View Full Version : Stability of Windows Mobile 2E on the X30

torok
06-06-2004, 02:02 AM
Am I the only one who can't run in landscape mode? I can switch, but then it's just a matter of time before I have to soft reset. And then, more often then not, if will continue to freeze before I can get to the setting to switch back to portrait, so I have to do a hard reset, which is a huge pain. Is this something I should wine to Dell about?

Sven Johannsen
06-06-2004, 03:28 AM
'Hard Reset' as in you lose all your data and have an out-of-the-box PPC again, or 'Soft reset', normally done by pushing a recessed button that essentially reboots the PPC back to a stable condition, but with all your data and programs intact?

Regardless, yes I would complain...but...Does this occur with an out of the box PPC with nothing more than a partnership having been established and data sync'd? Or are we talking about a PPC with tons of third party software loaded that may or may not yet be compatible with 2003 SE?

I gotta ask, because Dell will. They will, rightfully, have you 'hard reset' and then see if you have the problem. They aren't responsible for the other stuff you load on it.

mara6
06-06-2004, 03:35 AM
What programs do you have installed? The program "BatMemTime" can cause your Axim to lock-up and then soft reset.

torok
06-06-2004, 04:05 AM
Right out of the box the first thing I did was put it into landscape and try to surf the web. Lasted about 2 minutes. :D I did that twice, the second time (directly after a hard reset) I put it in landscape and tried Windows Media Player: same deal.

I think I'll give them a call Monday.

CoreyJF
06-06-2004, 02:53 PM
I would give them a call. I have been using my x30 in landscape mode a lot. WHen I have had crashes it has been with specific software

rapster
06-07-2004, 07:13 AM
Am I the only one who can't run in landscape mode?

No, you are not. The forums at www.aximsite.com contain many posts of the same problem. I've experienced exactly the same thing as you: out of the box, landscape mode, lock up, hard reset to get the machine working again.

It's a shame, too, as landscape looks so cool, esp. with PIE.

torok
06-07-2004, 09:23 PM
Well, I called Dell about it today and they are shipping a new unit to me. I hope the next one works.

milkman dan
07-01-2004, 02:48 AM
Hate to break it to you, but your problem is with WME2003SE, not your PDA itself. There was a thread a little while ago addressing this issue. It is one of the main reasons I am still toting a first edition device

Janak Parekh
07-01-2004, 05:40 AM
Hate to break it to you, but your problem is with WME2003SE, not your PDA itself.
Are you sure about that? Or is it a problem with Dell's implementation of landscape, or is it a subtle conflict?

--janak

milkman dan
07-01-2004, 03:11 PM
from what I have bene reading, its a problem with WME2003SE itself. I didn't understand all of what was said, but the gist of it sounded like the problem is with the app not being able to properly speak to the video driver or something, (I can't remember the specifics) but it said that all WME2003SE devices will be affected by this untill they solve the problem :( There was a huge article written in general discussion on it a few weeks ago