View Full Version : HACKING THE REGISTRY FOR THE MICRO KEYBOARD

bnycastro
06-09-2004, 01:31 AM
Hi all!

I would like to know if you could hack the registry of an iPAQ 2210 ROM1.10 to make it use the MICRO KEYBOARD in apps that don't support the MICRO KEYBOARD... Would this be possible? Thanks in Advance:)

BTW the app I would like to use the Keyboard with is Agile Messenger 2.0

Pony99CA
06-09-2004, 07:53 AM
I would like to know if you could hack the registry of an iPAQ 2210 ROM1.10 to make it use the MICRO KEYBOARD in apps that don't support the MICRO KEYBOARD... Would this be possible? Thanks in Advance:)

BTW the app I would like to use the Keyboard with is Agile Messenger 2.0
Why wouldn't the keyboard work with Agile Messenger? What happens when you try to use it?

Regardless, if the keyboard doesn't work, I doubt there's a registry hack to allow it. For a registry hack to work, either the keyboard driver or Agile Messenger would probably need to be programmed to disallow the other, and the registry hack would bypass that. But why would one of the programs specifically disallow the other?

Steve

bnycastro
06-09-2004, 08:04 AM
The space that shows messages that are being typed/composed is attached to the soft keyboard, so when I press any button on the micro keyboard the soft keyboard and input area are both minimized. Do you think using the micro keyboard is disallowed or simply not supported by the app?

Pony99CA
06-09-2004, 02:52 PM
The space that shows messages that are being typed/composed is attached to the soft keyboard, so when I press any button on the micro keyboard the soft keyboard and input area are both minimized.
Are you saying that you can't use Letter Recognizer (or any other SIP) with Agile Messenger, either?

Do you think using the micro keyboard is disallowed or simply not supported by the app?
I have no idea. Maybe if you post a link to the Agile Messenger Web site, I could look at some screenshots and have some idea.

Also, have you tried contacting the program authors to ask?

Steve

bnycastro
06-10-2004, 01:12 AM
Steve,

What I mean is that you can only use the soft input panel may it be letter recognizer or keyboard or transcriber, I think the app was designed that the text input/preview screen would be called up when the soft input panel is called up and the text input/preview screen would be called down when this is closed. And I think the Micro keyboard minimizes the soft input panel once you hit a button (of course you won't need the soft panel) and so when this happens the text input/preview panel in agile closes as well.

I have tried contacting the makers of the app twice but have not recieved a reply which is no surprise as this app is freeware. anyway here is the link to agile messenger it's pretty neat just wish I could use my micro keyboard with it and it would be the best im app for me.

Agile messenger 2.0 Link: http://www.agilemobile.com/agile_messenger.html
go to downloads for the app, they also have it for mobile phones and the ms smartphone

bnycastro
06-10-2004, 01:17 AM
Steve,

Oh yeah at the bottom of the Agile Messenger page it says Agile Messenger 3.0 will released June 2004... Hopefully they release an update for the Pocket PC as well (they released a 2.1 for the mobile phones but not PPC) Hopefully they read my emailed suggestion re: the keyboard. I guess it would be a waiting game then...

Pony99CA
06-10-2004, 03:32 AM
What I mean is that you can only use the soft input panel may it be letter recognizer or keyboard or transcriber, I think the app was designed that the text input/preview screen would be called up when the soft input panel is called up and the text input/preview screen would be called down when this is closed. And I think the Micro keyboard minimizes the soft input panel once you hit a button (of course you won't need the soft panel) and so when this happens the text input/preview panel in agile closes as well.
If that's the case, they should have an option that disables the auto-hiding of the input area when the SIP is hidden to support keyboard users. I'm sure you've checked for an option like that, though.

What I would do is take my registry editor, find the Agile keys and see if there's a key there that sounds like it might prevent auto-hiding. Many companies include extra function not available through the program's user interface, so you might get lucky.

Another thing you might try is one of the external keyboard SIPs, like the one in PHM PowerToys (http://www.phm.lu/Products/PocketPC/PowerToys/). They are meant to never display a SIP panel, even when the cursor is in an input field.

Steve

bnycastro
06-10-2004, 05:02 AM
Steve

Can't find anything on the input in my registry.

Will take a look at PHM Power Toys and see if it helps.

bnycastro
06-11-2004, 02:24 AM
Steve

I tried the PHM Power Toys like you suggested. Sadly it didn't work the SIP was locked and the input/preview pane in Agile was also locked :(

Pony99CA
06-11-2004, 11:35 AM
I tried the PHM Power Toys like you suggested. Sadly it didn't work the SIP was locked and the input/preview pane in Agile was also locked :(
So if you tapped on the External Keyboard SIP button to "activate" the keyboard, did the input pane come up? I'd at least expect that to happen. It may disappear again when you press a key, but I'd think you could at least get the input pane visible.

Steve

bnycastro
06-11-2004, 01:34 PM
When using PHM Power Toy Extended Keyboard App. The SIP is hidden and the Input panel is hidden as well. Pressing buttons on the micro keyboard did not elicit any response. The input panel did not come up at all.

Pony99CA
06-11-2004, 02:07 PM
When using PHM Power Toy Extended Keyboard App. The SIP is hidden and the Input panel is hidden as well. Pressing buttons on the micro keyboard did not elicit any response. The input panel did not come up at all.
Right, the SIP should be hidden, which is the point of the External Keyboard SIP. However, what I'm asking is what happens when you tap the SIP button (the little keyboard icon if you're using the normal SIP keyboard).

If tapping that displays the input area, then what happens when you use the MicroKeyboard?

Steve

bnycastro
06-12-2004, 04:03 AM
As I have stated... when using the micro keyboard the input panel is minimized. no matter which button you push on whatever SIP is 'on' or 'selected' the input panel is minimized.

Pony99CA
06-12-2004, 07:10 AM
As I have stated... when using the micro keyboard the input panel is minimized. no matter which button you push on whatever SIP is 'on' or 'selected' the input panel is minimized.
Well, it didn't sound like you had tested what I suggested after installing the Exeternal Keyboard SIP. I had hoped that maybe it would stay active even when a key was pressed, thus keeping the input area area open.

If that's not the case, I guess your only recourse is to have Agile add an option to keep the input pane open until the user minimizes it.

Steve

bnycastro
06-13-2004, 05:13 AM
Steve

Yeah I guess I'd have to wait for Agile to add that option. Well thanks for your help.