View Full Version : Cannot Browse Network

john.h
06-20-2004, 02:14 PM
Hi everyone,
I have setup my ipaq h5550 so it is able to connect wirelessly to the internet through my wireless router.
The only problem I have is that I am unable to browse the ipaq through windows explorer in "my network places". The other 2 pc's I have connected through the wireless router are listed in "my network places", but the ipaq is not, although the router shows that it is connected and as I said I can browse the internet on the ipaq.

Should I be able to browse/transfer/syncronise files between my pc and the ipaq wirelessly (through the network)? If so, how do I set this up?

I am able to do this through ms activesync, but not through the network.

Thanks.

OSUKid7
06-20-2004, 02:59 PM
I don't think you will be able to view your iPaq files from My Network Places. First of all, My Network Places only shows shared resources. Do you share any folders on your iPaq? I don't know of any way to do that.

To view files/transfer files on your iPaq, you have to syncronize it, and then open the Mobile Device folder in My Computer.

Vidge
07-01-2004, 01:36 AM
So is there a way to browse the computers from the iPaq? I don't seem to be able to do that on my 4155. I can sync over wifi and access the internet but I am unable to browse the network from the 4155. Any pointers would be appreciated.

john.h
07-01-2004, 03:10 AM
So is there a way to browse the computers from the iPaq? I don't seem to be able to do that on my 4155. I can sync over wifi and access the internet but I am unable to browse the network from the 4155. Any pointers would be appreciated.

Yes. You can browse computers on the network from your iPaq. Go to programs > File Explorer > down the bottom of the screen tap on "Open" and the Open dialogue box comes up. Where it says "Open path" leave the \\ (back slash) there and enter your computer name. Then tap on the OK button. You need to have already set up shared folders on the computers you want to browse for it to work.

Since asking my original question I found that I can browse the iPaq from Windows Explorer in my desktop PC (the only one I have ActiveSync installed on) But first you have to set up ActiveSync properly on the iPaq.

Open ActiveSync and make sure that it says "not connected". Tap on "Tools" (at the bottom of the screen) > Options and under the PC tab tap the Options button and then check: "Maintain connection" then tap ok. I have both "Use mobile schedule to sync with this PC" and "Sync with this PC during manual sync" checked as well. I have also set the "Mobile Schedule" (Tab) to "Every 5 minutes" on both options. Tap on the "ok" button in each screen to go back to the main ActiveSync screen and then tap on "Sync". It should say Connected near the top of the screen. Now you should be able to browse the iPaq from Windows Explorer on your desktop PC. You should find "Mobile Device" under "My Computer".

Good luck!

OSUKid7
07-01-2004, 04:06 AM
Since asking my original question I found that I can browse the iPaq from Windows Explorer in my desktop PC (the only one I have ActiveSync installed on) But first you have to set up ActiveSync properly on the iPaq.

Open ActiveSync and make sure that it says "not connected". Tap on "Tools" (at the bottom of the screen) > Options and under the PC tab tap the Options button and then check: "Maintain connection" then tap ok. I have both "Use mobile schedule to sync with this PC" and "Sync with this PC during manual sync" checked as well. I have also set the "Mobile Schedule" (Tab) to "Every 5 minutes" on both options. Tap on the "ok" button in each screen to go back to the main ActiveSync screen and then tap on "Sync". It should say Connected near the top of the screen. Now you should be able to browse the iPaq from Windows Explorer on your desktop PC. You should find "Mobile Device" under "My Computer".Yeah, that's what I meant byTo view files/transfer files on your iPaq, you have to syncronize it, and then open the Mobile Device folder in My Computer.

john.h
07-01-2004, 11:03 AM

Open ActiveSync and make sure that it says "not connected". Tap on "Tools" (at the bottom of the screen) > Options and under the PC tab tap the Options button and then check: "Maintain connection" then tap ok. I have both "Use mobile schedule to sync with this PC" and "Sync with this PC during manual sync" checked as well. I have also set the "Mobile Schedule" (Tab) to "Every 5 minutes" on both options. Tap on the "ok" button in each screen to go back to the main ActiveSync screen and then tap on "Sync". It should say Connected near the top of the screen. Now you should be able to browse the iPaq from Windows Explorer on your desktop PC. You should find "Mobile Device" under "My Computer".Yeah, that's what I meant byTo view files/transfer files on your iPaq, you have to syncronize it, and then open the Mobile Device folder in My Computer.

Sorry OSUKid7. I either didn't read your post properly or didn't quite understand it :oops:. Thanks for your help! :-)

John.

john.h
07-01-2004, 11:12 AM
I don't think you will be able to view your iPaq files from My Network Places. First of all, My Network Places only shows shared resources. Do you share any folders on your iPaq? I don't know of any way to do that.

To view files/transfer files on your iPaq, you have to syncronize it, and then open the Mobile Device folder in My Computer.

OSUKid7, actually you are connecting to the iPaq (in My Computer) and are able to browse it (but only when ActiveSync on the iPaq says connected). You are not just looking at the syncronised files on your PC. The files/folders you can see are real time.

OSUKid7
07-01-2004, 02:33 PM
Yeah, I meant that you would stay connected via ActiveSync first. Otherwise you'll just get a blank window/folder. Anyway, glad you got it working.

cdcooker
07-09-2004, 10:31 PM
Yes. You can browse computers on the network from your iPaq. Go to programs > File Explorer > down the bottom of the screen tap on "Open" and the Open dialogue box comes up. Where it says "Open path" leave the \\ (back slash) there and enter your computer name. Then tap on the OK button. You need to have already set up shared folders on the computers you want to browse for it to work.

I did exactly the same thing your describe in here. But I have no luck to connect to my desktop computer's shared folders. There is a pop up message on my Axim X30 saying "In order to connect to your work network you will need to configure a PN connection". I can broswe the internet from my Axim thru wifi though. But I really want to browse files on my local machine thru Axim. Can you tell me what is the tricks that I might overlook? Any specially settings on my desktop that I have to be carefull. I already uncheck the firewall on my desktop.

Thanks in advance.