View Full Version : 2210 rubber sidepieces - 2nd failure

terrypin
06-08-2004, 08:52 PM
I've just contacted HP to request yet another set of sidepieces for my iPAQ 2210. These have been used with the unit almost always in its leather case, yet on one side the rubber has started to peel away from the plastic at the top corner.

While I'm waiting for the replacement, I thought I'd try to repair it with adhesive. Last time, I used 'super glue', with awful results. Has anyone found an adhesive that does a good job please?

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK
Using iPAQ 2210 with WM2003.

Robb Bates
06-09-2004, 12:42 AM
I wouldn't worry about it. I got mine next day. And since HP is sending out redesigned grips, you hopefully shouldn't have to worry about it any more.

Also, for everyone's info, the two grips are ever so slightly different. One has a K on the underside and the other has a P. I have found that you should put the K on the left and the P on the right. If you do it the other way, the top corners of the grips stick out just a hair past the top front of the device which could cause problems.

Robb

terrypin
06-09-2004, 07:36 AM
Thanks Robb. Yes, the rep I spoke to mentioned that the new ones should be of a better design. I looked at the original one which I kept, and that had a '7' on it. Is it the new types that carry the K or P? That's a handy tip. Puzzling though that there is any asymmetry.

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

Robb Bates
06-09-2004, 04:33 PM
Yes, the new types have the K and P on them. And although there doesn't seem to be any asymmetry, there is a very small bit. If there wasn't any asymetry, HP would only have one part number, but funny that they don't tell you which grip goes on which side.

Robb

Kacey Green
06-10-2004, 01:14 AM
the redesigned grips don't work :evil: they just last longer before falling off again :evil:

Starevoli
06-10-2004, 09:01 AM
I have one escapee side-grip... How much does HP charge for a replacement set?

PocketPCTechs sells a set of replacement grips for the 2200 series and a tool-kit to replace them. I gather they're made ofanodized aluminum instead of rubber and have little finger indentations and grip texture. They come in four colours and are about forty bucks for a set. www.pocketpctechs.com/i2200diykit.asp

I was thinking of getting these (they appear to be firmly screwed on) -but might try an HP replacement set if they're any good.

?

terrypin
06-10-2004, 12:16 PM
Robb: The replacements arrived today (impressive speed) but I see one has 'O' (not 'K') and the other 'P'. And I'm darned if I can see the slightest difference between them!

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

Robb Bates
06-10-2004, 03:57 PM
You really can't SEE any difference until you put them on your PPC. Then the top front corners stick out maybe the thickness of a piece of paper. Not much, but enough to rub on your case and cause some wear.

Starevoli, HP will ship them for free as long as your PPC is still under it's hardware warranty. You can find out if it is by looking on their website or calling them.

Robb