View Full Version : ActiveSync - don't want to rename device

rburleyson
06-02-2004, 04:43 PM
We use a standard naming convention for PPC devices and are seeing a problem when we swap out a users computer.

When you install ActiveSync you are asked if you want to sync with this computer only, which we typically answer Yes.

We lease our computers, so when a PPC user gets a new computer and tries to configure ActiveSync he/she gets the infamous "Device name already exists", "Please enter a new name" message. :evil: Obviously there is not a partnership with the computer yet, so I am thinking the PPC remembers that you told it you only wanted to sync with this computer (the old one).

Is there a way to create the partnership without renaming the device? :?:

bluevolume
06-02-2004, 05:11 PM
The only reason you need to rename the PPC is that the ActiveSync already has a partnership setup for a PPC with the same name. If you delete that old partnership, you won't have to rename your PPC.

ActiveSync doesn't just identify your PPC by its name -- that way if you do decide to change the name on your PPC, your existing partnerships will still work.

Blue

rburleyson
06-02-2004, 06:46 PM
Thanks Blue. But I think it is the handheld that has a partnership with the old computer that is the problem.

If you open ActiveSync on the desktop without the PPC in the cradle (in order to delete the partnership), there are no partnerships defined.

Is there a reg key on the PPC or something that has the old partnership info with the old computer? Does that make sense?

Sven Johannsen
06-02-2004, 07:39 PM
That actually does make sense.

I take it that the new PC has the identical name the old one did. Which is the opposite problem most folks have. I don't know that anyone has figured out how to delete partnerships off the PPC, though there a a number of products that will allow for more than 2.

Have you tried, as a test, adding a suffix to the PC name, syncing (a new partnership picking the delete the old option) and then change the name of the PC to what you really want?

You can change the PPC name after creating a partnership without a problem, never tried changing the PC name.

wocket
06-02-2004, 08:48 PM
There is a little bit of freeware that allows muliple patnerships pocket multipartnerships (http://www.thaipocketpc.net/product/pocketmultipartnersync.aspx) :)

That should hopfully sort you out. If you don't have a 2003 device then you will also need the .NET compact framework installed.