View Full Version : IPAQ 5455 Sync Plug going Bad

drbog
06-09-2004, 03:46 PM
Hi All-
I have had my 5455 for a little over a year. It has been getting tougher and tougher to get it to sync using the cradle (doesn't work any more) and a USB cable. I have to wiggle it, bend it , etc. to get it sync up. I think that the contacts are going bad.

Has anyone else had this trouble?

I called HP and learned that it would cost almost $300 to get the system board replaced! And it would take at least 2 weeks.

Does anybody have any other advice?

Ralph

0X

davwil
06-09-2004, 03:54 PM
If you where in the UK you could go to ipaqrepair.co.uk, the could swap out your switch board for £62 or a 100 bucks...

Cause that's exactly where my 5550 is at the moment.

Cheers David

drbog
06-09-2004, 03:57 PM
So you had the same trouble ? No other work arounds or cheaper solutions than replacing the system board??

Qman
06-09-2004, 04:32 PM
Yea, if you're into doing it yourself you can order the part from:
iPAQ Repair.com: http://www.ipaqrepair.com/ipaqpartscenter.html

HTH
Qman...

Pony99CA
06-09-2004, 04:38 PM
So you had the same trouble ? No other work arounds or cheaper solutions than replacing the system board??
Check my Web site's Service and Upgrade section (http://links.svpocketpc.com#LINKS_SERVICE) and call the companies there for estimates.

Steve

disconnected
06-09-2004, 05:45 PM
My 5555 has sort of the same problem, except it's less with the synch part than with the power part. I usually synch with WiFi anyway, but I have a synch and charge cable to use with my laptop while travelling. It synchs ok, but doesn't charge any more. I have a separate A/C plug with USB connection; the synch/charge cable can plug into that, but it no longer works either. I have several other auto adapters and A/C cords, and half of them no longer work, or will only work with much jiggling. It's not too bad at home, because once in place, the PPC sits still and usually keeps the connection, but in the car (where I need it for GPS use), the connector keeps getting loose, and I end up running down the battery.

I have no solution, but I'm kind of hoping it's enough of a problem to justify using my CompUSA warranty when the new models come out.

drbog
06-09-2004, 05:54 PM
PDASmart says that they will fix the problem for $60 -- which sounds like a great deal to me. They also say that they can turn around my unit in a day.

Has anybody dealt with them before?

http://www.pdasmart.com

Qman
06-09-2004, 06:16 PM
PDASmart and iPAQ Repair are one and the same!

<look>
News: (07/09/2003) PDASmart.com continues to grow! PDASmart.com has taken over the iPaq repair and upgrade operations of LinearLogix, Inc. of Houston, Texas. LinearLogix has long been a valuable support center for iPaq owners looking for memory upgrades or out-of-warranty repairs. As part of the acquisition, the iPaqUpgrade.com website operated by LinearLogix will now point towards the iPaqRepair.com site. The PDASmart.com team welcomes all of the current LinearLogix/iPaqUpgrade.com customers and we look forward to being of service to you. There is certainly no question now, iPaqRepair.com is the only logical choice for repairs and upgrades to your HP/Compaq iPaq PocketPC!

BTW Yes I've used them, great service! :wink: