View Full Version : Back up SD Card

lparker723
06-20-2004, 06:46 PM
I am looking for the "perfect" pocket PC back-up program that backs up the SD card in the ipaq 4135 also. :lol:

AggieJon
06-20-2004, 07:07 PM
My 2215 has a program that came installed in ROM called iPAQ Backup. Does the 4135 have this? It's capable of performing a really good backup and will save to the SD card.

If you want something that does more, I've heard Sprite Backup (http://www.spritesoftware.com/products/sprite_backup.html) is really good.

Zack Mahdavi
06-20-2004, 07:29 PM
Yes, iPaq Backup is included with your 4155. It's an older, renamed version of Sprite's Backup program. You can obtain a free upgrade to the newest version of Sprite Backup from their web site.

delfuhd
06-20-2004, 09:49 PM
I think he means backing up his SD card, not to his SD card..

Sorry, but the backup on the 2215 doesn't backup the sd card, you need a USB card read (which I greatly reccomend getting!). I don't know of any backup software that backsup the sd card. but as i said, if you get a card reader, you can backup the sd card super quick and easy that way...

AggieJon
06-20-2004, 10:55 PM
Oh yeah, I guess I read that wrong. :oops:

I also use a card reader to back up my SD card. You just copy all the files to the desktop. You can do the same thing with your USB connection by exploring the PPC, but USB takes a while. I sometimes back up the memory card over wifi, which is a lot faster than USB.

portnoy
06-21-2004, 02:20 AM
I don't know why anyone would want to back up a flash card TO the PPC. :/

I generally do back up my PPC to my SD card and then copy the contents of my SD card to my desktop computer using a card reader/writer however. That way I'm about as covered as I can be.

coppertrail
06-21-2004, 03:21 PM
I don't know why anyone would want to back up a flash card TO the PPC. :/

I generally do back up my PPC to my SD card and then copy the contents of my SD card to my desktop computer using a card reader/writer however. That way I'm about as covered as I can be.
Ditto that. I do a backup to my SD card daily using Sprite Standard, then I copy the contents of my SD card to my PC via ActiveSync once a week. Talk about disaster recovery planning . . . :D I also copy my sprite backups to my PC as well, just in case . . .

Sven Johannsen
06-21-2004, 04:16 PM
Actually Sprite Backup will backup your SD card to your SD card, if you want it to, and have the room. It will also back it up to a CF card if you have a dual slot device like a 2215, or to the desktop PC. These are features of the full version, but I don't think the stripped down version that comes with iPAQs has all that.

The best way to back up an SD card is, as has been suggested, to get a media card reader, and just copy the contents to your PC periodically.

You can do this with AS as well. Just open up the SD card in AS Explorer and copy all the files to a directory on the PC. Bit slower than the card reader option.

The advantage to using something like Sprite Backup is that you can schedule this to happen at some set time. You just need to remember to have your PPC connected to the PC at that time.

tanalasta
06-21-2004, 07:27 PM
Actually, a plain old card reader to copy every file from the storage card onto your PC will also work well :)

coppertrail
06-21-2004, 11:10 PM
Actually, a plain old card reader to copy every file from the storage card onto your PC will also work well :)You know, I've heard more and more folks say that the card readers are alot faster. I think I'm going to pick one up this week . . . :D

Mark_Venture
06-22-2004, 01:41 PM
Just my $.02...

I also backup my SD card to the PC via card reader... However, I do not do a copy or drag/drop.

I have WinRAR installed and just go into My Computer, right click on the icon for the SD card, and say "add to archive" then point it to a drive on the PC to create a compressed file containing the contents of the SD card. (This will work with WinZIP too.) :)