View Full Version : HP2215 CF slot support IDE mode????

ricoks
06-04-2004, 07:01 PM
Hello, I just bought an Ipod mini, which has the 4gb microdrive in it, and I want to use it in my 2215. I know it wont work in a camera, but will work in my usb card reader just fine. What I am wondering is, what is it about the 2215 that will/will not allow it to work in its CF slot? Does the slot allow for memory mode only, or will it allow for ide mode as well with the correct driver? I have searched long and hard for this answer, and have yet to find anything. the only driver I can find is for a USB mass storage, not ide/CF.
I hope this I can make this work, as I would love to carry much more than just my 256mb SD cards around. :?

btw, when I insert it in the 2215, it comes up with the infamous "Unrecognized Card - Enter the name of the device driver for this card" :evil:

Then in Rexco Explorer, it doesn't show up at all. My SD does, but not this one. I have formatted it in XP, and I can transfer to it fine, but want to use it in my PPC

Any help you all have would be great
Thanks
Ryan

Robb Bates
06-04-2004, 07:34 PM
Maybe it's the formatting. Doesn't XP use NTFS? And the h2215 uses FAT or FAT32?

Just a thought.

Robb

ricoks
06-04-2004, 07:52 PM
Maybe it's the formatting. Doesn't XP use NTFS? And the h2215 uses FAT or FAT32?

I just checked it on my PC, and it is in Fat32 format. I really hope this will work for me!!!!
Thanks for the thought.....................

Robb Bates
06-04-2004, 08:04 PM
Do a search here for muvo2. They have 4gb microdrives in them. As I recall, there was something you had to do to them before they would work in the PPC.

Robb

the-mang
06-04-2004, 10:29 PM
Actually the only thing needed for the drive from the Muvo2 to work is to format it. I don't believe that the hard drive from the iPod Mini has ever been known to work outside of itself. I think that there have been several failed attempts.....sorry.

Jeff the pianoguy
06-10-2004, 07:48 PM
EVERYTHING I'VE HEARD IS THE SAME AS THE-MANG. I HAVE A MUVO2 4GB DRIVE AND ALL I DID WAS FORMAT IT IN MY 8 IN ONE CARD READER.

milkman dan
06-10-2004, 08:52 PM
call me crazy, but if you slap in a microdrive with an unknown partition, will windows not simply ask to reformat it? It shouldn't be asking for drivers I don't think :(

ricoks
06-12-2004, 05:10 PM
call me crazy, but if you slap in a microdrive with an unknown partition, will windows not simply ask to reformat it? It shouldn't be asking for drivers I don't think :(

XP isn't asking for the driver, my 2215 is. This issue will go with the new Muvos too, as they have a similar microdrive to the ipod now!! (non CF compatible) I was hoping the pocketpcs had ide mode in thier cf slots, like an XP machine does with a card reader; it just treats it like a removable harddrive - which it is!!!!!!!!

Thanks
Ryan

milkman dan
06-13-2004, 02:45 AM
no, the PPC is exactly what I was tlaking about. If you slap any cf or sd slot with a mysterious (read:screwed up) partition, it will simply pop up a window that says "the cf/sd yada yada needs to be formatted, would you like to do this

ricoks
06-14-2004, 01:18 AM
yeah, well that isn't what it said, it asked for the driver. I assume that means the PPC does NOT have IDE support. Is this right, for those that are more hardware knowledgable

jgrnt1
06-14-2004, 02:26 AM
Tapani Otala wrote a driver for PPC2002, which he kept tweaking to recognize more drives. However, it does not work with WM2003. I have not found any drivers which work with WM2003. If the drive is running in IDE mode, you may be SOL.