View Full Version : Microsoft Reader Reinstallation on I-Mate PPC

Risingsun
06-08-2004, 03:37 PM
Recently updated my OS version to 1.72.00 and commenced to reinstall apps and utilities erased during the reinstallation process. Since MS Reader in ROM is outdated, I downloaded the current release and installed in RAM (default drive), then activated (successfully). I've performed this process numerous times (following occasional hard boots) without incident and MS Reader (in RAM) has worked flawlessly. However, this most recent installation (actually several repeated installations) fails to open my ebooks -
"This copy of Microsoft Reader cannot open this title. You may not have rights for viewing ... ," although the ebooks display in the Library. Clearly I must have forgotten a crucial step in the MS Reader replacement process and I can't locate an earlier forum discussion on this topic. Any and all help appreciated. I miss my Reader!!!

The Yaz
06-08-2004, 04:34 PM
Ebooks displayed in the library have no bearing whether or not they can be read by MS reader. I've only had success with the ram install when I placed the my library folder in the pda memory at the time of install and activation.

For some reason, the activation process does not like to search the storage cards. Once you activate your reader, move the My Library folder back to your storage card. They should be openable.

My friends laugh at me when I go through these hoops to make things work. They would use c-lit to remove the drm protection instead.

Good luck,

Steve 8)

Pony99CA
06-08-2004, 06:07 PM
I don't bother reactivating at all. I just backup the Reader activation files (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=61582#61582) then copy them back after a ROM update.

I'm not sure that will still work with the newer versions of Reader, but I think the iPAQ 5550 ROM update included a Reader update, and it says that I'm activated.

Steve

Qman
06-09-2004, 04:51 PM
Thanks for that great tip Steve, I'll have to remember it to use it on my
next upgrade/hard reset! :wink: