View Full Version : ROM Upgrade for i-Mate Pocket PC

Janak Parekh
06-03-2004, 10:30 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.clubimate.com/index.asp?PageAction=DEVICE_PPC_UPD' target='_blank'>http://www.clubimate.com/index.asp?...=DEVICE_PPC_UPD</a><br /><br /></div>Looks like Carrier Devices-branded XDA 2's have an update.<br /><br />"The latest upgrade to the i-mate™ Pocket PC is now available for download. It includes Bluetooth and battery life enhancements, the latest fixes from Microsoft and the latest radio version. Please register on clubimate.com to obtain the device upgrade. By becoming a member of club i-mate, you will instantly gain access to discounted software, games, ring-tones, music, and more! Plus, you will have access to free downloads for customizing your i-mate™ Pocket PC Phone Edition or Smartphone device."<br /><br />I don't have an Club i-Mate account, but the news submitter reported that the new ROM version is 1.72.00wwe and the radio stack version is 1.14.00. By the way, if you have a different brand of XDA 2, do this upgrade at your own risk (that is, assuming you can log into the site in the first place).

Ryan Joseph
06-04-2004, 12:28 PM
I installed the update last night. It took about half an hour, all told.

Everything seems to be working perfectly...but I'll have to give it a few days to see if the battery's any better.

There's one problem, though. Now, after the update, Cleartype doesn't seem to work. It turns on and it smooths the fonts out, but it makes some letters yellow and some blue.

Anyone else experience this?

adamz
06-04-2004, 01:09 PM
The cleartype issue was also in Rom 1.66. I think other manufacturer's 1.72 ROMs also have it, so it's probably a Microsoft prolem.

Also, the 1.72 ROMs have a different way of installing to prevent against changing to ROMs released by other carriers. If you try to downgrade your ROM back to an older version you will likely brick your device.

Another issue is that ROM 1.72 doesn't seem to work well with some GPS software.

Ryan Joseph
06-04-2004, 01:30 PM
Are there any fixes for the Cleartype problem? I'll probably just turn it off...I like Cleartype, but I don't need it. :)

Overall, the upgrade seems good. I've already noticed improved signal strength. My office at work seems to be in a black hole or something. Ten feet away, if you step out the door into the parking lot, you get full bars, but inside the office, there's nothing. Well, this morning, I get one bar of signal! Very nice. :mrgreen:

dmjames
06-04-2004, 04:15 PM
I updated yestarday, easy enough. So far my unit is stable, signal strength improved. Just spend the afternoon in the cinema no problems, last time I was there my system froze and I had to hard reset (ROM version 1.66), I am hoping this new radio version fixes the frequent freezing that I and many other 1.66 ROM users experienced.

limit
06-05-2004, 05:03 PM
has anyone tried on O2 XDA2?

Jon Westfall
06-05-2004, 06:16 PM
has anyone tried on O2 XDA2?
With some of the stuff happening with ROM 1.72 (T-Mobile's version) I'd be leary to try on different platforms. If you must, you can try using EREdit2003 to change the carrier and language to match yours.