View Full Version : Proporta Screen Protector Review

vike99
06-12-2004, 02:46 AM
The Future is Clear: Proporta's Deluxe Screen Protector

A Review by vike99
Proporta, manufacturer of a multitude of unique PDA cases and other accessories has now joined the screen protection field. Their new Deluxe Screen Protector has the honour of competing with others from Boxwave, G2, Brando and Writeshield. That is some hefty competition! However, after just 15 minutes of using this product, I know, I will never buy any other screen protector for my iPaq!

One of the nice things about the protectors is that they are forgiving. I managed to get a blob of lint under the screen on my first application. I simply removed the protector, rinsed it in water, then reapplied. That is right, this is a screen protector that you can take off, wash, and reapply – which is why you don’t buy a pack of 10, but rather just 1. It’s all you will ever need.

This protector cut down the screen glare by a very sizeable amount, however it did not drastically decrease the brightness of my screen (even when set to the lowest level).

In addition to the protection that the product provides, and the fact that it dramatically reduces glare, it also improves stylus traction across the screen. No longer will you feel like you are dragging your stylus across a piece of plastic – those days are over. With this product it will feel much more like writing on paper (you remember what that feels like, don’t you?).

There aren’t many downsides to this product. One would be that for my PDA (iPaq 4150) the screen protector was a bit short. It may not be the case on all models, but for me, there was about 1/8th of an inch all around that was left exposed. While this is not a huge problem, it can be annoying when dragging the stylus to the edge of the screen, and then feeling it “fall off” of the protector.

Overall, this product, at £ 5.95, provides you with the protection that your PDA deserves, and a whole lot more. Visit Proporta to see if your model has a matching screen protector.

Pros:
Excellent, long lasting protection for your screen
Non-Glare
Easy to remove - non "tacky" adhesive
Washable and reusable
Smooth writing surface
Cons:
Not a perfect fit on my iPaq

Links

Proporta:
http://www.proporta.com

Product link: http://secure.proporta.com/proporta/F02/PPF02P05.php?t_id=727&t_mode=des

Pony99CA
06-12-2004, 08:51 AM
You know, you don't have to post this review at every Pocket PC site. I saw the same review at Dave's iPAQ (http://davesipaq.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3025), and it was your first post at both places. You also E-mailed the pocketnow news team about posting it there, too, so I'm starting to think you're a spammer.

I don't have a problem with the review; it's OK, although it could use photos to show what you get and how the screen protector looks in place. I just think that you should post it one place (preferably on your own Web site) and post links to it (usually in a site's Announcements forum). That's what the Web is about.

Steve

milkman dan
06-12-2004, 10:46 AM
you have to be joking. You think anyone will fall for that SPAM? I guess you have to give the guy credit that he actualy listed a con :roll:
Since emailing a spammer to ask them to stop never acomplishes anything aside from 200 junk emails a day, I am going to hope a mod moves this to the "useless spam we don't care about" forum.

P.S. ROFL.... "The Future is Clear: Proporta's Deluxe Screen Protector" ... way to be inconspicuous... I am supprised we even cought on :roll:

Pony99CA
06-12-2004, 11:29 AM
you have to be joking. You think anyone will fall for that SPAM? I guess you have to give the guy credit that he actualy listed a con :roll:
Since emailing a spammer to ask them to stop never acomplishes anything aside from 200 junk emails a day, I am going to hope a mod moves this to the "useless spam we don't care about" forum.
Proporta is a real company with a good track record, so I doubt they'd spam.

Actually, I'm more inclined to believe that the guy is a newbie than a real spammer. I mean, he did do something useful by writing a review. :lol: I also don't see any affiliate link type of thing in the URL he posted. I suspect that he got some free screen protectors if he'd write a review about them and post it.

I've gotten similar offers. A company I hadn't previously heard of asked me if I was interested in reviewing some of their laser products. As my site deals with Pocket PCs, I said that I'd only review a product that was related to Pocket PCs, so I chose the Infiniter XP II (http://review.svpocketpc.com/infiniterxp2/InfiniterXP2.html). I did the review and posted it on my Web site.

I also announced the review on other Pocket PC sites (in their Announcements sections, of course), but provided a link to my site. Plus, I don't post new threads for every update to my site. If I've posted an update notice in the past, I just put a new post in that thread. In addition, I don't announce every little change to my site, only major changes. Even then, I'll often batch updates and mention several changes in one post. You can see how I do things in the "Silicon Valley Pocket PC Thoughts" thread (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11559).

My feeling is that most of us here are serious hobbyists and want to get as much information as we can about our Pocket PCs. That's why I don't mind ads here or in Pocket PC Magazine -- they let me know about things I might not have heard about.

Given that, I don't have a problem with posting about a review of a new product. It's the way this is being done that bothers me.

Steve

milkman dan
06-13-2004, 02:40 AM
I dunno, the entire thing reads like a lame infomercial, with scarce little actual review of the product.

I know, I will never buy any other screen protector for my iPaq!

That is right, this is a screen protector that you can take off, wash, and reapply

It’s all you will ever need

I guess it could be a newbie writing a review, but it honestly sounts more like someone promoting a product. I really really really really really hate spam, so please forgive me for my rather negative outlook on this review. BTW, that stylus looks to be about the coolest stylus I have ever seen!

helloworld
06-13-2004, 05:57 AM
I might not agree with the review 100%, I think that we shouldn't be too upset about it, or the fact that it might be on multiple sites.

I am new to the PPC world, and really don't have time to read all the news sites, and usually just check out PPCThoughts a few times a week, so I am not too bothered that a review might appear on several sites.

I use G2 screen protectors personally (never tried Proporta) but I think regardless of the particular product (everything from screen protection to high end PDA's) if there weren't people out there taking time to write these reviews, a lot of us would probably buy things that we might regret.

Anyway, not sure if I am going to switch protectors or anything like that, but I still would like to thank the author for the review, which is a bit biased maybe, but does not seem quite like a shameless company advertisement either.

Just my 2 cents...

Pony99CA
06-13-2004, 06:24 AM
I dunno, the entire thing reads like a lame infomercial, with scarce little actual review of the product.

I know, I will never buy any other screen protector for my iPaq!

That is right, this is a screen protector that you can take off, wash, and reapply

It’s all you will ever need

I guess it could be a newbie writing a review, but it honestly sounts more like someone promoting a product.
Well, if my theory about Vike getting a free product to write the review is correct, he might write a glowing review to get free product in the future.

As I said, Proporta seems to be a well-respected company, and I doubt they would intentionally condone something like this.

I really really really really really hate spam, so please forgive me for my rather negative outlook on this review.
I hate spam, too, which is why I wrote the initial post in the thread. If the guy is a newbie, I wanted to let him know of a more appropriate way to do things.

We'll see if Vike responds to this thread. If he does, it will show he's interested in doing real reviews. If not, he's probably just a board spammer.

BTW, that stylus looks to be about the coolest stylus I have ever seen!
What stylus is that? I saw the Pivot on the home page, but the one I saw was for a Palm.

Steve

Pony99CA
06-13-2004, 06:36 AM
I might not agree with the review 100%, I think that we shouldn't be too upset about it, or the fact that it might be on multiple sites.

I am new to the PPC world, and really don't have time to read all the news sites, and usually just check out PPCThoughts a few times a week, so I am not too bothered that a review might appear on several sites.
I understand about not having time to visit every news site. That's why I said there's no problem posting a link to one site with the review (preferably the author's Web site). That way, anybody interested in reading it only has to click the link to do so.

However, posting a somewhat lengthy piece on several sites isn't a good idea. The Web masters running these sites pay for disk space and bandwidth. That's why the author should post the review at his own site and just post links on the news sites.

Steve

milkman dan
06-14-2004, 10:12 AM
What stylus is that? I saw the Pivot on the home page, but the one I saw was for a Palm.

I was refering to the crazy lazerpointer stylus you reviewed :D I used to work in a computer store that had a once a week 5 minuit show on a local tv station, and used to get soo many free parts (mainly ram, cpu's and videocards) just for showing a small review of them on the show :D

Pony99CA
06-14-2004, 10:57 AM
I was refering to the crazy lazerpointer stylus you reviewed :D
Oh yeah, I had forgotten that I'd mentioned that. :oops: It is pretty cool, and I carry it with me every day.

Steve

milkman dan
06-14-2004, 11:57 AM
at first I thought it could actually fit in a stylus slot... that would have been nice

vike99
06-14-2004, 05:39 PM
Hello, Sorry for my delay in replying. This has become a much longer thread than I imagined. I am somewhat new to writing reviews, but at the same time this is not my first such review.

In the past, I have sent my articles/reviews to several sites / webmasters and often never had it published. That is what I was expecting again in this situation, which is why it was posted to a forum and not published in the reviews section.

The article was picked up by a few other sites out there, and I have already turned down a few more who have expressed interest in the email I sent them, so it should not be appearing anywhere else, however links to this site might. I have also worked out a few exclusive agreements with a few webmasters about future articles.

Lastly, I want to assure you that I do not work for proporta. I was sent some free samples of their products, which I am going to be donating to a few other smaller sites to give away as prizes. I am so far very happy with their screen protector and will be purchasing some for my personal use.

Please if you have any comments or questions, feel free to email me at [email protected]

My apologies to anyone who was annoyed at this article being over posted! All the best,

milkman dan
06-14-2004, 11:39 PM
it lives! haha, no annoyances really, just a missunderstanding. Some advice on writing reviews, try to make it sounds more like a page of review as opposed to a page of worship, and add some pics :D

vike99
06-15-2004, 12:55 AM
Here is a picture: note it is from the Proporta website. I will post some pictures I took on my own soon as well. http://secure.proporta.com/proporta/F03/i/screen_prot_web.jpg