View Full Version : Visual CE for $19.99!! Should I Go For It?

MLO
06-14-2004, 11:22 PM
I'm trying to get ahold of a well featured database software application for under $20, and I came across this price cut (http://www.syware.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=WINCE). According to Syware, the normal price is $79.

I've looked at a lot of other freeware and lower price options (Database on the Run, XSDesigner and XSForms, EasyDB and other), but some option that I need always seems to be missing. I'm trying to keep track of a bunch of different variables that may or may not effect my mood, so I need a form that I can add different types of controls to...add different fields to an existing database if need be, and either synchronize with Access on the desktop or export it to some format that can be opened with Access on the desktop.

I also need something easy to pick up as I have only a rudimentary understanding of Access.

I know that SprintDB is mentioned a lot on here, but is Visual CE just as good? Should I jump at the price and get it?

Ripper014
06-15-2004, 12:05 AM
VisualCE is awesome... easy to use and can be made into some very attractive forms....

Sven Johannsen
06-15-2004, 04:06 PM
Take a look at the comparison chart at http://www.syware.com/prodlib/win_ce/vce/com_chrt.htm. One specific item missing in the lite version is Access compatibility. Another significant ommision in the lite version is "Ability to use data residing on flashcards".

I didn't think $20 was a special for the lite version BTW. Not saying VisualCE isn't wonderful, but I think most folks that are going to be doing DB work/developement need to consider the personal edition, which is $130. In that case, SprintDB has a significant edge.

It is a bit hard to help without a complete list of what you think you need. The 'rudimentary understanding of Access' concerns me a bit. Is that Access specifically, or DB developement in general. VisualCE and SprintDB and even HanDBase, can get very complex, if you get past making spreadsheet-like tables and basic forms. Just a comment that with capability come complexity.

MLO
06-15-2004, 10:35 PM
I re-read the chart and the help file this morning. The help file is clearer...you can't export databases that you've created on the Pocket PC at all.

I'm not going to be a power user of Access...at least I don't intend to be. My goal is to be able to chart a series of variables to see if they effect my mood in a predictable fashion.