View Full Version : Help: 2210 doesn't fully turn off and drains the battery

stevehiner
06-10-2004, 06:44 PM
Ever since I got my 2210 almost a year ago there are times that I turn it off but the screen doesn't fully turn off. The screen will fade out almost entirely and typically about half of it will go totally blank, the other half will show every other line of the last app I was running. It's as though the screen doeesn't fully shut down. Up until now I've just turned the unit back on and off and the screen will go totally blank.

This morning I got to the office to find out my battery is drained. I can only assume it's because I turned the 2210 on for a couple minutes late last night and, since it was dark, I didn't noticed that the screen didn't fully turn off so it drained the battery.

I've never verified that this issue causes battery drain but this is the 3rd time my 2210 has drained the batter when I'm not using it. I can only assume it's caused by the screen issue.

I'm preparing to call HP today so I can get it back to them before the warranty runs out. I just wanted to find out if anyone else has had a similar problem with their 2210/2215.

milkman dan
06-10-2004, 08:55 PM
ahhh, if that happened to me I would be sending that unit right back and getting a new one before the warranty expires!

Steven Cedrone
06-10-2004, 09:13 PM
I would return it as well! That is not the way your device should work!

Steve

Ripper014
06-11-2004, 01:10 AM
There is an function that only turns off the backlight... this is one of the reasons I use a software solution to turn off my ppc as well as to reset it. The only time that I don't is when the unit locks up.. which forces me to do a manual soft reset.

Check out this utility... it may help resolve your issues. But if you are convinced it is not something you are doing I would make the effort to have Hp look at it.

http://www.pocketpcfreewares.com/en/index.php?soft=833

Kowalski
06-12-2004, 06:45 PM
this is definately a hardware malfunction. i dont think that even a hardware reset will solve the problem

stevehiner
06-12-2004, 08:58 PM
I called HP after I posted that and they are going to take it back for repair. They even shipped me a box to send it back in.

I found myself briefly thinking I could just live with the problem rather than risk having HP send me a different iPAQ. I guess I have some bizaar emotional attachment to my PocketPC - like it's somehow different than every other 2210/15 on the planet. Am I alone in thinking of my PPC more like a pet than a device?

stevehiner
06-16-2004, 06:24 PM
Wow. I'm quite impressed with HP's support (with one caveat).

I called them last Thursday.

Friday I got a shipping box in the mail with a return label.

I shipped the iPAQ Monday (didn't want to lose a couple days by shipping it over the weekend)

It arrived at HP's service center Tuesday.

I got it back this morning (Wednesday).

That's great service! :D

Now for the caveat. They forgot to put my battery back in when they shipped it. 8O :cry: Talk about a let down. Now I've got to wait at least until tomorrow to get the battery back so I don't even know if they really fixed the problem. According to the sheet they sent with it all they did was reflash the ROM. It does say something about an OS upgrade though - I'll post again if it turns out they put WM2k3 SE on it but I'm not getting my hopes up.

stevehiner
06-17-2004, 01:11 AM
After fixing (presumably) my iPAQ and losing my battery what do you think HP does to rectify the problem?

They are sending me a new battery and told me it will take 3 to 5 business days to arrive.

This royally sucks. I'm going to have to go without my iPAQ until at least next Monday, maybe as late as next Thursday to find out if the problem was fixed. If it still has the same problem I'm going to be fuming. :twisted:

I know there probably isn't anyone reading this thread anymore but I've gotta rant and rave somewhere.

Steven Cedrone
06-17-2004, 01:18 PM
After fixing (presumably) my iPAQ and losing my battery what do you think HP does to rectify the problem?

They are sending me a new battery and told me it will take 3 to 5 business days to arrive.

This royally sucks. I'm going to have to go without my iPAQ until at least next Monday, maybe as late as next Thursday to find out if the problem was fixed. If it still has the same problem I'm going to be fuming. :twisted:

I know there probably isn't anyone reading this thread anymore but I've gotta rant and rave somewhere.

You could always go out and buy a battery to test with. Never hurts to have a spare anyway...

Just a thought! :wink:

Steve

Oh, and someone always reads the posts here!

stevehiner
06-17-2004, 05:24 PM
You could always go out and buy a battery to test with. Never hurts to have a spare anyway...

The thought has certainly crossed my mind. The problem is that I've had the iPAQ for nearly a year and never once have I thought it would be nice to have a second battery.

Plus, I really hate to go out and spend $40 or $50 to workaround HP mistake and their seeming inability to correct the error promptly. Maybe if I'm grumpy :evil: enough about it my wife will buy one for me for Father's day. :D

stevehiner
06-18-2004, 06:09 PM
UPS just dropped off a new extended battery. That was a nice way for HP to appologize for their mistake.

Unfortunately it means I'm going to have to go out and buy a battery afterall since my iPAQ won't fit in my case or cradle with this brick on the back. It'll be nice to have on long plane rides I suppose.

As a followup to one of my earlier posts. The OS upgrade is their 1.1 version ROM, not WM2k3SE :( If they had upgraded it to WM2k3SE I'd be bouncing off the walls happy right now. :alfdance: :clap: