View Full Version : News Clips

DiGiTYZED
06-20-2004, 08:57 AM
I want to get the morning (or last night) news on my PPC for viewing while waiting and riding train to work. Preferably video (I guess text would be okay). Offline viewing. Basically a virtual news paper or morning newscast recorded on my PPC.

Is there a service, software or method remotely close to making this possible???

TIA

P.S. - I'm not taking about Journal Bar nor browsing CNN & ESPN websites in the morning and saving them locally to PPC.

tanalasta
06-20-2004, 10:02 AM
I don't know about anything as sophisticated as video but Avantgo has a few news channels that you can sync - depending on what area you're with.

lonesniper
06-20-2004, 11:37 AM
Avangto is an option for you, I stopped using it about a year ago as it was taking ages to load in PIE and the content was not as good at it used to be.

Now I use RSSViewer on my PPC. It is not perfect as you only normally see a short amount to text relating to the story. But it is better at getting the headlines that I want.

You could also try www.pocketpcmedia.com for video headlines, but you would have to work out a way of downloading their streaming content and then coping to your PPC or memory card.

Another option which I have never used and could be wrong about is "Sync and Go (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/plus/dme/portabledevices.asp)" from the Media Player Plus pack. I think that program (with a subcription fee) automatically syncs video news overnight from MSNBC.

Hope that helps.

Colin

PS. Oh I just thought of another option. If you have a TV card and get Snapstream (http://www.snapstream.com) you can program it to record the news, say CNN Headline news just before you go to work and then set the program to save to a memory card which you then just stick in your PPC. That sounds like the best idea. Wonder if I can patent it?? :)[/url]

OSUKid7
06-20-2004, 02:56 PM
Plus! Sync & Go in Plus! Digital Media Edition can sync audio/video news. It has several news items included in the database of possible items to sync. A few sources I remember are MSNBC, NPR, NBC nightly news. You may be able to find a deal on it for $10 or so.

DiGiTYZED
06-21-2004, 06:27 PM
THX alot ppl. truly helpful. will try all ya'll suggestions.

Thx again