View Full Version : ... a blank white screen on my ASUS MyPal A620 ...

motasim
06-09-2004, 02:24 PM
Hi all,

My name is Motasim Selej and I live in Jordan. I recently purchased the ASUS MyPal A620 Pocket PC from the United States with the aid of a relative of mine living there. Now, I faced a problem that I hope you can help me in.

When I turn my Pocket PC on from the stand-by mode, the screen goes completely white and nothing appears on it. If I tap with the stylus on the screen I hear the normal sounds as if it is functioning normally, but nothing appears on screen. I believe that I accidentally deleted a certain file that I shouldn't have from the start-up folder in the Windows folder in my Pocket PC. Could you please help me in this matter?

Yours,
Motasim Selej

Pony99CA
06-09-2004, 04:32 PM
My name is Motasim Selej and I live in Jordan. I recently purchased the ASUS MyPal A620 Pocket PC from the United States with the aid of a relative of mine living there. Now, I faced a problem that I hope you can help me in.

When I turn my Pocket PC on from the stand-by mode, the screen goes completely white and nothing appears on it. If I tap with the stylus on the screen I hear the normal sounds as if it is functioning normally, but nothing appears on screen. I believe that I accidentally deleted a certain file that I shouldn't have from the start-up folder in the Windows folder in my Pocket PC. Could you please help me in this matter?
If you did delete a critical file, you'll have to hard reset your Pocket PC. You'll probably have to read the manual to find out how to do it.

Once you find out, post the process in this thread (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=25724) for others to see.

Steve

mara6
06-09-2004, 04:33 PM
You've probably already tried this, but have you done a soft-reset? :?

powder2000
06-09-2004, 04:34 PM
You may have to hard reset your ppc. Refer to your manual for the specific steps. These startup files will be restored once to start up the device after the hard reset. If the problem is not solved, you may have a corrupt unit.

motasim
06-12-2004, 06:45 AM
... Thanks all, I hope that a hard reset will work since I already tried a soft reset and it didn't ... Now, I have to learn how to do a hard reset since nothing is there in the manual and there is no access point as for Toshiba pocket PCs for such a reset. Again, thanks for your help ...

rhmorrison
06-12-2004, 09:31 AM
If you press "Contacts" and press the "Scroll" lever right-down at the same time, then press Reset, then release Reset but keep Contacts and Scroll Push for some seconds!) you'll get a diagnostic Menu of ASUS, driven by asOS. After doin some tests the mypal reboots and asks you to flash some file it found ASUSxyz.SAV. No matter if you say yes to this recovery, your data is lost! I assume this mode prevents to "brick" the ASUS, as long as you don't delete the "ASUSxyz.SAV" file. I am not aware about it's location (ROM? Flash?)

motasim
06-14-2004, 06:51 AM
Hi again,

First I'd like to thank you for your efforts to help me. I've tried Mr Morrison's advice and it didn't work, and I did not get that diagnostic screen. I've also learnt how to do a Hard Reset from an internet search and I will post the procedure in the thread Steve asked me to post it in. Unfortunately, this also didn't work.

As I see it there are two possibilities:

1) I have deleted by mistake a start-up entry that I didn't know from windows on my Pocket PC while I was deleting another start-up entry that belongs to a software package that I've installed. If that was the reason for the blank white screen that I got then if an owner of an Asus MyPal A620 Pocket PC can send me a copy of that start-up entry I should be able to place it in the startup folder within windows folder on my device and all should go well after a Soft Reset. If you should know one, please tell him to send me all the files he/she has in the startup folder within windows folder in his/her pocket pc at one of the following two e-mail addresses:

motasim AT hotmail DOT com*
motasim AT timcogroup DOT com*

Please note that I can fully access my pocket pc contents from my desktop pc through the Asus syncronization dock. The two entries that I have there at the moment are only (outlook) and (welcome). Please send me the third one if possible.

2) I've installed and uninstalled many trial sofware during the past weeks, and one of them may have caused this. So, my question is: can I format/flash the ROM and re-install windows mobile 2003 if I wish to do so? That should do the trick.

Thanks a lot for reading all of the above, and sorry for any trouble.

Motasim

P.S. I have contacted ASUS PDA support e-mail around a week ago and still no reply from their side.

* Email addresses modified by moderator SJC - We all hate spammers! :wink:

Pony99CA
06-14-2004, 08:57 AM
I've installed and uninstalled many trial sofware during the past weeks, and one of them may have caused this. So, my question is: can I format/flash the ROM and re-install windows mobile 2003 if I wish to do so? That should do the trick.
A hard reset is the equivalent of reformatting/reflashing. The OS is kept in ROM and a hard reset basically discards everything in your RAM and reinitializes it from the information stored in ROM.

Steve

P.S. I would edit your post and remove those E-mail addresses. Idiot spammers run bots and will likely harvest them, causing you to get more spam. Tell people to send you a private message if they have the startup files and give them your E-mail address via private messages.

motasim
06-16-2004, 02:53 PM
... Thanks Steve for the tip regarding not sending my e-mail out in the open, I didn't really know about that. Now, regarding my problem, I think that I found the solution, it was posted here:

http://forum.chupa.nl/showthread.php?t=496

I shall go to Dubai tomorrow to handover my A620 Pocket PC to the Asus reseller here in UAE and he'll send it to the main branch to have its motherboard replaced.

Thanks to all of you for your efforts to help me,
Motasim