View Full Version : Dumping the Tungsten|E

serpico
06-10-2004, 06:34 AM
After being a palmuser since the palmpilot days, I've had enough. This last model has never worked fine on any xp, mac or linux box. I've read the usb cable pda's are to blame, cradles are better. I have had experience with others as well, so I know it's not me.

I tried WindowsCE back in the day once when I used to own a Philips Nino 300. It was cool, but I think you guys know how first generation that thing was. As you guessed, I didn't keep it long and went back to palmos, through handspring and palm devices. I even tried to give it up for awhile and used my iPod only to bring my calendar and contacts, but missed the input process and installing third party apps.

So, my question to you is where do I start to get this bad taste out of my mouth for WindowsCE ? I gotta tell you, I hated that memory problem with the old Philips Nino, I never had that problem with palm pda's. Please, point me in the right direction to at least some good wireless and non-wireless pocketpc's that I can research and read. I would love to sell this Tungsten|E quick, I need something reliable and functional.

How big is the PocketPC community anyhow? My friends and co-workers are split in both camps. Funny thing is that all palmusers I know are having hotsync issues now. Weird.

Thanks guys in advance.

fgarcia10
06-11-2004, 04:55 AM
How big is the PocketPC community anyhow?
Thanks guys in advance.

Quite big I must say. The lack of reply to your post is due to the amount of discussions about witch one is better. I have only used the Samsung i500 "smartphone" on the Palm side and I did like it, but it lacked some functions that I need to do my job, therefore I came back to use a pocket pc.

I just ordered the new Dell, I have seen a few different reviews and they are mostly positive, scoring the unit 8 or 9 out of 10. Right now I have no reazon to ever go back to the Palm camp.

serpico
06-11-2004, 05:39 AM
Well, I put the Palm on ebay this morning before going into work. I came home tonight and hard reset the Palm, cleaned it up and backed up my data. I could only sync it once tonight after so many attempts with the desktop software and Outlook2003. So that was it.

I'm very curious about the Dell X30 and the specs in regards to size is very similar to the Tungsten|E even with the extra features like Bluetooth and WiFi. I guess this is the newest and the fastest today, so it's popular.

I didn't want to give the impression that I wanted to compare Palm and PPC devices, more of where should someone new to the community get their info, research, and read other user's opinion's. I don't find alot of sites helping switchers on the web, so I asked here in hopes to make a decision.

Thanks for the reply.

mara6
06-11-2004, 04:28 PM
I think you'll like the new Windows Mobile 2003 SE Operating System, much better than WindowsCE. I would recomend that if you buy the X30 (which you should buy) that you join www.aximsite.com. It offers much help and support for the Axim series. 8)

serpico
06-12-2004, 04:13 AM
Today I went out after work (told wife I had to work!) to check out the PocketPC's at a big local retail shop. I wanted to test out the OS and see for myself where the PocketPC has gone from my last experience.

Wow! When I saw those Toshiba E400's and HP 1900 and 4100 series, I couldn't believe the size. Thinner than my Tungsten|E and lighter and running Windows! I can't believe it still.

I fell in love with the HP4150, wireless and all, but the price $599 CDN was too much considering the Dell sells for $422 CDN fully loaded with a new cpu and OS.

But the look and feel was amazing of the HP4150. The size and all the technology packed in there. I lucked out with a very good store rep that showed me alot and even surfed PIE wirelessly in the store. 400MHz was fast on this device, everything loaded very similar to the desktop IE. He showed me MSN Messenger and of course the OS envirnoment.

There was a customer walking by and he moved from Toronto and was explaining all the hotspots in Vancouver catching up to Toronto. He showed his HP1945 right out of his pocket and told me he loved it and would never go back to Palm. We both surfed on the HP4150 in the store and were both amazed. I made new ppc friends!

So now I'm stuck. I love the look of the HP but the X30 is cheaper, newer and faster. Many don't like the look of the Dell, but I can't experience it since I need to buy online first. I'm going to read all the specs b/w both of them tonight and make a decision.

My question is:
For X30 users and HP4150 users, which device should I get? What are the differences that you love about your device? Will HP offer a free upgrade to 2003SE for this model or would I be lost already buying old technology?

I'm new to this community, so I'm not sure if new OS versions are so different that current hardware gets fazed out quickly. Palm's seem to go on forever since they rarely change their OS. Thanks guys.

serpico
06-18-2004, 03:08 PM
So another update:
Dell mixed up my order again and this time I just cancelled it. Made sure no charges against my card and went out and picked up the hp4150. It's a great device and I did have an issue with Outlook 2003, but after installing it over again, it worked fine with activesync.

This device is so small and lighter than the Palm I used to own. I can just feel the power and advanced features in this thing just by turning it on! I didn't get alot of time to play with it last night, but today and my next week of holidays, I'm on this like white on rice, man. 8)

Fishie
06-18-2004, 04:53 PM
So another update:
Dell mixed up my order again and this time I just cancelled it. Made sure no charges against my card and went out and picked up the hp4150. It's a great device and I did have an issue with Outlook 2003, but after installing it over again, it worked fine with activesync.

This device is so small and lighter than the Palm I used to own. I can just feel the power and advanced features in this thing just by turning it on! I didn't get alot of time to play with it last night, but today and my next week of holidays, I'm on this like white on rice, man. 8)

Congratulations.
Welcome to the darkside :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

serpico
06-18-2004, 09:01 PM
Thanks... I think! 8O

I'm having a problem right now with a screen. When I click iPaq wireless, I used to get the screen with the green and amber icons for bluetooth and wifi. But now I don't, I just get the title of the program but the screen is the Today background still. Any thoughts? Should a soft reset fix this? Will I lose any data? Thanks.

Janak Parekh
06-18-2004, 09:09 PM
I'm having a problem right now with a screen. When I click iPaq wireless, I used to get the screen with the green and amber icons for bluetooth and wifi. But now I don't, I just get the title of the program but the screen is the Today background still. Any thoughts? Should a soft reset fix this? Will I lose any data? Thanks.
Sounds like the program has hung up. Go ahead and do a soft-reset - you shouldn't lose any data (although it's worth mentioning that you should sync your device at reasonable intervals, just in case!)

Alternatively, you can go into Running Programs (under Memory) or use iTask to try and "kill" the process... not sure how well it'll work for the iPAQ Wireless applet.

--janak

serpico
06-19-2004, 02:17 AM
thanks, going into settings >memory I could kill or end the tasks. This brought up an error message asking me to kill the hung app. It's working again... found 4 open networks here at work! Wow, I can surf while in the washroom! This is amazing. Now I need how to learn all this wifi stuff! 8O

Jonathon Watkins
06-19-2004, 11:00 AM
Wow, I can surf while in the washroom! This is amazing. Now I need how to learn all this wifi stuff! 8O

:lol: Very good. Glad to see it's working out for you. :D

serpico
06-19-2004, 04:00 PM
Too bad I can't surf in my own washroom at home, though. I have an Apple Airport base station connected to a SNC wired router and PIE and Messenger refuse to connect.

I'm very confused. When I go to the Network Card section and see all available networks or unavailable, I see mine and it's status changes from Available to Connected and back to Unavailable at times. I see my neighbors linksys network, but can't connect. At one time it said connected.

I did experience a successful connection at work on one of the 4 open networks I found. So I know how it's supposed to work. Any auggestions or experiences with the Airport station?

Janak Parekh
06-19-2004, 07:26 PM
I did experience a successful connection at work on one of the 4 open networks I found. So I know how it's supposed to work. Any auggestions or experiences with the Airport station?
I replied to your other post - give it a shot and see what happens...

--janak