View Full Version : Connecting Pocket PC from hotels

Ollie03031
06-16-2004, 12:31 PM
I travel almost every week. I usually carry an iPAQ 2210, a socket CF ethernet card, a Socket CF modem card and an Ambicom CF WiFi card. Most of the hotels I stay at have free WiFi or ethernet in the rooms. I have yet to be able to take advantage of these services. The Pocket PC does not get assigned an IP address so even though the comm arrows show a solid connection I can't get to any servers.
From what I can tell all of these services require you to go into Internet Explorer and accept the rules of the service. If I were to use a laptop I would automically see the rules displayed and after accepting the laptop is assigned an IP address and everything works fine. With just a Pocket PC I can't get the rules and the acceptance tab to display so no IP address is assigned.
At Penara Bread which has free WiFi if you disable fit to screen in IE you can get it to work, but I have failed to get it to work from any hotel. Also Boston's Logan airport has free WiFi which also does not seem to work with a Pocket PC. Has anyone found the secret to getting connected from a hotel room with either WiFi or ehternet?
Thanks

c38b2
06-16-2004, 01:34 PM
Hmm... I thought that you must already have an IP address for them to send you an acceptance page. From my experience (1 hotel mind you) I got an IP address but I couldn't access anything until I accepted the TOS. To do this, I had to connect to the primary gateway. I can get the gateway IP on a laptop, but after a little research I can't figure out how to do it on a PPC... :?

Steven Cedrone
06-16-2004, 02:22 PM
The last time I had problems like this, I disabled fit to screen in PIE, I was then able to scroll around the screen to find the "I Agree" button (I also changed font size to samllest). Once done, change everything back...

Good luck!

Steve

Steven Cedrone
06-16-2004, 02:33 PM
The only thing that may be a problem is if the Hotel uses a pop up or opens another page for the agreement (you may want to bring MultiIE or similar with you next time)...

Just a thought...

Steve

Underwater Mike
06-19-2004, 09:38 PM
I had the same problem recently at three different hotels on the same trip. Disabling the fit-to-screen didn't work and there was no pop-up window (I know because I also lugged along my notebook and was able to use that). I think that each of the T&C pages might have been using javascript, because they all told me that my browser was not compatible.

If you discover a solution, please let us know.

Ollie03031
06-21-2004, 12:57 PM
On another Wireless forum they suggested NetFront from Access. It supports Java and has worked for others. I am going to try it the next time I travel to a hotel with ehternet or Wireless access.
Also there was a presentation by the Boston PocketPC group on the subject. I recieved an eamil that said they were going to post it on the web site. I have not checked yet for the presentation but will.

Ollie03031
06-21-2004, 01:13 PM
Boston Pocket PC web site with the presentation.
http://www.bostonpocketpc.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=2392&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0

batuckan1
07-20-2004, 03:48 AM
find out who the hotel uses as a backbone, similar to what kinko's and starbucks use, (TMobile)

then you will have to point the ssid to tmobile and login using your userid and password. You can do this on your PPC or your laptop. I know I've done this before..

incidentally, this is pretty cool. I have replying through kinko's, starbucks and borders wifi access points..

the first month is $20 but I think it goes up after that..

I am only doing this cuz I am on vacation and needed to check mail.
but its still pretty cool. <g>

cya
mike