View Full Version : Can I use this thing while it's charging?

torok
06-05-2004, 02:35 AM
I just got my X30 today and it says that I'm supposed to charge it for eight hours before first use. If I'm charging it, can I use it? There's a bypass circuit so it doesn't run off the battery when it's charging, right?

I'm anxious to play with my new toy. :D

Noghri_ViR
06-05-2004, 02:49 AM
I charged my A5 fully before using it.

Brad Adrian
06-05-2004, 04:04 AM
Please do NOT hold me legally responsible, but I'm always very eager, too, and have been able to use my devices after they're at least 50% charged.

tanalasta
06-05-2004, 05:30 AM
In answer to your question: Yes, you can always use your pocketpc whilst it is charging. Whether it is your first time or not. Whatever the charging status is...

However: There is quite a bit of debate about initialising a new battery. It takes a couple of complete charge/discharge cycles to optimise the battery before it performs at it's best. I've found from experience that following manufacturer's instructions tends to return better battery life and less battery-related problems.

So my advice - don't get inpatient. Wait the 8 hours before turning on your device. Mmmkay??? It won't hurt :P Batteries are expensive. I haven't worked out whether devices use a bypass circuit to run off the mains only or if they run off the battery whilst plugged in but keep it constantly charged. If you do get impatient - worst case scenario is you get reduced battery performance. You won't kill the battery by using it during the first charge. And if you do notice a large difference, it is covered by your warranty.

torok
06-05-2004, 06:38 AM
Well, I've only got a few more hours to go here, so I think I'll just wait it out.