View Full Version : DVD to PPC + Betaplayer issue

foldedspace
06-03-2004, 07:14 PM
Betaplayer doesn't seem to play WMV. Fine...but DVD to PPC enodes my DVD's as WMV. I don't want to use Media Player, I want to use Betaplayer. I don't suppose there is an easy way to convert WMV, is there? Or perhaps a better solution altogether? I just want to watch the DVD's I purchased on my Loox.

milkman dan
06-03-2004, 07:35 PM
you could use a generic dvd ripper, and rip divx instead, just make it low rez and low quality, thats basically all the PPC video rips are. Or, you could save yourself the trouble and go to www.packetnews.com or www.ircspy.com and download any PPC movie you want... but please for the sake of the law only download movies you already own :D

Ripper014
06-03-2004, 11:50 PM
Here is what I do... once DvD To PPC finishes the first stage... it leaves behind a mpg file. At that point it encodes it into a wmv file and deletes the mpg.

Once the second stage of encoding starts I stop the process... and use VirtualDub to create a DivX file from the converted mpg. In other words I use DvD to PPC to rip the DvD to mpg for me.

foldedspace
06-03-2004, 11:55 PM
Interesting...I noticed that second stage. What I'm trying to do right now, is rip my DVD with a commerical ripper, and then convert the resultant avi file into divx with pocketdivxencoder. Hopefully that will do it.

Darius Wey
06-04-2004, 04:04 AM
You can give XMPEG a go. Just make sure you have the DivX encode/decode codec installed.

Ripper014
06-04-2004, 04:08 AM
Ok.. I thought that PocketDivXEncoder did it all...??? I have never been able to get it to work...

However I like using VirtualDUB anyway... it will load an avi file as well... if you want the settings I use just PM me... and I will try and walk you through it... though there are lots of guides out there... I have never read them but I am sure they will work.

Darius Wey
06-04-2004, 04:20 AM
PocketDivXEncoder is a good program for doing it all. But it's mainly exclusive for Pocket PCs and simplicity. XMPEG is good if you want to do everything as well, but with extra options for tweaking your output file.

foldedspace
06-04-2004, 06:40 PM
I ran the avi I ripped through pocketdivxencoder, but it was unwatchable on my Loox. So I tried it at half-size, and it ran smooth, but was very, very tiny. So I'm trying it again with the settings I used for the tiny version. Pity it takes 4 hours....