View Full Version : The PDA Filesharing Concept

Darius Wey
06-03-2004, 06:55 AM
QUOTE:
A tiny European software company has done what the giants of the consumer electronics industry daren't do - and put a potential Napster in every pocket.

Simeda, based in Bucharest, has ported Rendezvous to the Pocket PC platform and bundled it with a web server. The software automatically discovers other devices on a WiFi network and allows people to stream or share music with just a couple of clicks.

For more, read here: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/06/03/pocket_rendezvous/

Kowalski
06-03-2004, 09:53 AM
i dont think that this program will be a hit, and even usefull.
you are talking about file sharing over wifi :!: do you know how much power does it costs?
i mean for desktop file sharing is OK but for ppc???

CoreyJF
06-03-2004, 06:29 PM
you are talking about file sharing over wifi :!: do you know how much power does it costs?

Power consumption can be reduced, hopefully fuel cells will actually manifest in our lifetimes. As Wifi networks become more ubiquitous, and Battery life improves, I think a lot of people could find some use for mobile file sharing.

KenClunk
06-03-2004, 07:02 PM
Who cares about the power consumtion. Seriously anyone?? Plus the main point is that thr RIAA won't be checking file sharing on PPC's for at least another five or so years. I defintially know this will catch on. No matter how crappy the program might be. Have you ever used the first version of napster?? It was horrible...yet so sweet.

My 2 cents: This is the next big thing.

Kowalski
06-03-2004, 11:55 PM
Who cares about the power consumtion
me! i dont care how much the battery technology improves, i'll never leave my device open all day long

Darius Wey
06-04-2004, 04:01 AM
i mean for desktop file sharing is OK but for ppc???

We'll see! PPCs were a rare find when they first came out, but now, they're increasing in numbers and use, and will soon be up there with the PCs in terms of application use.

Gutsandglory
06-04-2004, 04:48 AM
yeah great, more ways for people to steal music.

Darius Wey
06-04-2004, 04:55 AM
yeah great, more ways for people to steal music.

Yeh..I can see this concept from a negative viewpoint...and sadly, a lot of people only view filesharing from this viewpoint. However, for the positive purposes this concept will serve, I'm sure it'll be beneficial for all its users who use it with good intentions. Hopefully, this thought will kick into those who do damage to our audio recording industries.