View Full Version : MSN / Hotmail problem

flooder
06-08-2004, 04:26 PM
I recently upgraded the ROM in my Dell X3i. I normally use this as a chance to "fdisk the machine and reload." Because I had done this recently, I took Dell suggestion and made a backup and used it after the update. Now my MSN Messenger won't work, nor can I log into hotmail. I found a usnet post that suggested that the encryption was messed up because of using the backup.

Any thoughts on this. More importanly, any fixes. I can do the Hard Reset if I have to.

Pony99CA
06-08-2004, 06:18 PM
I recently upgraded the ROM in my Dell X3i. I normally use this as a chance to "fdisk the machine and reload." Because I had done this recently, I took Dell suggestion and made a backup and used it after the update. Now my MSN Messenger won't work, nor can I log into hotmail. I found a usnet post that suggested that the encryption was messed up because of using the backup.

Any thoughts on this. More importanly, any fixes. I can do the Hard Reset if I have to.
If you hard reset, making a backup and restoring is usually fine. However, if you're doing a ROM upgrade, you should not use a backup made before the upgrade. You'll be replacing some newer files in RAM with older versions, which can cause problems.

It would be nice if ActiveSync's Restore function had the option of leaving system files (and system registry entries) alone.

Steve