View Full Version : 4155 and IP addresses

prototype
06-03-2004, 07:32 PM
Ok so I am having this fluke with my WiFi on my 4155, and I don't recall having it before.

When I turn on my wireless radio, I get an IP address from my wireless home network right away. I plug away and everything works fine. If I happen to get distracted and the Ipaq turns itself OFF, when I turn it back on it will not re-obtain an IP address.

Most of the time I need to shut off the WiFi, then turn it back on to get an IP address again ... sometimes I have even had to reset the unit.

Is this a common problem? Is there an easy fix?

I have WiNC installed and it can see my home network, but won't get an IP from it.

Thanks
Drew

Darius Wey
06-04-2004, 04:33 AM
I suspect your computer is set to automatically allocate IP addresses to connected devices. Once they disconnect and reconnect, it usually results in an invalid IP address with 0.0.0.0 which is a bummer in wireless terms. The way to overcome this is to manually allocate IP addresses to your devices which can be done by accessing the Properties page of your wireless connection, and manipulating the settings in the TCP/IP protocol option. If you manually allocate your IP addresses, it should solve this invalid IP address issue everytime you connect. Hope that helps.

Darius Wey
06-04-2004, 04:34 AM
Oh yeh...also ensure that if you have a firewall, that it allows communication between the two devices to occur. Sometimes, people often neglect to open up the ports for the communication, and regardless of what they do to IP addresses, they can never get it to connect! :wink: