View Full Version : Practicality of using new 6300 as mutlifunction device.

thechrisjung
06-08-2004, 01:58 AM
I am waiting on the new Hp 6300 (heres some information on it)

http://www.pocketpccentral.net/ipaq6300.htm

The reason I am waiting and willing to spend the money on this device is due to its multifunction potential. I would use it as a phone/pda/mp3 player/ect.
Ive read some posts regarding use of the ipaq as a mp3 player and the consesus seems to be the batterylife is decent enough for most people.
However, Im not familiar with the use of pda devices as phones. Wouldnt using the device as a phone mean the ipaq would have to be on continuously greatly reducing the potential for multifunction use (b/c of battery life).
Please help me decide on the practicality of using the coming 6300 as a mutlifunciton device.

THX everyone

bnycastro
06-08-2004, 05:14 AM
I think they are boasting a bigger batt (1800mAh or is it bigger? anyway these are just rumors) although this device will be having 4 kinds of wireless (GSM/GPRS+WiFi+BlueTooth+IR) one of this--GSM/GPRS will be on all the time (if you want to recieve calls that is). I think if you use another wireless or two more wireless functions i.e. WiFi (to connect to your home or office network) and Bluetooth (i.e. if you use a wireless headset with your ppc phone) this would take up a lot of power (unless the TI Processors do a better job than intel's). So if you're out and about all the time you would probably need an extra batt or a car charger. If you're at the office/home then it's not really a problem as you can have it in the cradled/plugged-in all the time. it is certainly cool to have an all in one device however I will first wait for the reviews to come out before getting one as I am not sure about the power consumption and proccessor consumption (does playing MP3s and having the phone on and reading an ebook all at the same time be possible or will I have an ultra slow device?). I definitely think that the 63xx would be an ultra cool device (well it is conceptually) however we are not really sure if it would be practical in real-world conditions. Other PPC Phones... like the XDA2 are in the market already and some are still coming Moto's MPx and many more! So we have a lot of choices! Personally I am waiting for the MPx and hp 63xx and will be comparing the two hehehe:)

Kowalski
06-08-2004, 09:10 AM
Yes the device might be cool anyway but i dont find ppc phone edition a good combination. in fact i find this kind of devices are not practical. i prefer a BT enabled device plus ppc. this way i can use gprs.
i use my mobile alot, and it is more practical to use the keypad than using a stylus to dial a number and while talking i prefer using a small device than a bigger ppc in my hands.
and battery is another issue. i charge the battery of my mobile twice a week but i have to charge my ppc daily. if i were using a ppc phone edition the battery drain would be much more.
lastly most of the times i carry my ppc with me but sometimes i leave it at home and just take my phone with me. since i can sync outlook with my phone easly, this gives me more freedom.
lastly in the case of software failure(ppcs are prone to make problems much more than mobile phones) you wont be able to use it as a phone, but a cellular phone almost never causes problems.
so lets hear comments from people having phone eddition, janak?

bnycastro
06-08-2004, 09:20 AM
Very good points. Which made me think...

I live in the Philippines and I have to charge my mobile once in two days... because the network is not so good and the phone uses more power just to maintain/look for a signal. GPRS here is crap and costs Php 0.25 per kb... not really cheap and we don't have those unlimited data plans like other countries do. With this in mind I couldn't really maximize a ppc phone edition as I wouldn't (couldn't) be connecting to GPRS all the time.

maybe your two unit solution would be more practical in my case... I just hope I have enough self control not to go out and get the new devices just because of the cool factor.

Janak Parekh
06-19-2004, 05:06 AM
so lets hear comments from people having phone eddition, janak?
I disagree with most of your points. Here goes. ;)

Yes the device might be cool anyway but i dont find ppc phone edition a good combination. in fact i find this kind of devices are not practical. i prefer a BT enabled device plus ppc. this way i can use gprs.
This unit has Bluetooth, and supports GPRS.

i use my mobile alot, and it is more practical to use the keypad than using a stylus to dial a number and while talking i prefer using a small device than a bigger ppc in my hands.
A physical keypad is indeed more convenient, but you can thumb the "soft keys" on a Pocket PC Phone, and it's workable.

and battery is another issue. i charge the battery of my mobile twice a week but i have to charge my ppc daily. if i were using a ppc phone edition the battery drain would be much more.
The Pocket PC phones I've had generally exhibit excellent battery life -- better than most non-phone Pocket PCs, actually. My i700, with extended battery, would easily last several days if I needed it to, although I charge it nightly so I don't have to think about it.

lastly most of the times i carry my ppc with me but sometimes i leave it at home and just take my phone with me. since i can sync outlook with my phone easly, this gives me more freedom.
Well, it depends on your pocket size. I carry my i700 around with me everywhere I go, and don't find that aspect annoying. In fact, having the Pocket PC always with me is a boon.

lastly in the case of software failure(ppcs are prone to make problems much more than mobile phones) you wont be able to use it as a phone, but a cellular phone almost never causes problems.
Hm? Like what? My i700 is pretty stable. Even in the worst case of a hard reset, it'd still be useable as a phone. Have you never had a phone reboot on you? ;)

--janak

bnycastro
06-19-2004, 06:03 AM
Arghhh! I just saw the h63xx pics from PPCItalia... it is really nice :)

It is definitely a WOW! device... Wonder when the Moto MPx will get it's FCC Approval?

Hello Moto??? Were is it?

@janak: do you know what size the standard batt of the h63xx is? you said your i700's extended batt lasts you more than a day, may I ask what the batt size is?

Janak Parekh
06-19-2004, 06:47 AM
@janak: do you know what size the standard batt of the h63xx is? you said your i700's extended batt lasts you more than a day, may I ask what the batt size is?
No clue what the 6300's battery is off the top of my head - try a couple searches, though, I've seen it mentioned somewhere. As for the i700, the extended battery is 2000mah.

--janak

bnycastro
06-19-2004, 07:08 AM
@janak:

Thanks.

Did what you suggested, I found this at:
bargainPDA 1850mAH Lithium Ion
mtekk 1800mAH Lithium Ion