View Full Version : so im thinking about getting a keyboard

sp0om
06-21-2004, 10:17 PM
hello

a keyboard for my ppc is going to be my latest upgrade, and i would appreciate a little bit of guidence. Im sure some of you have gone down this road and could help me out ;)

wireless, or connected? ive heard that ir keyboards lag. is this really a big problem?

any other general advice regarding ppc keyboards would be very much appreciated.

Zack Mahdavi
06-21-2004, 10:51 PM
Well, you have a number of choices. Try searching the forums to find all the options available to you.

I've used Think Outside's Stowaways in the past, and their build and quality is phenomenal. The Stowaway Wireless IR keyboard doesn't have any noticeable lag, imo. Think Outside also just released a Bluetooth version, which has received some good reviews. Unfortunately, it's pretty expensive at $150.

Just some food for thought.. :)

ignar
06-21-2004, 11:04 PM
Stowaway IR keyboard is pretty good. It works very well with my iPaq 4150. Bulid quality is top-notch, and it's not as heavy or bulky as Targus keyboard. Obvious advantage of IR keyboard is you can use it with many other PDAs which include PocketPC, Palm, and even some smartphones. Drivers are freely available at Thinkoutside site. I haven't noticed any lags in typing. There are some downsides. It doesn't have dedicated number keys, and the keys feel a little soft for my taste.

Foldable keyboard made by Belkin is another decent one. I used HP branded one with my iPaq and it worked pretty well. The keyboard has dedicated number keys so if you need to enter lot of numbers, this keyboard would be better. The keys are rather small though.

davenicholls
06-22-2004, 08:45 AM
I'm a bit of a keyboard junkie. I had an original stowaway for my Jornada, and I currently own a Stowaway IR, a Targus IR, and a Pocketop.

I only use the Stowawy IR. I don't see any issues with lag. The lack of a number row does slow me down a bit, but not ebough to stop the keyboard being worthwhile. It's also become less of a problem as I've got used to the keyboard.

The Pocketop is just too small for me, I couldn't get used to the key spacing. Also, as has been reported by others, the keyboard tends to move around as you type on it, I think the little rubber pads are slightly too hard and slide rather than grip.

The Targus is ok, but bulkier than the Stowaway. It doesn't feel as good to use as the stowaway, but the biggest issue for me is the tiny little right hand shift key. As a left hander who almost, but not quite, touch types I found myself missing the right shift far too often.

Cheers

Dave