View Full Version : Outlook Express assistance - get files back

Gordo
06-20-2004, 07:33 PM
I lost my Primary C: drive the other day. I was able to remove the drive and copy all files off and on to another hard drive. My problem is that I have lost my Outlook Express email, and Address book. The disk drive was not corrupt, (some windows reinstall problems) so the files should exist. Now for the question:

Where would I look for the files, and how would I move them, access them on a new computer that has never had Outlook configured?

Thanks

Janak Parekh
06-20-2004, 09:57 PM
They're all in C:\Documents and Settings\{username}\... . The easiest way to do this is to search for *.DBX (which are your email folders) and *.WAB (which is your Address Book(s)). Note that you'll have to enable viewing hidden files in Windows Explorer (Tools => Folder Options => View) before Search will show the appropriate folders.

Once you find them... for the folders, Outlook Express has an import feature that will import another store - just point it to that directory and it'll copy that data over. For address book, go into the Address Book module and it has an import feature as well, although here you just point directly at the WAB file.

--janak

Gordo
06-21-2004, 01:46 AM
Thanks, I have done this with outlook, the .pst and .pab, but never with outlook express. This information will be a "god sent"
Thanks