View Full Version : Streaming - hit or miss?

Paul Martin
06-04-2004, 09:44 PM
My radio station is now webcasting. I wanted to be able to listen on my PPC 2002, but WindowsMedia just gives me an error (.asx file). Is it a problem with my "older" version of Windows Media?

Paul Martin
06-04-2004, 10:21 PM
OK, answered my own problem. I was trying to open the .asx file within MediaPlayer. Instead, I browsed to the site using PIE, clicked on the link, which then opened the correct link. Sorry if this is too obvious. Until now, I don't think I'd tried to listen to a stream on my PPC.

carrigaline
06-05-2004, 02:32 AM
I have a similar problem.........

I don't think it is the same issue though.

I have a favourite radio station and listen to it on my laptop at work. Whenever I try to catch the archived version of the show on my laptop, after clicking on the link either WMP opens up or an IE window with an embedded WMP player.

The problem I have when using my 5550 (with wireless on) is that when I click on the link to start the stream, a 5mb file downloads and I can't open it in File explorer or within WMP. Is there something that I am doing wrong or is it there something about the website that is preventing the stream working on my ppc?

Thanks for your help!

Dermot81
06-05-2004, 03:52 AM
If you can tell us what the extension is of the file thats downloaded, then I'm sure we can tell you what player you need to download to listen to it.

My favorite audio player is the GSPlayer.
For video it is Picard's Betaplayer.

Both are free and very easy to find when typed into Google, sorry I'm too lazy to get links :)

OSUKid7
06-05-2004, 12:34 PM
I also have another similar question.

I have an asx radio stream that I listen to, but would like to make a shortcut to it either in Programs or (hopefully) the Favorites in PIE. I've tried entering it into the address bar in PIE, and it opens it in WMP. However, when I go back to PIE, and try to add the favorite, it still lists the previous webpage as the URL. Is there a way I can make a custom shortcut? How about making it on my computer and then dragging it to the Favorites on my device?

carrigaline
06-05-2004, 04:59 PM
Hello Dermot81...

The funny thing is that the 5mb downloaded file is a wmv file - yet WMP won't play it on my PPC. Is there a reason why it won't stream like my laptop?

Any solution would be appreciated!

Paul Martin
06-05-2004, 10:22 PM
Is there any possibility that the file is coded in a higher version that the Pocket PC player can use? Just a thought....

carrigaline
06-06-2004, 12:30 AM
Is there any possibility that the file is coded in a higher version that the Pocket PC player can use? Just a thought....

Hi

I don't know if that is the case......but if it were......how would you get around it to make it work on the ppc?

Thanks!

Kash76
06-18-2004, 11:41 PM
Give us a link so those of us with Mobile 2003 can try for you.

Paul Martin
06-19-2004, 03:01 AM
Hi

I don't know if that is the case......but if it were......how would you get around it to make it work on the ppc?

Thanks!

Sorry, haven't checked the thread in a few days. Yes, as suggested, please provide a link. I have PPC2002, but am glad to test as well.