View Full Version : Connecting 2 iPAQs to one computer

ecm
06-03-2004, 07:22 PM
Hello all first post. I've had a iPAQ 1945 for 6 months now and love it. My wife decided she could use one also and she got a 1910. My question is when we connect hers to our computer will it recognize it as a different pocketPC? Is there anything special to know before syncing both to the same PC? Thanks.

--Chip

milkman dan
06-03-2004, 07:37 PM
none whatsoever :D it activesync will recognize the different devices and saves profiles of them

Sven Johannsen
06-03-2004, 07:47 PM
First and formost, they cannot have the same name. The default is Pocket_PC. If that is what it says at the top of ActiveSync for the one you have now, you will need to change the other one. That's under Settings/System/About/Device ID.

Beyond that there are special things for if you have independent Outlook profiles to ensure the right stuff get sync'd, but I can't help much on that. My wife and I have our own PCs

milkman dan
06-03-2004, 08:41 PM
ohhh, I never took that into consideration. I only have one outlook profile, and when I set sync options it never asks me to choose a profile or anything like that. I would assume that the 2002 version would ask you which profile you want to sync with though, if not microsoft should fix that up

Kacey Green
06-04-2004, 04:44 AM
the only thing aside from the name thing you have to worry about, is only one PPC can sync, so only connect one PPC at a time (it may work that only the first connected ppc syncs if more than one is connected)

Pony99CA
06-04-2004, 05:23 AM
the only thing aside from the name thing you have to worry about, is only one PPC can sync, so only connect one PPC at a time (it may work that only the first connected ppc syncs if more than one is connected)
You certainly can connect two iPAQs at once to the same computer -- I have an iPAQ 3650 and 5550 connected right now to my laptop. The first one connected will synchronize, the second one will just charge.

However, even if you remove the first one, the second one won't sync automatically. You will have to remove and replace the second one to get it to sync.

Steve

Kacey Green
06-04-2004, 07:49 AM
my cradles don't have AC adapters installed, so the second PPC would just drain its battery correct? or would it not even turn on as if the PC was off? would you mind testing that since you have two there? Don't forget not all iPAQs use the USB charge function I know the 2xxx and 1xxx don't I don't know about the 4xxx, but the 3xxx and 5xxx do.

Pony99CA
06-04-2004, 09:18 AM
my cradles don't have AC adapters installed, so the second PPC would just drain its battery correct? or would it not even turn on as if the PC was off? would you mind testing that since you have two there? Don't forget not all iPAQs use the USB charge function I know the 2xxx and 1xxx don't I don't know about the 4xxx, but the 3xxx and 5xxx do.
I took my iPAQ 5550 out of the cradle, turned it off, unplugged the AC adapter from the cradle and put the 5550 back into the cradle. It turned on. I don't use USB charging.

Steve

Sven Johannsen
06-04-2004, 02:38 PM
I took my iPAQ 5550 out of the cradle, turned it off, unplugged the AC adapter from the cradle and put the 5550 back into the cradle. It turned on. I don't use USB charging.

Steve

Next question is, does it turn back of based on your settings. I've found that if the power is connected, and it is not 'connected' IAW AS, it follows the settings. Off, it stays off (except for the periodic wakeups), and On it stays on.

Kacey Green
06-04-2004, 04:01 PM

Steve
when you did this the other PPC was still on and connected right?

Pony99CA
06-04-2004, 04:51 PM
when you did this the other PPC was still on and connected right?
No, my iPAQ 3650 was off, but sitting in the cradle.

Steve

Pony99CA
06-04-2004, 04:55 PM
Next question is, does it turn back of based on your settings. I've found that if the power is connected, and it is not 'connected' IAW AS, it follows the settings. Off, it stays off (except for the periodic wakeups), and On it stays on.
Sorry, Sven, but I have absolutely no clue what you mean. Assuming AS is ActiveSync, what is "IAW"? And what settings are you referring to -- ActiveSync desktop, ActiveSync PC, something else?

Steve

Don't Panic!
06-04-2004, 05:58 PM
IAW = In Accordance With (http://libertyboy.free.fr/computing/definitions/acronyms/index.php). My new favorite is @[your name here] meaning I'm talking directly to you.

Don't Panic!
Bobby

Kacey Green
06-05-2004, 03:32 AM
@ Steve/pony if the second ppc was off how does that answer my question? The question was will the second one stay off, when set in the cradle if the first one already has the attn. of the PC and activesync.

Sven Johannsen
06-05-2004, 05:31 AM
My 4155 is in the cradle, connected, in sync. I put my 2215 in it's cradle (while off). It does not turn on, but I get the usb connect be-doop and a few seconds later the USB disconnect ba-deep. All this doesn't phase the 4155 at all.

I can turn the 2215 on without affecting anything but then it won't turn off because I have it set not to with external power. If it goes on by itself though, to see what's going on I guess, it will turn itself back off. This is accompanied by the USB noises. Those of course are distinct from the AS connect and disconnect, which are bedeledeep and bedeledoop.

If the 2215 is off, and I turn the 4155 off, I can then turn the 2215 on, in the cradle and it will connect and sync. Now the 4155 will act like the 2215 did.

Pony99CA
06-05-2004, 07:15 AM
@ Steve/pony if the second ppc was off how does that answer my question? The question was will the second one stay off, when set in the cradle if the first one already has the attn. of the PC and activesync.
I answered that question previously -- my 5550 (the second Pocket PC cradled) turned on when I set it in the cradle. You asked if the other Pocket PC was on or off, by which I thought you meant the first Pocket PC connected, which was my iPAQ 3650.

Steve

Pony99CA
06-05-2004, 07:28 AM
IAW = In Accordance With (http://libertyboy.free.fr/computing/definitions/acronyms/index.php).
I've been IMing since the late 80s, and have never seen that one. It guess it's a case of AOOALTCC. *

My new favorite is @[your name here] meaning I'm talking directly to you.
That was easy to figure out, because it made sense. Of course, saying "@Pony How does this work?" is actually more work than saying "Pony, how does this work?" (You have to hit the Shift key for the @, but not the comma.)

It's like fools who say "ne way" for "anyway", even though they both have the same number of characters. Why make things harder to read when it doesn't save anything? (Unless you're intentionally trying to be obscure, of course.)

I'll stop before this gets any more off-topic. We don't need Steve or Kati telling us to :nonono:.

Steve

* An Overuse Of Abbreviations Leads To Confusing Communication

Kacey Green
06-06-2004, 08:07 AM
I answered that question previously -- my 5550 (the second Pocket PC cradled) turned on when I set it in the cradle. You asked if the other Pocket PC was on or off, by which I thought you meant the first Pocket PC connected, which was my iPAQ 3650.

Steve

Sven and Steve, thanks

@Steve when you said that I was assuming that the more powerfull newer more fully featured device was the "first device" and just got confused

Pony99CA
06-06-2004, 08:53 AM
@Steve when you said that I was assuming that the more powerfull newer more fully featured device was the "first device" and just got confused
Actually, because I use my 5550 as my primary Pocket PC, the 3650 is often the first cradled (because I pretty much just leave it there :-)).

Steve