service. When I have gotten my Dell laptop repaired, they over-nighted a box, repaired it, then I got it back the next day. Also, we have had a bunch of batteries go bad on laptops from them, also overnighted. I have also received great service with HP. A 4600 laser printer's network module had gone bad, and it was out of warranty. They later CALLED BACK telling us that their had been a bad batch of cards and the warranty had been extended to 5 years. I don't like hp's support though (out of warranty AT ALL - give us your credit card to talk to us.) Dell's support is for the lifetime of the product and I think their web support for downloading drivers etc is second to none.

shadowFX
07-01-2004, 09:09 AM
If i backup my programs and stuff (onto my storage card), after i upgrade to the latest rom release, if i try to restore the backup, would it work? And would it would be the .14 version still?

Ed Hansberry
07-01-2004, 01:45 PM
If i update my ppc's rom version to blahalbah.14, will it delete all of my programs.

And i did search, but i'm not going through 422 pages.
Yes, it should. After a ROM upgrade, you generally need to do a hard reset then reinstall your apps. Don't try to do a restore. That is like restoreing a Windows XP backup on to a Windows XP SP1 system. You'll hose it.

shadowFX
07-02-2004, 12:03 AM
well i got a couple of programs such as a dictionary on it, which i think a person installed when, i bought my ppc. Is there anyway to backup it?
If i have to, i would be willing the take it of the ppc and take the registre files for it on my pc, but i perfer something else other than that

baker
07-02-2004, 11:32 AM
The notification problem with duplicates also seems to be resolved but can anyone else confirm this? I decided to load up MemMaid and do a few soft resets to check for duplicates before adding Scarybear's Clear Notify program and there were no duplicates to report so I didn't bother installing the Clear Notify program. I'm not sure if Battery Pack has anything that would clear this in the latest build as that was all I had installed at this point. So far so good though.

I had duplicate notifications after the ROM update so I don't think it cleared up things.

jedaharris
07-04-2004, 05:35 AM
With all of the difficulty upgrading the ROM, would you guys still get your iPaq 4150?

Zack Mahdavi
07-04-2004, 10:46 PM
With all of the difficulty upgrading the ROM, would you guys still get your iPaq 4150?

I think only a small group of us (me included) had problems with the ROM upgrade. This ROM upgrade wasn't absolutely necessary in the first place, as I didn't have any problems with my iPaq. I would still buy the iPaq 4155 over the Dell because it's smaller and built very well.

Both devices are good, so it's really a matter of what's better for you. Read reviews on both devices to help make a decision. :)

snarfo
07-12-2004, 08:33 PM
I finally just got around to trying the ROM upgrade and it fails telling me there is no AC power to the iPAQ... and there most certainly IS. tried soft reset, hard reset, same error... any ideas?